Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
Grjfer

Tennessee, North Carolina winter travel recommendations

Being as my grandchildren are Florida born babies, we are looking to take them to see real snow. Time frame is middle of February, with destinations being around Gatlinburg, Tellico Plains Tennessee including the Tennessee North Carolina state line area. Looking for recommendations, or comments. Does not have to be a campground, but cabin rentals are a plus.
Grjfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
Fireman286

The way this year is going you would have a hard time finding much snow. Ober Gatlinburg uses snow blowers to make snow for the ski slopes, and I believe they have a snow tubing section y’all may enjoy.
Fireman286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

In a normal year, by mid January, we have around 6' (72") of snow on the ground and snowmobiling/skiing are well underway. This year, we've only had around 48" of snow and most of that melted within a few days of falling. We actually had some 40F temps in January, unheard of (typically)...

Current snow on the ground is less than 12" in most places outside the "machine driven slope snow" at ski resorts. Our yard is only about 6" deep. This is a very unusual year, but the Farmer's Almanac projected a colder than usual with very little snowfall winter.... So far, it's accurate.

Here's a comparison chart for the northern half of Michigan's lower peninsula
https://www.weather.gov/apx/snowgraph_ytd

Most people we've talked to further south have related little to no snow. Even in southwest Ohio, with the recent storm, it's all but melted and little additional is forcasted.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:07 AM   #4
notanlines

Grjfer, I have it on good authority that Vernon (xrated) has very little to do this time of the year and would be glad to help you out! He lives in Murvil (Maryville to the rest of us), right close to the North Carolina/Tennessee line so it's too cold for his usual activities!
All kidding aside, contact him through PM and I'll bet he can help you out with some destinations y'all will enjoy.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
ken56

No snow on the ground here in TN....or NC for that matter. You might have to go way up to Mt. Mitchell on the BRP north of Asheville to find it. Maybe Mt. Le Conte or Clingmans Dome too but it all depends on mother nature. Cabin rentals are plentiful just do a google search. Maggie Valley has plenty of cabins available too. Take them to the Biltmore or the Museum of the Cherokee Indian or Wheels Through Time Museum. Lots of fun for kids in the Pigeon Forge/G'burg area too. The best bet mentioned is Ober Gatlinburg because they make snow and they have an awesome tubing hill for the kids although its been too warm to make snow.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #6
Grjfer

Thank you everyone for the replys. We are going to do be staying in the Sevierville area. I totally understand weather and snow is a guessing game. Hopefully up in elevation we can find some.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #7
xrated

Most likely, if you go up high enough in the mountains, you will find some snow cover. Having said that, be cautious. Some of the mountainous areas are very isolated and downright dangerous that time of year. For what you are wanting to do, I would probably try Ober Gatlinburg for the snowy area you want them to experience. The Smoky Mountains National Park has some unbelievably beautiful scenery in the winter time, but the road into it and through it gets closed at certain times of the year because of the snow/ice/ etc. There are certainly many isolated areas within the park that you can get into trouble quickly if not prepared for the conditions. And let's hope the Government shutdown is long over with by then, as that will affect whether the park is open or PARTIALLY open.

Also, and it's certainly a hit or miss proposition, there is a substantial herd of elk in the park area...closer to Cherokee, NC. I've seen them a couple of times when passing through on Rt. 441., but it's certainly not a sure thing...they set their own hours on when they are around to be seen! . If you do venture over to Tellico Plains, there is a small museum on S.R. 165 at the west end of town....lots of history there and if I remember correctly, it's free to walk through it. It's called the Charles Hall Museum. There is also a road that starts in Tellico Plains and runs ask the way over to Robbinsville, N.C. called the Cherohala Skyway...about 50 miles. Elevations reach about 6200-6300 feet and there is usual snow there quite a lot during the winter months. WARNING...the Skyway is almost completely isolated. Once you leave Tellico, there is nothing for the next 40 miles or so! No food, NO water, NO gas, NO houses, and during that time of the year mostly no people or vehicles. The road becomes impassable and is very dangerous. No cell signals in most places, so no calls for help if something goes wrong. Before I travelled that road in the winter, I would ask some locals what the conditions are before starting across it. It's isolated enough that I don't think TN or NC send snow plows up there...so think about that road long and hard before going on it. There are some absolutely beautiful/stunning views up there, but certainly not risking your life if the roads are snow covered.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
Grjfer

@xrated thank you very much for the information. I will definitely heed your warnings. I do have 4wd with new tires, and I have driven in snow and ice many times, however one can never be to careful.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #9
Modifier

Extreme East Tennessee temp. is in the mid 30's today. there is some snow on the Tennessee and North Carolina mountains but I don't recommend camping here in mid winter.
Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #10
jimborokz

I'd give you my home address, but upstate NY sounds farther than you want to travel. Last we heard there was 3-4 feet on the ground there, but all campgrounds are closed till spring. We came to Florida to get away from all that stuff.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #11
Tooth Ferry

seeing snow

We really like the Tellico area (CherokeeNatl Forest) for fall, summer, spring camping but not much to do there in winter especially for kids. Ober Gatlinburg an ok commercial area for kids to play but you probably will not find many natural snow areas except at the Newfound Gap area if the road is open.
Tooth Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter