Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service & Warranty Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #1
Fishsizzle

Alpine in after our “QC”

Took the Alipne in for our list of things that we needed addressed after our first summer with it.

Keystone approved all of them, including fixing the vinyl gouge from the bolt falling out from the dinning light. ( we will see what that ends up looking like)

Anyway, I got a call right after drop off last month That my breakaway switch was fried, and I’ve been driving around since I bought it in May with locked up brakes. Mind you I put over 5K on it this summer., brakes worked just fine.

I told them they could pull a wheel and look, but I would be doing any brake work myself.

I got a call today informing me that Keystone didn’t approve my “brake away issue” I said ok no big. I get the “it’s unsafe, yada yada yada.

They want $1550 to take off the front of the 5th wheel to trace the wires to junction box. And then take off all wheels and repack the bearing as they are sure “ they got hot” and melted all the grease in the bearings. But they said the brakes were fine after looking at them and didn’t need replaced

Am I missing something? Am I dumb and telling them to take a hike I’ll check the bearings myself and fix and fried wiring? Anyone have experience with the breakaway brake system?
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I haven’t worked on an alpine, but I would think the break away wiring is readily accessible from the back of the pin box. Break away is two wires, both are connected at the junction box of the umbilical cord, usually located in the pin box.

Me thinks you should wander over to your trailer (unannounced) and ask them to show you where the wiring is run.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I haven’t worked on an alpine, but I would think the break away wiring is readily accessible from the back of the pin box. Break away is two wires, both are connected at the junction box of the umbilical cord, usually located in the pin box.

Me thinks you should wander over to your trailer (unannounced) and ask them to show you where the wiring is run.
That’s what I thought, it should be easy just to pull through the front of trailer down to front where all the connections are.

Now I’m a bit worried that for some strange reason my trailer won’t move when I go to pick it up because brakes are magically frozen from the switch. I need to look over how they are wired so that if I need to move it I can clip a wire or move it off the battery connector.

Thanks for pointing me in right direction!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
hornet28

It doesn't matter which wire is the hot going in. All the switch does is break the circuit. When the pin is pulled the circuit is complete and the juice flows through and applies the brakes
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
It doesn't matter which wire is the hot going in. All the switch does is break the circuit. When the pin is pulled the circuit is complete and the juice flows through and applies the brakes

Kinda has me wondering, part of what I sent in was the pin box frame (what box bolts to) had a Bend in it. It had rust on it. When I picked it up new the teather from the breakaway was damaged and wire frayed. I had an extra tether wire I keep with me and just plugged it in.

So speculating that it might have been damaged in transit and was just “wired” open so the break a way wasn’t working. I guess I’ll see what’s up. Thanks everyone
Old 02-13-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
ChuckS

If it’s a new Alpine that issue should be covered 7nder warranty work from Keystone.. I own an Alpine.. more or less the same as a Montana..

Emergency brake wire harness is visible at back side of pin box.. there is a metal junction box there...wiring runs from there down inside the the front cargo bay compartment...

DC wire to battery from break away switch runs thru same area...

And if you had been towing with all four brakes engaged I’m just certain you would have smelled something.. you would have noticed the wheel hubs and tires wa6 hotter than normal.

And if they where engaged then I’d be replacing everything on both axles related to brakes, bearings, etc...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
jsmith948

Well - I think I would have a conversation with the service manager. Either the tech/service department doesn't know what they are talking about, or they are deliberately trying to scam you.
First of all, unless the brakes were way out of adjustment, you would have felt the brakes dragging. If not under power, certainly every time you let off the throttle to come to a stop.
I would be concerned about the other issues you are having them work on. To me, it is all about trust. Once you catch them in a lie, how can you be sure that everything else they say isn't BS.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:54 AM   #8
Fishsizzle

Agree on the trust issue, I feel like they are trying to scare me and don’t realize I’ve done my own brakes, packed bearing, rewiring etc.

No smells, no tire wear, no heat. In fact an awesome poster here I forget told me to carry one of these, and I check tire and brake drum temps every time I stop .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF132EAC-30AF-4EBA-8FDE-60C44ECA7FC8.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	20307  
Old 02-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Well - I think I would have a conversation with the service manager. Either the tech/service department doesn't know what they are talking about, or they are deliberately trying to scam you.
First of all, unless the brakes were way out of adjustment, you would have felt the brakes dragging. If not under power, certainly every time you let off the throttle to come to a stop.
I would be concerned about the other issues you are having them work on. To me, it is all about trust. Once you catch them in a lie, how can you be sure that everything else they say isn't BS.

Agree, in fact I was moving it around town one afternoon and forgot to plug it in. Man I did notice that the brake were not working. I stopped in middle of the Turn lane and figured out I forgot. There was no mistaking the brakes work. In fact we would be dead if they didn’t
Old 02-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

This is strictly a hypothetical cause, but have you considered that as they were moving your trailer around the lot, something hung on the breakaway cable, pulled the pin and THEY (not you) melted the breakaway switch, wiring and magnets????? Seems to me it would be difficult/next to impossible for someone (you) familiar with the way a trailer tows, to not feel the brakes dragging as they pulled it into the service department for warranty repairs.

I'd think it's likely (not 100% sure) to be a problem they caused rather than one you caused. As said, if the brakes burned up, it should be a warranty issue or a dealer caused issue, but the problem then becomes: How the heck do you prove it ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #11
ajk170

JRTJH- Boy, you sure paint a scary picture that I can see in several of the dealers (whom I won't name) that we've dealt with in our short four years of ownership with our 316RL and now my in-laws Alpine 3800FK (in some ways I feel like the DW and I are co-owners, but since it's family, it's all good!). I do think that's one reason to do an "inventory" when turning it over to a dealer- but would dealer's even be willing to entertain such an inspection? In my profession such an inventory is common place when giving equipment over to a new party to prevent your hypothetical scenario.
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Fishsizzle - I think John is on point. You're knowledgeable, check temps etc. and you haven't flattened one side of your tires (as would have happened by the dealership assertion). IMO they are pulling one on you. $1500 to check some wiring??? Really??

I would take the info they gave you, grab the GM/owner and show him, have him grab the service manager and tell them we were "going to take a walk" - then go thru their little explanation. It sounds way bogus to me.

I've had my awning torn off, scrapes on the side of the trailer, bent steps, bent roof ladder, and any number of "things" happen while at the dealership that they "didn't know about". They were fixed, at times after some tenuous face offs, but they got done. I'm afraid you may be facing something like that. Good luck!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
Fishsizzle

[QUOTE=sourdough;326541]Fishsizzle - I think John is on point. You're knowledgeable, check temps etc. and you haven't flattened one side of your tires (as would have happened by the dealership assertion). IMO they are pulling one on you. $1500 to check some wiring??? Really??

I would take the info they gave you, grab the GM/owner and show him, have him grab the service manager and tell them we were "going to take a walk" - then go thru their little explanation. It sounds way bogus to me.

I've had my awning torn off, scrapes on the side of the trailer, bent steps, bent roof ladder, and any number of "things" happen while at the dealership that they "didn't know about". They were fixed, at times after some tenuous face offs, but they got done. I'm afraid you may be facing something like that. Good luck![/QUOTE

Thanks everyone, I’ll let you all know how it goes. Being told I’ll have to sign a release now to take my trailer when they are done with the warranty work.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:10 AM   #14
ChuckS

I’d have to take my own paper work “release” and tell the dealership you sign mine and I’ll sign yours...

Had that break away box failed and been activated there is just no way you would not have known the brakes were all on..
For one thing the batteries and brake magnet wiring would have been screaming hot.

The whole ordeal sounds like the dealership screwed up and is trying to go “fishing” and make a lot of money from you...

Wishing you good luck with a successful and non stressful outcome

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:31 AM   #15
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I’d have to take my own paper work “release” and tell the dealership you sign mine and I’ll sign yours...

Had that break away box failed and been activated there is just no way you would not have known the brakes were all on..
For one thing the batteries and brake magnet wiring would have been screaming hot.

The whole ordeal sounds like the dealership screwed up and is trying to go “fishing” and make a lot of money from you...

Wishing you good luck with a successful and non stressful outcome

I believe you are correct. Before I pick it up I’ll go in and ask to see what’s exactly going on and ask for the paperwork to run by the lawyer. Have a few that are clients
Old 02-14-2019, 10:21 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

They want YOU to sign a document before they will "allow" you to take your trailer off their lot???? I'd present them with the payment book and tell them that until they release YOUR property to you, they can make the payments !!!!!

There's just too much "that doesn't add up" with what you're being told.... Something just ain't right with this !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-14-2019, 09:36 PM   #17
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
They want YOU to sign a document before they will "allow" you to take your trailer off their lot???? I'd present them with the payment book and tell them that until they release YOUR property to you, they can make the payments !!!!!

There's just too much "that doesn't add up" with what you're being told.... Something just ain't right with this !!!!!
Yes, they are trying to play me, I’ve been sure of that from the get go.

I won’t sign anything, I think it’s a bluff, but will find out I guess. I took it in. It worked fine for 5000+ miles, so they need to prove whatever it is they claim is wrong, didn’t happen after I dropped it off cause it worked when I dropped it off.

I can’t make this crap up! Can’t belive that they would think am dumb enough to fall for their line.

I will go and pop the grease cap on a hub and show them the grease if I have to.

Thanks guys and will update as it unfolds
Old 02-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Good Luck and keep us posted. I think the majority of members are on your side and rooting for your success.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #19
hankpage
Site Team

That's one heck of a testament for you F250 ... "towed 5k with brakes on and never even knew it!" I have had some joker pull my breakaway cable while we were eating at a truck stop and let me tell you, you will notice it.
I also don't understand that they admitted that your brake shoes where fine but think the bearings were overheated. The breakaway switch applies the brakes fully and if adjusted even close to correctly ( which should have been done in dealer prep) there would be no way you could pull it. Not dissing your Ford but JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:53 PM   #20
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
That's one heck of a testament for you F250 ... "towed 5k with brakes on and never even knew it!" I have had some joker pull my breakaway cable while we were eating at a truck stop and let me tell you, you will notice it.
I also don't understand that they admitted that your brake shoes where fine but think the bearings were overheated. The breakaway switch applies the brakes fully and if adjusted even close to correctly ( which should have been done in dealer prep) there would be no way you could pull it. Not dissing your Ford but JM2¢, Hank

Understood on the Ford. Yes they must think the turnip truck bucked me off just a few days ago.

Tags
alpine