Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2019, 09:25 AM   #1
jimnnee95

Leaking window

Good afternoon everyone...had a question for the group and wanted to make sure I was on the right track. This weekend it rained pretty good and one of the windows on my slide started leaking. It gets bad when the rain is streaming down the side of the slide. It leaks down the wall and down to the carpet and storage area under the kitchen table.

I am going to use some clear RTV and seal around the window frame and also seal around the roof of the slide out. I was just wondering if anyone else had any kind of similar issue.

Thanks,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	22286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	22287  
jimnnee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:35 AM   #2
Frank G

Seal the window from the outside only, dig out the old Silicone and reapply. Do not use silicone on the roof, use Dicor sealant.

You may want to remove the window to get a good seal.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
jimnnee95

Thanks Frank! That was my thought sealing it from the outside. Good call on the Dicor sealant. I haven't used that before. Are you referring to the Dicor self-leveling lap sealant?
jimnnee95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
travelin texans

DO NOT use silicone!
You're better off removing the window, cleaning all the sufaces very well, then add butyl tape, found at rv stores& some hardware stores, around the edges then reinstall the window.
In my opinion silicone is just a band aid fix, hard to remove later when the window still leaks & looks like crap!
Repair it right the 1st time & done!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:15 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I think I would give it a very close look over first to try and identify where the leak is coming from if for no other reason than my own education. It looks like you have a 13 model so it could be a few things.

New butyl around the window would be the way I think I would go instead of trying to "spot" seal suspected areas. Make sure you don't have any screw heads that have the potential of leaking. Dicor makes self leveling and non leveling sealants. Use whatever is appropriate for the location you are sealing (flat=self leveling, vertical/semi vertical=non self leveling). Good luck on finding it and fixing it.

If when doing a close up inspection you find the butyl has cracked, has separations or some other problem (even if it's not the butyl), be sure and check ALL the other windows and your sealing in general if you haven't. Sealants have a way of drying out and cracking leaving some almost invisible cracks that can leak water.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
DO NOT use silicone!
You're better off removing the window, cleaning all the sufaces very well, then add butyl tape, found at rv stores& some hardware stores, around the edges then reinstall the window.
In my opinion silicone is just a band aid fix, hard to remove later when the window still leaks & looks like crap!
Not to debate the better fix, but the reality is on our 2017 Laredo everything is sealed with clear silicone. I cannot find the use of Butyl tape anywhere. Next time I am at a RV show I have one more thing to look for, sealing methods.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #7
roadglide

My camper Did the same thing I found where they put the window frame on the outside . The vertical aluminum seams was letting water in . I filled it with silicone that stop the water from coming in
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
Not to debate the better fix, but the reality is on our 2017 Laredo everything is sealed with clear silicone. I cannot find the use of Butyl tape anywhere. Next time I am at a RV show I have one more thing to look for, sealing methods.

Frank, mine is a 14 so maybe things have changed but look at your HWH exterior access etc. Mine are butyl tape. Windows look the same under the frames (frameless) but have not pulled one to find out.

As my unit has been worked on a LOT, I've asked about the term of "silicone" and what they actually use at the dealership. My fenders came off many times; they were replaced over and over. Every time they put this color coordinated bead down the edge that was really nice. I asked the SM what that sealer was because I wanted to get it....the answer "silicone". I say, really? The stuff you put on is pliable, thin, has all kinds of colors in it and actually comes off if I start pulling on one end....silicone won't. Well he says, it's not 100% silicone, you can't get THAT off. So, what is it? We use Dicor colored sealants that have silicone in them! Do they? I don't know, I've never read what's in the tube. Does it work? For me they do. I know I can't remove silicone worth a flip in all kinds of applications that I've used them. Some, they are the best choice, trying to seal an RV, when you may have to address the issue again....I'm not a fan.

I think there is a complication in that folks call 100% silicone "silicone" and others call anything with silicone in it "silicone". No comparison between the 2 in my experience. JMO/YMMV
Old 06-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Best repair is to do as mentioned above. Remove the window, clean off the failed tape/putty and apply new.

I’ve seen windows come from the factory with the gap in the putty at the top, windows installed upside down so the weep holes were on top and the hole cut too big in the coach.

More often than not, a sealant such as proseal is applied to the top and sides after the window is installed.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #10
travelin texans

Quote:
As others have stated it's a "silicone like" product, but much better suited for the job than the "silicone" you'll buy at the hardware store.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 06:18 PM   #11
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Best repair is to do as mentioned above. Remove the window, clean off the failed tape/putty and apply new.

I’ve seen windows come from the factory with the gap in the putty at the top, windows installed upside down so the weep holes were on top and the hole cut too big in the coach.

More often than not, a sealant such as proseal is applied to the top and sides after the window is installed.
You must be talking about Pro-Seal 34, could only find it on Amazon, about $30.00/tube +$15.00 shipping. Hope it is worth it.

BTW Thanks for the Info.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:43 PM   #12
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Frank, mine is a 14 so maybe things have changed but look at your HWH exterior access etc. Mine are butyl tape. Windows look the same under the frames (frameless) but have not pulled one to find out.

As my unit has been worked on a LOT, I've asked about the term of "silicone" and what they actually use at the dealership. My fenders came off many times; they were replaced over and over. Every time they put this color coordinated bead down the edge that was really nice. I asked the SM what that sealer was because I wanted to get it....the answer "silicone". I say, really? The stuff you put on is pliable, thin, has all kinds of colors in it and actually comes off if I start pulling on one end....silicone won't. Well he says, it's not 100% silicone, you can't get THAT off. So, what is it? We use Dicor colored sealants that have silicone in them! Do they? I don't know, I've never read what's in the tube. Does it work? For me they do. I know I can't remove silicone worth a flip in all kinds of applications that I've used them. Some, they are the best choice, trying to seal an RV, when you may have to address the issue again....I'm not a fan.

I think there is a complication in that folks call 100% silicone "silicone" and others call anything with silicone in it "silicone". No comparison between the 2 in my experience. JMO/YMMV
A picture of the HWH, 10/2018 (RV Repairman after Lightning Strike) This picture should blow up well. A large black coating on the bottom to prevent leaks. Take a look at all the surrounding trim, everything has this nice bead of clear sealant, whatever it is.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Heater.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	22299  
Old 06-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
A picture of the HWH, 10/2018 (RV Repairman after Lightning Strike) This picture should blow up well. A large black coating on the bottom to prevent leaks. Take a look at all the surrounding trim, everything has this nice bead of clear sealant, whatever it is.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Frank, I don't have any idea what that guy did, BUT, if he took that HWH, slapped it in the hole then ran some silicone around the edges....he did you a great disservice.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #14
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Frank, I don't have any idea what that guy did, BUT, if he took that HWH, slapped it in the hole then ran some silicone around the edges....he did you a great disservice.
All he was doing was replacing one of the electrical gizmo's, The HWH installation is original to the unit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HWH Safety.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	22300  
Old 06-17-2019, 05:32 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Ah! That would explain that! Thanks.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

I would bet there is butyl or putty tape behind the frame.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
sonofcy

Quote:
You must be talking about Pro-Seal 34, could only find it on Amazon, about $30.00/tube +$15.00 shipping. Hope it is worth it.

BTW Thanks for the Info.
Is this the same stuff? I tried asking for Canadian sources but the website contact page goes 404 after a few seconds.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0620949;jsessionid=538DC9D71904FC426DBDE4E3C973606 5.fcomjvm04?r=~|ismadeinusa:Yes|~%20~|manufacturer :^"Fastenal%20Approved%20Vendor"$|~%20~|categoryl1 :"601680%20Chemicals%209and%20Paints"|~%20~|catego ryl2:"601795%20Silicones,%20Caulks,%20and%20Sealan ts"|~%20~|categoryl3:"601796%20Caulks%209and%20Sea lants"|~
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:19 PM   #18
idcruiserman

Remove the window and replace or install butyl tape. Piece of cake.
idcruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:01 PM   #19
bbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
DO NOT use silicone!
What he said. It is an easy job.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak