Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
Dale Allen

Fuzion 429 Quality Disappointed

Has anyone else had quality issues with their Fuzion 429? I've had mine about 6 months and use it monthly with my family. During that time I've become a little disappointed in the build quality from Keystone.
1.Two different location at the door and a slide out the trim is buckled
2.Screen on a window keeps falling out
3 Rear ramp door with electronic lock will not open from the outside. My walk thru it wouldn't open and General Rv said they fixed it..guess I should have checked behind them.
4 Inside release cable for the ramp door came apart and wasn't crimped very well or tightened on the electronic lock.
5. Main A/C has very little air flow from the ducts even after I tried to adjust it.
6. Trim on the outside fuel station is coming off due to sheet metal screw not holding it tight.Why not use a small bolt with an acorn nut on each corner of the trim to keep it in place?
7.Top trim on main slide corner come off (particle board Trim)only held on with two small finishing nails.
8.While reattaching that I noticed in the overhead bunk a 1/4 inch gap all the way down the base of the bunk and only seen if you actually get in the bunk.
I like the hauler but starting to feel disappointed in the build quality of a high Fuzion
Dale Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
Customer1

In my experience all RVs suffer from poor quality workmanship. All RVs are a bit of a DIY situation. Good luck on getting the bugs worked out.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
Dale Allen

Thank you..I have a warranty appointment in a few weeks most of them are minor and an easy fix,besides the rear door. I guess I just expected more from Keystone
Dale Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

If you're expecting perfection....RVs will be a huge disappointment. It doesn't matter if it's Keystone, Jayco, Forest River etc. etc. - they ALL have faults when you receive them unless you, and the dealer, do a thorough walk thru and identify everything that needs repairs. Even then, trim, doo dahs etc. come loose and fail. It's not a Keystone fault....it's buying an RV. A person has to be proficient at repairs and understand that they will be responsible for them...if you want to use your trailer much.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:19 PM   #5
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
If you're expecting perfection....RVs will be a huge disappointment. It doesn't matter if it's Keystone, Jayco, Forest River etc. etc. - they ALL have faults when you receive them unless you, and the dealer, do a thorough walk thru and identify everything that needs repairs. Even then, trim, doo dahs etc. come loose and fail. It's not a Keystone fault....it's buying an RV. A person has to be proficient at repairs and understand that they will be responsible for them...if you want to use your trailer much.
That’s for sure. Seems like every time I take the RV out, there is something to repair. This week one of the LED ceiling lights decided to strobe so I replaced it with one of the new spares that Command Electronics sent awhile back. Since it was a bad batch of lights, I’ll eventually end up replacing all of them.

Also had to replace the release cable for my recliner chair since the cheap metal cable used in the pull handle was starting to fray badly.

Like you said, there is always something that needs repairs or maintenance on a RV. I’m just thankful that nothing major has failed so far and everything that has gone wrong was a fairly easy DIY.
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 AM   #6
Fishsizzle

It used to drive me nuts, every RV we’ve owned has these “quirks” and quality issues. I believe firmly that the consumer is the QC for the units, it’s up to us to get the stuff fixed in first year.

I could never imagine the $150k 5th wheels, but can see why now, these must be built that much better. But Your Fuzion has an MSRP north of $90k which one would hope they’d take some pride in building.

Lighter means cheaper as far as components, so I could see RVs getting massively heavy if better components were used.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:21 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

RV, stands for:
Repair
Vehicle

Like sourdough said, it isn’t just Keystone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:57 AM   #8
Racebug

Had most of those same problems with mine, and you will find more! I was unhappy at first, but after fixing most in a half hour I am a "pro camper trim repairer"

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
Customer1

The selling dealer is critical. An RV tech is supposed to do a thorough PDI before the buyer arrives for the walk thru and delivery. Some dealer techs will just skim over things and move on leaving the buyer to deal with all the issues. A good tech inspects and tests every component and system. That good tech will spend 8 to 12 hours on the PDI.

A top quality dealer will fix everything prior to delivery and the buyer gets a perfect RV. The dealer is a critical component in a good RV buying experience. If you receive an RV with obvious issues at delivery, you got screwed by the dealer.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:13 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
It used to drive me nuts, every RV we’ve owned has these “quirks” and quality issues. I believe firmly that the consumer is the QC for the units, it’s up to us to get the stuff fixed in first year.

I could never imagine the $150k 5th wheels, but can see why now, these must be built that much better. But Your Fuzion has an MSRP north of $90k which one would hope they’d take some pride in building.

Lighter means cheaper as far as components, so I could see RVs getting massively heavy if better components were used.
The next time you have a Saturday afternoon with nothing to do, spend it in a $1.5 million DP motorhome. You'll find almost the same type "fit and finish" issues, split molding, staples showing, glue "exudate" on walls and ceilings, mis-aligned components, doors that stick, and many more "issues" that the factory overlooked....

I think, for me, it sunk home when I was watching an RV program on TV. It was about people selecting their RV and the process. A couple chose a $2 million motorhome, DW didn't like the drawers at the end of a counter that moved with the slide, so the "excellent" service team was tasked with removing the drawers. They replaced them with a blank sheet of plywood that matched the cabinets. Just before delivery, as soon as the stain dried on that mod, they closed the slide, punched a hole in that new mod, and rather than notify the customer and fix it correctly, they installed a "pretty medallion over the hole". That told me all I needed to know about "quality of workmanship" and it's not just in "cheap stuff" but the same holds true for the multi-million dollar "top of the line" coaches.

It's not the trim that's "bad" or "ill performing" it's the people. And it doesn't matter if it's a $13,000 Hideout or a $1.3 million Dutch Star, you'll find areas to criticize the "fit and finish".

ADDED: I've posted this before but will again. I've got a friend with a $1.5 million DP motorhome. They full time in it during the winters and live in their S&B during the summer. They've owned it for about 4 years and all 4 years, they've driven it to the factory, flown home and gone back to pick it up after the factory fixes things they found on the "latest and greatest trip. Things like a new diesel power plant, the windshield fell out on the interstate, not "little things" like a buckled piece of molding".... What were they thinking when they built it and when they delivered it ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:52 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
The selling dealer is critical. An RV tech is supposed to do a thorough PDI before the buyer arrives for the walk thru and delivery. Some dealer techs will just skim over things and move on leaving the buyer to deal with all the issues. A good tech inspects and tests every component and system. That good tech will spend 8 to 12 hours on the PDI.

A top quality dealer will fix everything prior to delivery and the buyer gets a perfect RV. The dealer is a critical component in a good RV buying experience. If you receive an RV with obvious issues at delivery, you got screwed by the dealer.

PDI time is based on the unit size. My previous dealer gave me as little as 2 1/2 hrs for a Jayco jay feather and as much as 7 1/2 hrs for a triple axle toy hauler. Present dealer gives 4 1/2 for a towable and 7 1/2 for drivable. We are trying to change that as a 25 foot no slides trailer can be done in 3 and a 3 axle TH takes about 5.

Doing the PDI is only part of it. What the dealer does to address any issues is just as key. Customer buys on a Saturday, wants it by Wednesday, tech finds a tank is leaking from a screw. What do you do?

We DONT patch, we tell the customer and most often times they understand. I just finished a 2019 Coachman Pursuit. It wouldn’t pass an LP leakdown test. Ended up delivering 2 weeks later after fighting with the factory and getting ok to replace ALL the LP lines.

In a high volume dealership, things can get missed or ignored in the rush to get it “over the curb”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:31 PM   #12
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The next time you have a Saturday afternoon with nothing to do, spend it in a $1.5 million DP motorhome. You'll find almost the same type "fit and finish" issues, split molding, staples showing, glue "exudate" on walls and ceilings, mis-aligned components, doors that stick, and many more "issues" that the factory overlooked....

I think, for me, it sunk home when I was watching an RV program on TV. It was about people selecting their RV and the process. A couple chose a $2 million motorhome, DW didn't like the drawers at the end of a counter that moved with the slide, so the "excellent" service team was tasked with removing the drawers. They replaced them with a blank sheet of plywood that matched the cabinets. Just before delivery, as soon as the stain dried on that mod, they closed the slide, punched a hole in that new mod, and rather than notify the customer and fix it correctly, they installed a "pretty medallion over the hole". That told me all I needed to know about "quality of workmanship" and it's not just in "cheap stuff" but the same holds true for the multi-million dollar "top of the line" coaches.

It's not the trim that's "bad" or "ill performing" it's the people. And it doesn't matter if it's a $13,000 Hideout or a $1.3 million Dutch Star, you'll find areas to criticize the "fit and finish".

ADDED: I've posted this before but will again. I've got a friend with a $1.5 million DP motorhome. They full time in it during the winters and live in their S&B during the summer. They've owned it for about 4 years and all 4 years, they've driven it to the factory, flown home and gone back to pick it up after the factory fixes things they found on the "latest and greatest trip. Things like a new diesel power plant, the windshield fell out on the interstate, not "little things" like a buckled piece of molding".... What were they thinking when they built it and when they delivered it ?????
That doesn’t make feel any better!

I’ve never been in a Luxe, DRW or landmark, Redwood.. I just assumed they were built “better” because of the price. (Maybe it’s the pint job!)

I have been in a vilano, and I must say their woodwork was insanely good. Also back in their heyday, Beaver had incredible woodwork. But I do realize that a vast majority of parts for any RV come out of the same bin so to speak. From a hideout to a marathon, I’m sure they share more parts than a marathon owner would ever want to know.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #13
Nelljal

Haven't seen a well made RV under $250,000 yet. Good luck General Rv only allows a few 5-7 items .repaired du
ring camping season. Their
Get you out camping idea!

NELLJAL
17 Fuzion 369
08 F250 Diesel
Nelljal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:41 AM   #14
NevadaRich

Dale,
Sorry to hear about your Fuzion, I had one in 2015, did a full PDI, which after the guy did his thing, I went over everything like I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't tell him I have had 5 other RV's....He stayed with me and I found about 6 things for them to fix, I tell everyone not to take it off the lot till things are fixed.....Anyway Our first trip from Nevada to Texas, every time we stopped I had to check one of the inside doors kept opening, then other things began to fall out of alignment...I know how to fix just about everything, but This Fuzion was so bad, I turned it in when we got back and tried another Toy Hauler, it was better, but I have done a lot of repairs on this one, but its been better, I hope you have better luck getting all the repairs done, but like everyone else has stated, you have to make a lot of repairs on your own, and they will be better repaired....
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
KeystoneKal

If you want to see rv construction at its lowest level go to the Jayco video on YouTube.
The workers are literally running from station to station during assembly.
The title is “building a Jayco travel trailer in 7 hours....pure junk.”
So much for Amish craftsmanship.
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #16
Electribluemega

2019 Fuzion 429

I Understand that RV,s are always going to have fit and finish problems. However, my stove was bent and the counter top in the bathroom was blemished. Flagged at PDI. Still waiting for the dealer to fix 3 months later. Additionally both skylights cracked. Looks like the over tightening the screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDDD9852-6D36-4562-9D6B-B1BE85A7642F.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	22179  
Electribluemega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #17
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electribluemega View Post
I Understand that RV,s are always going to have fit and finish problems. However, my stove was bent and the counter top in the bathroom was blemished. Flagged at PDI. Still waiting for the dealer to fix 3 months later. Additionally both skylights cracked. Looks like the over tightening the screws.
Bummer sorry that’s just sucks
Old 06-09-2019, 05:05 PM   #18
KeystoneKal

If you watch the YouTube video taken at the Jayco assembly plant all your questions about quality and workmanship will be answered.��
KeystoneKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:09 AM   #19
mlk1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneKal View Post
If you watch the YouTube video taken at the Jayco assembly plant all your questions about quality and workmanship will be answered.��
Yep, that does answer that question. The sad fact is, I owned a 78 Allegro several years back, and that seemed to be thrown together just like these. So this has been going on for a long, long time. You would think that they would step in and stiffen the regulations on quality.
mlk1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #20
mikz86ta

#6. Our 420 had similar issue. A couple wheel fender screws were missing or not tight. Or in at angle. Upon fixing myself....one was because there was thick metal behind that particular screw, that's those screws could not penetrate. Instead of pre-drilling, they just left it as-is.
Which leads into my next point. They are trying to get these done fast. Cheap self tap screws. If it goes in at angle, well it's in. If it looks in but not tight, good enough. If there's an obstruction, well maybe someone won't notice.
A screw and bolt = more time added = less profit. Simple math for time and labor savings.
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion, quality