Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #1
jsmith948

Rain, rain & more rain

Living in the Central Valley of California, we see about 6" or 7" of rain in a year and that's a wet year.

We just spent five days at South Beach SP in Oregon. It rained every day. Sometimes off and on throughout the day and, on one particular day, it rained in the morning and we had beautiful clear, sunny skies all afternoon. Even dug out the grill!

Currently, we are at Bullards Beach SP (about 116 miles south). And...it has rained every day - all day. We've had some gusting winds as well.

Now - don't misunderstand - this is by no means meant to be negative or a complaint. We are actually enjoying the wet weather. It has been a very relaxing time hanging out in the camper and even driving around Bandon and doing some sight seeing. One thing about the rain, it tends to thin out the camp ground population!

A bit more about these Oregon SPs. The sites are clean and well spaced. The trees are trimmed back so as not to interfere with slides and awnings. There are plenty of volunteer hosts who keep the place really, really clean and the price is right. So, if you are tired of smoggy skies and the dry, dusty conditions caused by the agriculture in central California, head on up to the Oregon coast. This rugged, rocky coastline is simply beautiful.

Rain be damned - camping in the rain is better than not camping - any day!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
Logan X

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post

Rain be damned - camping in the rain is better than not camping - any day!
Amen to that!
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
travelin texans

Your in the Pacific northwest that's it's normal weather, rain with a chance of more tomorrow!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #4
Tonkatoy77

You coming here reminded me of a saying one of our past governors had.

“I urge them to come and come many, many times to enjoy the beauty of Oregon. But I also ask them, for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live.” Tom McCall

I’m glad you enjoyed your visit. Did you make it to the Rogue brewery while you were in town?
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #5
jsb5717

No doubt, our Springs are often wet, sometimes very wet, especially at the coast. Our Summers, on the other hand, are often beautiful and warm...even at the coast.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
Number 4

It's been a wet winter/spring in California too. I just checked a rainfall total web site which says Northern & Central CA are 110-120% of normal rainfall and Southern CA is as much as 162% (Palm Springs). The California drought is officially over! I heard from a friend who tried to make reservations at Bodega Dunes State Beach (pictured below in my signature) that the dunes campground is flooded and closed indefinitely.

As Jack knows, all this rain means lots of fast growing grasses and weeds that create high fire potential in the summer. The town of Paradise was literally wiped off the map by a fire last year, so I love the rain but there's a flip side later on.

I'll keep that info about the Oregon SP's in mind for the future. Sounds great!

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
notanlines

Tonkatoy, a little 'Devils advocate here:' We're all curious how your family settled in Oregon if you knew the governor wasn't welcoming you....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
No doubt, our Springs are often wet, sometimes very wet, especially at the coast. Our Summers, on the other hand, are often beautiful and warm...even at the coast.
So true, but there are time when it is hot in the Willamette Valley and the Marine layer will linger at the coast. That is when it gets real crazy, as many will come for the cool of the coast.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #9
hornet28

jsmith948 We're going to be at Bullard in June and then up the coast and stay at Sea and Sand RV Park just north of Depoe Bay. When you were at South Beach did you go to the aquarium? If so was it as good as it looks in their ads? Thanks for any info
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #10
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Tonkatoy, a little 'Devils advocate here:' We're all curious how your family settled in Oregon if you knew the governor wasn't welcoming you....
Ha...that quote was about 35 years ago and hasn't slowed anyone down from moving here. Construction in the Portland Metro area is out of control and traffic is miserable.

It's still a beautiful part of the country and our State Parks are great. You just need to plan 9 months ahead if you want a weekend stay in many of them.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #11
Tonkatoy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

My moms side of the family came here in the 1840’s and still live on the donation land claim the government gave them when they got here. My dad’s side of the family came here in the late 1800’s from Missouri. I’m not sure about their history.

Tom McCall saw all of the people coming here in droves from California and could tell they were changing the way Oregon was being ran. Turns out he was absolutely right.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:56 PM   #12
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
jsmith948 We're going to be at Bullard in June and then up the coast and stay at Sea and Sand RV Park just north of Depoe Bay. When you were at South Beach did you go to the aquarium? If so was it as good as it looks in their ads? Thanks for any info
The aquarium is well worth the time.
We thought the glass tunnels through the aquarium tanks were awesome. The nearby science center is neat as well. If you have time, check out the Yaquina Head Lighthouse.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 04-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #13
hornet28

Thanks jsmith948
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:58 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
My moms side of the family came here in the 1840’s and still live on the donation land claim the government gave them when they got here. My dad’s side of the family came here in the late 1800’s from Missouri. I’m not sure about their history.

Tom McCall saw all of the people coming here in droves from California and could tell they were changing the way Oregon was being ran. Turns out he was absolutely right.

As it now is in CO/NM - a lot. Saw lots of them in FL this winter... (not a shot at all folks from CA. Met some good ones but more of those that live in a world not associated with real life).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 AM   #15
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
You coming here reminded me of a saying one of our past governors had.

“I urge them to come and come many, many times to enjoy the beauty of Oregon. But I also ask them, for heaven’s sake, don’t move here to live.” Tom McCall

I’m glad you enjoyed your visit. Did you make it to the Rogue brewery while you were in town?
We have camped in 24 of the lower 48 states and have experienced attitudes similar to what you and Sourdough have expressed regarding Californians in many if those states.

You know, I have never had a business, in any of those states, and especially Oregon, refuse to take my money!

Maybe you should petition your respective legislators to build a fence/wall and post a sign banning Californians?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 04-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
We have camped in 24 of the lower 48 states and have experienced attitudes similar to what you and Sourdough have expressed regarding Californians in many if those states.

You know, I have never had a business, in any of those states, and especially Oregon, refuse to take my money!

Maybe you should petition your respective legislators to build a fence/wall and post a sign banning Californians?

I think you are right. In some places in SE NM people lament the "Texans" and think they have inundated their space. I did not mean, nor want to, disparage all folks from CA; they are like everywhere else - good un's and not so good un's. We have some very good friends from Palm Springs and we love San Diego.

A discussion a long way from your original "rain" comments and not meant to redirect the thread nor invite additional input on "good" vs "bad" states, people, etc. - although I inadvertently did. Just want to explain my prior comments.

I should not have piggy backed on the prior post. If I offended any of my CA friends I apologize. That type of comment should not be made without LOTS of qualifiers and I failed to do that nor was it warranted in this thread.

And back to your original post; we are like you sounds like. We get very little rain here in W TX and when we travel to places like FL where it rains all the time in winter seemingly it is actually enjoyable. Plus, the rain in FL is always pretty gentle. In W TX it usually comes with a big wall cloud, high winds and hail. And I agree; "camping in the rain is better than not camping - any day!"
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #17
Tonkatoy77

Quote:

I meant it as a joke. I’m sorry if you took it any other way.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #18
Salt Life

Rain, rain, rain? We're in for a blizzard Wed - Fri, wanna trade? 8-12", if not more, hopefully much less....
Salt Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #19
Tonkatoy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Life View Post
Rain, rain, rain? We're in for a blizzard Wed - Fri, wanna trade? 8-12", if not more, hopefully much less....

I’m guessing there are a lot of Oregonians that would trade you. There are evacuations in place right now due to flooding.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #20
travelin texans

TOO bad there's not a way to direct flood waters in Oregon & Nebraska as well as the snow melt run off from most of the states that got hammered this winter to places like Lake Mead/Hoover Dam which is about to dry up. When it does dry up the lights go out in California!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote