Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2019, 11:04 AM   #41
Mad Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
To carry that step one further, why stop at a 250/2500 if getting a diesel, they are heavy and with a Max GVWR of 10K they have a limited payload.
Yeah, if I was going diesel, I would probably just go on to the 1 ton variety. I guess it really depends on what one is trying to accomplish.

A gasser 3/4 ton will go well beyond anything the best 1/2 ton can accomplish..... in both payload and towing capacity. Even with two people and a few hundred lbs of gear on board my gasser 2500, I still have about 2300 lb of payload capacity left.

And that was the point. If one is looking at a 1/2 ton, which most are gassers anyway, why not just bypass the 1/2 ton and move onto the 3/4 ton. For instance, the most capable 1/2 ton that GM offers is the 6.2L variety. Yeah, numbers on the motor look good, but it requires premium fuel to get the most out of it. And even then, it doesn't match a GM 6.0L 3/4 ton gasser in either payload or towing capacity. And anyone can find a GM 3/4 ton, any day of the week, for thousands less in cost than a 6.2L 1/2 ton. And speaking still of GM, the new 6.6L gasser in the 2020 2500/3500 will knock the socks off of the 6.2L in the 1/2 ton, will only recommend regular 87 fuel unlike the Ecotec 6.2 recommendation of premium, and will likely still be thousands less than a 6.2L loaded 1/2 ton.

And the max GVWR of 10K for a 2500/250 has to do with the class it is in, not the power plant. 10K is the max limit GVWR for a 2500/250 per regulatory requirements. And yet, a comparable spec'd 3500/350 SWR has a very similar payload as a 2500/250. One has to move into the DRW variety to substantively move beyond the 10K.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:41 PM   #42
jhop_8

Just to add my 2 cents... I have said I hardly know it’s back there now because I am comparing the TT being towed by my previously inadequate vehicle. I fell for the Durango will tow 7,000 lbs crap the salesman fed me while looking at the Cruise Lite. I drove 10 miles to my house, unhooked and called around for a 2015 Ram 1500 with 3.92 gears, trailer brakes, and a hemi. That was a night and day tow! Fast forward 2 years and I upgraded to a 2500, 4wd, Cummins and once again immediately felt the difference. I was thinking that I could upgrade to a 5er one day but there is so much to check off in the “wants” box I don’t think it is capable of pulling what we could get. I will day I hardly notice it but that’s comparing to the SUV.
jhop_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:13 PM   #43
slow

My F250 was cheaper new than a new F150 with less payload. Both XLTs with the F150 having the max payload.

Sitting at the campfire now. Looking around and all but one other TV is within spec for the rig they are pulling IMO. Some excessively and they have no clue.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:33 PM   #44
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYHLR View Post
I have a 3500 DRW GMC pulling a 3602 Raptor that weighs in at 15K.

For the "i don't even know that it is back there" crowd, i say BS. My TV is more than ample to pull my 5vr and I can tell you that you always know that is is back there. Whether it being going up or down hills/mountains, towing in crosswinds, being passed by a semi or my frequent stops for diesel fuel. Yea, anyone that tows know that the trailer is back there, regardless if the complete tow rig is in spec or not.

I am of the opinion that anyone that makes that statement is simply attempting a defense mechanism for knowing that they are towing outside the parameters of the rig that they are operating. Just my 2 cents.
Sorry I stand by my statements in post #34.
The "I don't even know it's back there" is relative the items you state if pulling a 5er, there is something wrong with your setup!
I can say I never noticed a semi passing going either way at me or passing me. Down hills, PacBrake I would see cars and trailers in a sea of brake lights ahead of me, and just listing to the rumble of the PacBrake, never touching the service brakes.
Yes, I knew it was back there on climbs, as I needed to drop a gear to 4th (direct) with the 5 speed manual, and put my foot in it a bit. This is with a 12,500# 5er and a 2001 Ram 2500 with 3.55 gears. With the current 2016 Ram 3500 DRW, I need to check the mirrors often.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:40 AM   #45
MikePugs

Is my Pathfinder enough

I just bought my first camper and I'm concerned that our Pathfinder isn't enough to pull it. The 2016 Pathfinder is rated for 5000lbs. The Travel trailer is the Bullet 2070 which has a dry weight of about 3800lbs. I have weight distribution on it and it ran pretty smoothly.

At 65mph we were at around 3500 rpms. Is this typical and acceptable? I thought buying the lightweight 3800lb trailer would be ok for a towing vehicle rated at 5000lbs.

I should also mention that we are in Florida, so not many inclines and declines.

Please advise.
MikePugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #46
jsb5717

Mike, that's a very common issue. There is a lot of good education on towing capacities in this forum.

The issue isn't "can it pull this trailer?" but rather "should it pull this trailer?"

Your trailer has a GVWR of 5400 lbs...that's the number to look at. I think you're destined to straining your Pathfinder under that load. You would be well served to get a 1/2 ton truck with a larger motor.

Welcome to the forum and good travels
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:57 AM   #47
leest422

Lee & Marsha S

2017 Keystone 30RLI
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD

Started life as RV'ers with 2016 Silverado 1500 but learned early on that this would be too small for our TT. Bit the bullet and traded for 3500HD. Best decision of RV life so far. Plenty of room for ease of mind traveling now. Sour medicine to have to take but worked.

Safe travels!!
leest422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #48
falcondan95705

4.8?????LOL The Ford Straight 6 was a 300 Cuin 4.9.... This 4.8 won't pull a wet noodle out of a lard bucket... My boat has the MERCRUISER 3.0 4 banger.... It would probably pull better than that 4.8 "Big V8"/.
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #49
the406life

I just make sure I'm happy with my setup, make sure my insurance bill is paid, and keep the hammer down. I don't want other's advice or opinions, and I won't offer my own when it comes to towing. It's better to just keep your mouth shut and stay out of it because everybody has a different opinion, and they all think theirs is better than yours.
the406life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #50
Ken / Claudia

The site is all about opinions, nearly everyone who posts is asking a question and wants opinions. Hopefully they also want facts. But, your facts and opinions maybe different than mine. The worse thing that can happen is someone who does not agree with you. I have spend my life since 1981 doing a job that very few people want to or will or obey my facts and opinions. Those are of course face to face not through a computer and the risk is real to me when someone does not like what I say. Be polite and say what you want/need to say. That actually works most times face to face also.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #51
KC10Chief

I bought a new truck last year with the intention of buying a travel trailer. I already had the trailer picked out too and knew I'd be about 8,000 pounds loaded up. I'd like a Super Duty and could have afforded any truck I wanted. But a super duty wouldn't fit in my garage! I commute 25 miles each way to work too. The F-150 was a better choice for me. I educated myself first. I also bought a ProPride hitch right off the bat and added E-rated tires to my truck. My truck has the 3.5L EcoBoost motor. Power is just not a problem when towing my 8,000 pound trailer. This truck has almost as much power as my 2002 F-250 with a 7.3L diesel had. It's an amazing vehicle. Stopping is no problem either. I do however feel like I'm pretty maxed out on suspension. I wouldn't want to tow anything much heavier. Ford's 13,200 pound tow rating for my truck is pretty off the mark. But I did know all of this going in and I'm very satisfied with my truck, trailer and my towing experience. In a few more years, we will be upgrading to a one ton dually and a fiver for full time living! There seems to be a bunch of folks who seem to thing you need a heavy duty truck and diesel to tow just about anything and it's just not true.
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #52
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
I bought a new truck last year with the intention of buying a travel trailer. I already had the trailer picked out too and knew I'd be about 8,000 pounds loaded up. I'd like a Super Duty and could have afforded any truck I wanted. But a super duty wouldn't fit in my garage! I commute 25 miles each way to work too. The F-150 was a better choice for me. I educated myself first. I also bought a ProPride hitch right off the bat and added E-rated tires to my truck. My truck has the 3.5L EcoBoost motor. Power is just not a problem when towing my 8,000 pound trailer. This truck has almost as much power as my 2002 F-250 with a 7.3L diesel had. It's an amazing vehicle. Stopping is no problem either. I do however feel like I'm pretty maxed out on suspension. I wouldn't want to tow anything much heavier. Ford's 13,200 pound tow rating for my truck is pretty off the mark. But I did know all of this going in and I'm very satisfied with my truck, trailer and my towing experience. In a few more years, we will be upgrading to a one ton dually and a fiver for full time living! There seems to be a bunch of folks who seem to thing you need a heavy duty truck and diesel to tow just about anything and it's just not true.
Maybe you can hop over to the "White Knuckle" thread and give that F150 owner some sage advice! Chris

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...211#post343211
Old 07-23-2019, 05:10 AM   #53
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
You don't have to say anything. He got the "I told you so" message loud and clear. That explains why he is trying to "fix" the problem with aftermarket suspension parts and has gone silent.
Maybe transmission parts scattered in the road behind his stalled TV will be a good hint,then maybe not. Some folks just don't get it.
RMc
As of last weekend his transmission died a nasty death in the hills of Western PA.
You called it right.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:00 AM   #54
cookinwitdiesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
As of last weekend his transmission died a nasty death in the hills of Western PA.
You called it right.
No escaping reality
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #55
kcamp99186

Thanks to all the folks that make this forum great.

I towed a small (8ft box) pop up for many years and never worried about the TV. I opted for a new truck and purchased a 2013 F150 Ecoboost. More than enough for the pop up. Well...next thing we did was purchase a 2015 Bullet Premier with a gross wt of 8000lbs. That truck pulled it well, BUT I definitely knew it was back there. Then I found a busted shock after one trip. Thanks to the knowledgeable folks on this site, I quickly realized that I didn't have enough truck to CARRY the load. I ended up convincing my DW that a new truck was necessary (even though I was retiring) and purchased our current F250 Diesel. Love this truck. It has eliminated the pucker factor and I've done the measurements and calculations to ensure that I'm within my vehicle's capabilities. Much more relaxed and I look forward to many new adventures When DW retires next year. If you are asking this forum for advice, be aware there are many years of experience here and they will give you the best answer possible or guide you in the right direction.

kcamp99186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 04:44 PM   #56
Badbart56

If you spend as much time on the interstates as I do you will see the shortcomings of people who don't have enough truck. So many folks obviously don't consult before choosing a truck and/or camper.

I drive a Freightliner and my GVW can be as much as 80K pounds. I lose speed and have to drop gears on significant grades. (I have a 12 speed) And I see many trucks, gas and diesel that blow by me on the down grades, yet I'm passing them on the up grade. They are overloaded. They are a hazard to traffic. It's hard on the equipment and begs for a failure. Those Hemi's and Chevy, Ford gassers can get it done, but when you hear it screaming going up that grade in the lower gears, you know they're at capacity, all in.

Trust me when I say, More is better. Buy as much truck as you need. Do your homework. I see many folks who learned the hard way having to trade in a nearly new truck to get what they should have bought to begin with. And the sales people are NO help. They just know they need to unload a truck to meet their quota this month. Same with the camper sales people.

I get this mental image of the little dog on "The Grinch Stole Christmas", trying to pull that sled. Yeah, it'll pull it! It's got a turbo! My peeps at Ford tell me that EcoBoost V-6 is an awesome motor, but you don't want to be out of warranty when the turbo blows. Very expensive. If you don't want a diesel, that's fine. Just don't think because you have a 3500 that it will do what a diesel 3500 will do. Lower the size of the camper if you have to. Whatever, just make sure your equipment is matched. Your vacation will be much more enjoyable if you're not white knuckling the steering wheel the whole time.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:13 PM   #57
66joej

Second Badbart's comment. We had a 2015 F150 5.0 with 2040 payload. Bought a slightly larger TT 8500# GVWR. The truck was within all specs but seemed to wind a bit too much on our mountain grades so opted for the Ram in my signature. Yes there is a difference. I can now use CC!

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:31 PM   #58
Roscommon48

first off, you don't always need a diesel. for you, like me, you have to balance your driving habits and your recreation time.
it works for you so don't lose any sleep over it. there will always be people out there that tell you what they want you to hear. enjoy what you have now.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #59
the406life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
first off, you don't always need a diesel. for you, like me, you have to balance your driving habits and your recreation time.
it works for you so don't lose any sleep over it. there will always be people out there that tell you what they want you to hear. enjoy what you have now.

I agree with you. A diesel is not always needed. I told myself for 10 years we didn't tow our trailers often enough to justify a diesel. We have had a few travel trailers, a 5th wheel, and I have an enclosed car trailer, a boat, and an ATV/dirt bike trailer. I do a fair amount of towing and I still don't think I "need" a diesel.
However, about 4 years ago I was truck shopping. Stopped at a car lot to look at a 3/4 ton gas truck they had on the lot. After deciding that the truck was not nearly worth what they were asking for it I was about to leave when the salesman asked if I would consider a diesel.

I told him I didn't need one but I'd look at what he had in mind.
Long story short, I bought the diesel.

After spending 4 years towing and hauling with my Duramax, I'll never buy another gas truck again. I don't care if I "need" it or not.
the406life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:17 PM   #60
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by the406life View Post
I agree with you. A diesel is not always needed. I told myself for 10 years we didn't tow our trailers often enough to justify a diesel. We have had a few travel trailers, a 5th wheel, and I have an enclosed car trailer, a boat, and an ATV/dirt bike trailer. I do a fair amount of towing and I still don't think I "need" a diesel.
However, about 4 years ago I was truck shopping. Stopped at a car lot to look at a 3/4 ton gas truck they had on the lot. After deciding that the truck was not nearly worth what they were asking for it I was about to leave when the salesman asked if I would consider a diesel.

I told him I didn't need one but I'd look at what he had in mind.
Long story short, I bought the diesel.

After spending 4 years towing and hauling with my Duramax, I'll never buy another gas truck again. I don't care if I "need" it or not.
Couldn't agree more!
I've had 2 Duramax duallies ('05 & '13) towing 12-16.5k 5th wheels & can't imagine doing so with a gasser.
Just curious! The biggest thing most use as an excuse to not buy a diesel is maintenance cost, have you noticed that it has been enormously higher than your previous gassers? I did not! But as I said they were both Duramax. My son bought a '06 Ford Excursion with 6.0 PS & the maintenance costs on that POS were sky high & still wouldn't run half the time.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote