Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Jshoe

Wiring 12v 30A resettable circuit breaker

So after 30 amp landing gear (lippert) fuse continued to blow, i decided to add a 30amp resettable breaker, like has been recommended by several. After installing said breaker my fuse still blows. If i could figure out how to add a photo i would? I will attempt to give written description.

"Hot" wire leads from power source and ties in to wire terminal on what looks like an enclosed fuse/circuit board. This is also where the 30 amp fuse is located. Next to this wire terminal is the ground wire terminal. On the other side of this fuse/circuit board is a vertical row of wire terminals. Two of these wire terminals send the power to the landing gear motor,(1 white wire, 1 white/black wire).

I installed the circuit breaker on the "Hot" wire that leads from the batteries to the fuse/circuit board. I dont understand how the original fuse is still blowing after installing the circuit breaker. Should i have installed the breaker on the hot wire leading from the other side of the fuse/circuit board,(the one that goes to the motor)?

Lastly: I think I have eliminated about every possible cause for the landing gear fuse to blow. Are these motor prone to cause this issue? Thanks

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	12794  
Jshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

If your having issues with fuses for the landing gear, the first thing I would do is see how many amps they are drawing. If they "over amping" then the closest "protection" will kick in, this case the fuse.

Have you measured amps when extending the landing gear?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
Jshoe

i have only checked the voltage, not the amps. I cant find any drops in voltage. I see in your signature block that you retired from law enforcement. I have four more years to go.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Be safe and watch your back!!

You need to measure both. Measurements need to be done with fully charged batteries, unplugged from shore power. Have you load tested the batteries? Troubleshooting electrical issues can be time consuming, but you need to eliminate things one by one until you find the problem. Then you can fix it once and be done.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Jshoe

Batteries are fully charged and not plugged in to shore power. I was able to attach a picture to my original post. I'm starting to think it is the motor, but hate to purchase a motor until i am more certain.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Read the draw on the motor; it should tell you.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
Jshoe

pardon my ignorance. How do I "read the draw on the motor"? Admittedly, electrical issues are my weakness.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Read the draw on the motor; it should tell you.
There may be a label on the motor that will give you rated voltage and amps. Measuring the amp draw requires a clamp on meter that can read DC amps. Most large home improvement stores will have one.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:21 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Fuses usually blow faster than circuit breakers. Is there a reason for not just replacing the fuse with a reset-able one? Personally, I don't see any reason for having double protection on that circuit. Does the fuse blow while on shore power or connected to running TV??

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #10
Pull Toy

If I read your post correctly, you added an inline breaker to the circuit, but left the original fuse in place, between the board and the motor. This fuse should be replaced by the breaker, not supplemented. As already mentioned, the fuse is still the weak link, and usually blows first, due to tolerance differences.

As also already mentioned, you will need to be sure that the draw of the motor is not exceeding the spec's. If 30 amps is constantly blowing, there is possibly a problem.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:48 AM   #11
BuxCamper

Self resetting breakers work on heat. They get warm from too much current flowing through them and a bimetallic strip bends and opens the circuit. When it cools the strip bends back and the circuit closes. Yes that process is slower than a fuse.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #12
Jshoe

So I did as recommended. I removed additional circuit breaker. Removed fuse and replaced with a resettable breaker/fuse. Still have not checked amp draw on motor,(not certain how exactly to do that). When retracting or extending gear, motor starts out strong. After a few seconds it begins to strain and then blow fuse,( now breaker). I did notice this afternoon that the black and red wire coming from motor begins to get warm just before it blows fuse.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

Beginning to sound like the motor is shot. You need one of these to measure amp draw:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-Dig...Meter/50125833

Tags
wiring