Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #21
pjsorrells

Just got an email that they need serial number and model number for AC to order parts. Said it would be about 3 weeks to get the parts in. Will see and update.
pjsorrells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #22
pjsorrells

Just to keep you up to date on my 2019 Cougar 32RLI, Camping World emailed Keystone and this is the reply. "The gateway at the A/C must be replaced with the up-dated gateway" this is per the Dealer Service Advisor at Keystone. Waiting for part to come in then making appointment to get it replaced. Will keep you up to date with details as things happen.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #23
sandy43

This post is a little confusing. The word furnace is mentioned several times along with ac/heat. Is it the heat pump or propane furnace your referring too ? Fortunately I've never had a problem with the In-Command system, I think it's cool.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #24
pjsorrells

When turning the heat on the dometic furnace should fire. Apparently the controls are routed through the ac module. Sorry for the confusion. Just passing along what I'm being told.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #25
sandy43

On my In-Command system, the furnace is completely different from the AC/heat controls. The furnace has a separate icon to touch. Not aware it goes through the AC controls. Hopefully one of the gure's explain this more clearly. Something new all the time.

sandy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:22 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

On previous models (before In Command) the furnace and air conditioner were both "interfaced" in the A/C control unit located inside the roof mounted A/C. If the thermostat fan switch is set to HI or LOW, when the thermostat calls for heat, the furnace will ignite AND the A/C fan will turn on. BOTH fans, the furnace and the A/C will operate. That "A/C control box" is probably the same unit that was "modified for use with the In Command" system.

If so, then replacing the A/C control box in the rooftop unit will allow the thermostat to "talk to the furnace" even when the ambient temperature is below 40F....

The above is my "just a hunch" explanation. I'm guessing we'll see a "limited recall" similar to the 2015 Cougar "glass panel control switch" limited recall. The factory essentially "paid for replacement glass panels after the one year warranty expired" and on some "problematic units" replaced the glass panel with manual switches. My guess is the 40F ambient issue will be handled the same way, once Keystone and ASA Electronics figure it out and know the system works, a fix will be available for those owners who have problems, but since it's not a NHSTA safety item, a "full recall" probably won't be done....

The In Command system is a "partnered exclusive" between ASA Electronics and Keystone. ASA is also the manufacturer for Jensen, Voyager, Polk and Advent.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #27
Happy Dad

Correct the module is located in the AC unit as they need to talk together allowing the fan of the AC unit to run in unison with the heating system should you choose run it also to help spread the heat throughout the camper.

My parts came in, I talked the dealer into giving them to me to install so I don't have to have the hassle of an appointment and hauling the trailer to them to leave it.

It took me about 15 minutes to swap out the control module. Unfortunately we are have a very abnormally warm weather pattern right now and I can't test it until our temps get back below 40 degrees.

Here is the label on the box I was given.

Parts in the box but you will only replace the black module box.

You will need to get on the roof and remove the 4 Phillips screws and lift the cowling off of the AC unit. I then carefully separated the foam box housing the fan and control module. I was able to grab the two places shown by the arrows to gently pull to separate.

The arrow shows the location of the module. It is held down with strong double sided tape. I used one hand to hold down the gray box while pulling up on the module.

I noted the module I removed had the #2 toggle switched so I made sure the new module switches matched the one I removed.

While putting everything back our wonderful mouser climbed the trailer ladder and joined to supervise, lol.

I will wait to go back up and put new double sided tape on until I can verify it works below 40 degrees but all works perfect right now.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:33 PM   #28
wobly

Outstanding writeup!
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:01 AM   #29
Happy Dad

Tested the new controller this weekend. Temp in the camper was 33 degrees and the furnace now fires right up. Now I need to wait for warmer weather to get the double sided tape on the controller
Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 AM   #30
MarkEHansen

I just took our new 2019 Cougar 26RBSWE in to the dealer for it's initial warranty check-in (where we give the dealer a list of warranty items we've noticed in our first use of the trailer).

I mentioned the iN-Command / Dometic furnace issue and they said unless they can reproduce it, they can't do anything about it. I said they are not likely to reproduce it, as it's just not getting that code around here these days (Sacramento, CA). I didn't think I should have to prove that it fails by taking a camping trip to a cold location only to find that I have no heat and have to cut the trip short.

The owner of the dealership stopped by and said they can run the air conditioner in the trailer overnight - to get the temp in the cabin real cold and then try to run the furnace. Hmmm, I wonder if this will work.

I left the service manager with this request: Just please check with Keystone and if they say our unit is affected, please just replace our board.

We'll see.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #31
Happy Dad

Another issue I learned of with the old board is that when the temp in the camper is over 100 degrees F the air conditioner will not turn on.

I'm thinking I may need to get another new board for the front AC unit as well, just in case.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:10 AM   #32
jimthemosaicguy

Thanks for this post. I have a 2016 416 Fuzion and have gone thru several winters in PA with no heat. (In TX now) The inside temp would drop to 40-64 and no heat.

However, I don’t have the incommand system. Apparently, Keystone did a pre-rollout of the 2106 model then added the oncommand mid-yr. yes, I’m pissed. But, I think my unit is prewired for the incommand system on the cargo area. I’m gonna investigate.

This year I just happened to place a little space heater below the thermostat facing the sofa and set the space heater temp around 65 so the furnace would still kick in. and sure ‘nuf I haven’t had a problem since. Thought it was my imagination that the space heater actually put a bandaid on the problem.
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:21 PM   #33
cbmfire

I have a 2019 26 RBSWE with two AC units. I wonder if both boards need to be replaced!! Anyone know?
cbmfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #34
Happy Dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmfire View Post
I have a 2019 26 RBSWE with two AC units. I wonder if both boards need to be replaced!! Anyone know?
If you want the AC to turn on when the camper is over 100 degrees F you will want the second board.

Otherwise in one is needed to fix the furnace issue.
Happy Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #35
Jseitz

Great information!!! Thank you for posting. I just bought a Cougar 29BHS and going camping this weekend. Temps in TN are 19 degrees tonight but expected to reach low 30s at night and 60s during day over weekend. I will be sure to take an electric portable heater!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 PM   #36
Miloski

25reswe

Just bought a 2019 Keystone Cougar. The weather was nice so I had it camping ready instead of winterizing it. Took it out on our first trip and it snowed. We've had a week of snow and cold temps. I live on Browns Point and it rarely ever snows here and we got about a foot. I ran my heat to keep things from freezing up. I turned it of after heating it up and then it wouldn't turn back on so I had to unplug the shore power and kill the battery and then it would reset. I tried this a few time to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. The lowest the temp will go is 55 degrees. Does this sound like a similar problem?

David Seals
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #37
pjsorrells

Update 2019 Cougar 32RLI, New Gateway was installed in the AC unit. InCommand and Furnace are on speaking terms again. Will now show temperature below 40 degrees and heat turns on no problem. This is an issue that Keystone is aware of and is covered under the warranty.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #38
Jseitz

I took my 2019 Cougar 29bh in for service yesterday morning and the temp was 36 degrees. I was able to show the CW service manager that the furnace would not run. The service manager said he had never heard of the In Command Problem. I gave him a print out of this thread for his information.

By 3:00 PM that afternoon the service manager called and told me that Keystone would take care of the problem under warranty and CW has ordered two control units for my two AC TT.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:52 PM   #39
sponge60

Very informative post.

2018 Avalanche 301RE
2018 Chevy 3500 HD
Sandy the Pocket Beagle
sponge60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #40
tschott

I also have a 29BHS with the same problem. Anything under 40 degrees no fan will turn on (AC or furnace). I turn on the burners on the stove for a few minutes and the furnace will fire up and run properly.
I talked to CW and they say they have never heard a thing about this...... I really have a hard time believing that they have had nobody report this in Minnesota. ??? Also, they want to charge me for parts and labor on a NEW never been used trailer.
tschott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, furnace