Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
alpo

Truck Capabilities for 5th Wheel Trailer?

Is the stated 5th Wheel Pin Weight of 1290# for the 8529RLS with the Trailer Fully Loaded or Empty? Are both those numbers available? The reason I ask is the Cargo limit of my truck is 1960# (2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Club Cab Diesel, Door Jam Sticker) and I am trying to maintain my Truck Safely within those guidelines. The Trailer UVW is 8584# and the CCC is 1506#, the Site doesn’t give GVW but I assume it to be those so numbers combined, easily within my Trucks 17000# Trailer Limit. Using those numbers I have roughly 700# of Pin Weight to play with (Passengers/Cargo/etc). Does this Trailer fall within the “Safe” Limits of my Truck? Looking for all good constructive criticism, thanks.
alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Advertised pin weight is “dry” , meaning no propane or battery(s). Then you start adding cargo and it goes up from there. If your near your limit “dry”, your probably going to be over when ready to go camping. Do you already have the hitch in the bed?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
xrated

UVW is approx. 8600 lbs and the cargo is another 1500 lb for a total of 10,100 lb. The pin weight for that trailer fully loaded is going to be approx. 20% of the GVWR (10,100 lbs) so you are at a hair over 2000 lbs on the pin...in other words, more than your truck payload capacity with just the pin weight. Another 175 or so for the hitch, maybe 500 +/- for passengers, tools, wood, .....anything and everything that goes in or on the truck. I could easily see you being overloaded by 600-700 lbs.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
notanlines

Alpo, welcome to the forum from the Memphis area. Better and more info here than on brand X!
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
alpo

No hitch yet either, which is why I was also looking for concurrence on that Trailers GVW (Loaded) as I believe I can safely use a lighter 15K Hitch with that Trailer. I already know I am starting with only a 700# allowance for Passengers, Cargo, and yes the Hitch. Although it will only be me and my wife that comes in around 350ish, taking that allowance down to only 350#. I assume a Hitch could be as much as 100#, leaving only 250# for supplies “if” I run the Water Tanks Empty. A bit disappointing that a 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel Truck is Limited so much that even the lightest Half Ton Trailers are even questionable.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
alpo

The good news is the Truck came Factory equipped with the 5th Wheel Hookups in the Bed. Even though they may be almost useless.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #7
alpo

Just saw Xrated reply��. I guess a 3/4 Ton Cummins Equipped Ram is so limited as to NOT even be able to Tow Flagstaff’s Lightest 5th Wheels, which are touted as Half Ton Towable! Sad in every way.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpo View Post
Just saw Xrated reply��. I guess a 3/4 Ton Cummins Equipped Ram is so limited as to NOT even be able to Tow Flagstaff’s Lightest 5th Wheels, which are touted as Half Ton Towable! Sad in every way.
As a buyer, every potential owner of an RV MUST do their due diligence. Advertising claims from vehicle manufacturers or RV manufacturers are pure BS selling tactics. A 3/4 ton diesel doesn't have much more payload than a properly equipped 1/2 ton.

In your case, you should not be shocked or upset; the numbers are all there. You have a payload of 1960; that immediately tells you that you don't have a heavyweight hauler. The trailer in question has a gvw of 11,062. 20% for pin weight would be approx. 2200 lbs. Your payload is 1960.....you don't have any capacity for people, cargo, kids, puppies, hitch etc. You just have to do research before you buy stuff and NEVER think that a 3/4 ton diesel does anything for you with a mid weight trailer. If/when I buy a diesel it will be nothing less than a 1 ton.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a place for 3/4 ton diesel trucks in the towing environment. It's in "effortless towing" of travel trailers in the 30-34' range. Three quarter ton trucks have the payload to manage tongue weights and adequate (not excessive) cargo when hitched to travel trailers in this size range. They are ideal to "fill the gap" between gas engines towing large trailers and diesel engines which make towing in that weight range much easier.

Three quarter ton trucks diesel trucks don't typically have the payload for anything but the smallest (under 31') fifth wheels. While there are some "base model trucks" with more payload than the "typical buyer's optioned trucks" they tend to be the commercial models with vinyl seats, hand crank windows, few options and the largest payloads. Once you start adding leather, heated/cooled seats, carpet, electric windows, electric mirrors and all the "luxury options" the payload takes a significant "nose dive".....

Most 3/4 ton diesel trucks are "ideally matched" to medium large travel trailers, but not to anything but the smallest fifth wheels. Because of the limited payload, they are limited in the fifth wheel arena.

If you have a short bed truck, you may be faced with the need for a sliding hitch. That's something I haven't found is necessary, but my Ford bed is slightly longer than the RAM bed. The extra 5 or 6 inches makes a significant difference in clearing the back of the cab during turns. If you do find you need a sliding hitch, you can expect to add an extra 100 pounds to the hitch weight, something that will compound your already critical lack of payload with almost any fifth wheel, even the smallest, "half ton" units.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #10
rhagfo

Quote:
Is the stated 5th Wheel Pin Weight of 1290# for the 8529RLS with the Trailer Fully Loaded or Empty? Are both those numbers available? The reason I ask is the Cargo limit of my truck is 1960# (2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Club Cab Diesel, Door Jam Sticker) and I am trying to maintain my Truck Safely within those guidelines. The Trailer UVW is 8584# and the CCC is 1506#, the Site doesn’t give GVW but I assume it to be those so numbers combined, easily within my Trucks 17000# Trailer Limit. Using those numbers I have roughly 700# of Pin Weight to play with (Passengers/Cargo/etc). Does this Trailer fall within the “Safe” Limits of my Truck? Looking for all good constructive criticism, thanks.
Just wondering what the GVWR of your Ram 2500? I am thinking that because Ram finally woke up in 2013 and put some reall GVWR on their truck it should be 10,000#. Must be one loaded Truck to only have 1,960# of payload, 10,000 - 1,960 = 8,040# dry weight on truck???
Heck with a bunch of STUFF in the truck, full tank of fuel, and a very nicely equipped 2001 Ram Laramie SLT weighs 7,800#

If you want to tow within limits get a 2018 3500 SRW with a GVWR of 12,400#, basically a 2500 with a higher Class weight limit.

I ask you to look at the link below.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=35044
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
Tbos

A friend of mine has a Ram 2500 and tows a very nice big Winnebago Travel Trailer. The floor plan in the TT is just like my 5th Wheel only a little shorter and a little less headroom in the living room. Unless you want to upgrade your truck you best bet may be a TT. If your truck is in good shape and low miles you might get a nice trade against a 1 ton. Either way, have fun looking and let us know what you decide.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:06 PM   #12
alpo

2014 Ram Crew Cab 4X4 2500 Numbers: GVWR 10000#, Front Axle 6000#, Rear Axle 6500#, Truck Base Weight 7818#, Max Trailer and Equipment 25000#, Max Pin Weight 2180# (Door Sticker 1960#). Question: Could my llimiting Pin Weight be due to the truck being Factory fitted with the Hitch Puck connections? That may save me on Hitch Weight. Someone here mentioned a Light Weight Hitch (~50#) But I don’t recall if it was a slider.

I have two friends towing 5th Wheels, both close to matching Max Pin and 20% of Trailer GVWRs, not taking into consideration Cargo/Passengers/Hitch Weights. They both say they never Travel Fully Loaded (Water Tanks) and have always felt comfortable and safe. One said it feels FAR better than pulling his old TT. Not saying their right, but they felt their situations were within specs not being up to Max Trailer GVWRs. I also never Trailer Filly Loaded, filling up the Tanks close to destination and Emptying as soon as possible on getting back on the Road.

Thoughts?
Old 09-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
Tireman9

You need to watch THIS video on matching truck to trailer.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
Canonman

I was the member who mentioned the Anderson hitch. And yes, they are only 50 pounds. I have one with my short bed Ram. It's plenty of hitch for a midsize 5er. Also I have found no need for a slider. The nose on our Cougar (and most others) has the cut-a-ways that allow for a tight turning radius without hitting the truck cab. I have literally made a U turn around the check in hut at a couple of State Parks as well as more than one intersection. Here is a link to Anderson's web site. https://andersenhitches.com/Catalog/...onnection.aspx
I personally agree with your friends regarding towing fully loaded. I have actual weights and suggest anyone else do the same so you know what's actually being towed and carried.
Here's the simple math that I used to help with my decision:
Ram 2500 Short Bed 4WD SLT Auto 3.73: GVWR-9,000; Base Weight 6934; Payload 2070; Base Weight Rear 2684; GAWR Rear 6010. That seems to leave 3300+ pounds before I max out the rear axle weight limit and I'm well under that (4535 pounds). Plus, some of that weight is carried to the front axle where I have 900 pounds of head room.
Again, I would rather tow a 5th wheel even though pushing my payload limits, than use a bumper pull even with a WDH and sway bars in place. JMHO of course, but that's how I came to my decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7942.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	18711  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:20 PM   #15
alpo

With the Anderson Hitch which one suits my needs having the Factory setup already there, the Gooseneck or Rail Mount? In either case would there be any additional parts/pieces needed?
Old 09-29-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
Canonman

Alpo,
I sent you a private message with some additional info.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:32 AM   #17
alpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
I was the member who mentioned the Anderson hitch. And yes, they are only 50 pounds. I have one with my short bed Ram. It's plenty of hitch for a midsize 5er. Also I have found no need for a slider..
I really like that Hitch, with just a few reservations. There was some feedback on Anderson’s site.

One person described how he saw the connections workeding, Per design “The Hitch is Tightened DOWN on the Ball in the Bed placing all the eventual Trailer Weight distributed Downward onto the Stand and ultimately on the general associated Bed area of the Truck NOT on the Ball itself.” I’m not so sure the general Bed area was designed as sturdy as the Ball itself for pulling a Trailer.

Also, the Ball of the Hitch is Directly above the Ball in the Bed, BUT the adapter between the Trailer and the Hitch moves the actual connection back a small distance further (maybe 6-10”), while not much I feel moving the actual connection point further out on the Trailer might increasse the Pin weight placed on the Truck (Maybe some math genius can verify that idea do the math). But that does allow some additional Turning clearance truck to Trailer (needed as this is not a Slider).

I also see there was a Hitch Failure, but that doesn’t really sway me as there was only one (on a Really Heavy Trailer in a panic stop) and there were subsequent compensating Upgrades made to the design.

Price is REALLY REASONABLE.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:13 AM   #18
KHBama

I tow a lite 5th wheel weighing about 9000lbs loaded as is, Laredo 285sbh, with my Ram 2500 Hemi. My payload is 2250lbs, I’m over by 300-400lbs with truck loaded. I have air bags which really not needed because my Ram doesn’t even squat with the 5er loaded up. Here’s my problem with these ratings, I could trade my 5.7 for 6.4 hemi with the exact same setup and gain 1,000lbs payload which makes no sense. It’s the same exact setup. My 5.7 handles my 5er with 0 issues
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #19
alpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHBama View Post
I tow a lite 5th wheel weighing about 9000lbs loaded as is, Laredo 285sbh, with my Ram 2500 Hemi. My payload is 2250lbs, I’m over by 300-400lbs with truck loaded.
What year, Cab size, and Drivetrain do you have? The Trailer I’m looking at has a GVWR of 8584#. However I do have a Diesel Crew Cab with 4X4 most likely limiting my Pin Weight down to 1960#.

I’m with you on the oddities. Someone could upgrade a new Truck Soley with a Cummins Diesel for the additional pulling power and end up only downrating the truck in the process. Silly but true.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:45 AM   #20
KHBama

Quote:
What year, Cab size, and Drivetrain do you have? The Trailer I’m looking at has a GVWR of 8584#. However I do have a Diesel Crew Cab with 4X4 most likely limiting my Pin Weight down to 1960#.

I’m with you on the oddities. Someone could upgrade a new Truck Soley with a Cummins Diesel for the additional pulling power and end up only downrating the truck in the process. Silly but true.
2017 Crew Cab 5.7L with the 3.73s. When I load up, my rear end doesn't squat at all really. I towed a 6500lb TT with my Tundra and the rear squat was ridiculous. 0 doubt in my mind that your Ram can handle that size 5er with absolutely no issues.
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel