Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2018, 04:25 PM   #1
BamaRam

Awning Anomoly?

Okay, I’m a rookie. Not sure what happened but I was going East on I-40 minding my own business when a Class A pulled up beside me, honked the air horn, opened the window, and yelled “AWNING!”

So I adjusted the mirror and sure enough, it was out about a foot.

I’m fairly certain it was in when I left the park and at the fuel stop. The only thing I can think of is that when I rolled it in, it had sleet and rain on it. When I got to weather above freezing, ice melted and slack allowed it to roll out.

I’ve already figured out that, in one way or another, I screwed up.

Is the ice theory viable?
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Maybe. I would think that as you rolled it in the sleet or rain would have fallen off the end. Just my opinion.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 04:42 PM   #3
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Maybe. I would think that as you rolled it in the sleet or rain would have fallen off the end. Just my opinion.
Some fell off as it rolled in, but not all of it.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
BamaRam

BTW, it’s an LCI Solara.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

"Theoretically" everything rolls off the front as the awning comes in. It would be very difficult for even thin ice to hang on as it is rolled over the edge. I would do some serious "researching" and investigating to see what was causing the problem; it could be something wrong with the awning retention in some fashion. Put it out, bring it in and take a trip to see what it does.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
"Theoretically" everything rolls off the front as the awning comes in. It would be very difficult for even thin ice to hang on as it is rolled over the edge. I would do some serious "researching" and investigating to see what was causing the problem; it could be something wrong with the awning retention in some fashion. Put it out, bring it in and take a trip to see what it does.
I extended it all the way out and let it dry. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

I or the DW could have accidentally hit the button but I don’t see how we could have missed it being out. Every time I stop I walk around the trailer and tv.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:28 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

I don't know if ice was the cause of your experience but if the awning is wet or has leaves etc. I use a soft nylon bristle broom to knock it off before or while retracting. Only takes a light touch. I look for a very soft bristle and a screw on head. I use an extendable paint pole to make it easier to reach it. Been doing this for 20+ years without causing any damage. YMMV
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:16 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Strange situation, but probably not ice on the awning fabric, that made it roll up "too big" and caused it to be "sloppy loose" when the ice melted. The awning motor has an "internal lock" that prevents the awning from unfurling during travel. There is an optional "travel lock" that Lippert sells (it's on page 3 of the awning owner's manual). That tells me they don't have 100% faith in the reliability of the motor lock to do its job all the time.

Lippert sells the travel locks through their website, I'm sure they are available in many other locations as well. If it were me, if still under warranty, I'd have the dealership install the locks after reporting the problem to them. If no longer in warranty, I'd buy the locks and install them myself. To me (YMMV) spending $10 on a safety device and an hour of my time to install it sure beats the potential to spend $1500 on a new awning or even $500 in "insurance deductible".....

ADDED: There is a caution in the owner's manual about using awning straps to secure the open awning. It reads: "Tying down the roll tube once the awning is extended will not allow the free-floating support arms to work as designed and may cause damage to the awning or RV." I wonder if part of that "damage" is to the motor locking mechanism as the wind "pops and buckles" the awning tube and arms ???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:53 PM   #9
BamaRam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I wonder if part of that "damage" is to the motor locking mechanism as the wind "pops and buckles" the awning tube and arms ???
All good info, thank you. That’s something to ponder on for sure. I don’t leave it out if the wind is strong enough to make it pop.

It didn’t roll out today 3.5 hrs on a bumpy interstate.

It could have been user induced. When I left the park yesterday it was well below freezing and winds 20 mph. My brain and everything else was frozen.

Will continue monitoring.

Tags
awning