Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2015, 03:20 PM   #1
tribeal

slider or no slider?

We just bought a Montana 3711fl. We have a SB sierra. The 2015's come with the max turn front cap. Whats the consensus? Do we need the slider hitch or not?
tribeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
carwheel_09

No, but you do have to be careful when turning or backing up sharply.
carwheel_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
GmaPaTime

No slider....
Just need to be aware that at very very sharp turns backing up, the kind that you're pushing the trailer sideways almost, you need to keep a close eye on it. It can and will hit if you don't pay attention.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
therink

I have a slider hitch in my 3rd SB truck. I have never needed to use the slider in the 5 yrs I have been pulling a fiver. You do have to pay attention though, especially when backing into an area with a side to side grade. The slightest camber tilt of the trailer will make the upper part of the fiver cap closer to the cab corner.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #5
WaltBennett

Montana's and most newer 5ers are designed so you would seldom need a slider. Older ones had squarish front ends and you couldn't turn much at all without one. Rounded fronts will allow pretty tight turns, but you still need to watch what you're doing.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
tribeal

Thanks for the info guys. gonna go with the B&W companion non slider
tribeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
cdougmark

I am new to 5th wheel and recently posed the same question here. After much research opted to go with the B&W Companion non slider as well. Picked up trailer last week and although I haven't been on an extended trip did several very sharp turns forward and backward and did not come close to hitting truck cab. Should be no problem getting in to any spot where we camp. May have to remove bed rails though as trailer came very close on off camber turns.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
bobbecky

In an ideal world, no, you do not need the slider. The only problem of course is, this isn't an ideal world. I've seen enough trashed rear windows and cabs on standard bed pickups with both conventional 5th wheels and several with the rounded noses. I'm sure the repairs to the cab and nose of the trailer far exceed the initial cost of a good slider. We fulltime, and do everything possible to avoid the expense of down time with the trailer in a shop while we waste time in a motel. You may not 'need' a slider, but it like insurance, you need it and you hope you never have to use it, but are usually thankful you have it when the need arises.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
ChuckS

2007 GMC short bed 4x4 club cab with 2014 Alpine 3010RE. Bought slider but have not needed yet. I think if I can I will always adjust my angle or something rather than submit the tires and wheels on the fiver to those kind of loads. Not to say I won't need my slider but the cap on my Alpine has nice radius and I just watch my angle and distance to rear window

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #10
Pmedic4

Slider or No Slider

The interesting part of the question and the answers, is, "no if you watch your turn angle, and how the camber tilts the trailer". When I got into a situation where I had to watch the sharp angle and the camber of the 5thwheel, I was so busy watching and concentrating on backing where I was going, I totally forgot about the angle and camber. Didn't hit, so I must of not gone to far!

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #11
RAINEY

I recommend getting the slider just in case. I have in fact needed mine two different time in 2014. The first year owning a fifth wheel. Needed to make an extra tight backing turn maneuvering into a camp site. It just started to touch the cab then I released the slider. Talk about a oh snikies moment.

I'm in the it's good insurance mindset
RAINEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINEY View Post
I recommend getting the slider just in case. I have in fact needed mine two different time in 2014. The first year owning a fifth wheel. Needed to make an extra tight backing turn maneuvering into a camp site. It just started to touch the cab then I released the slider. Talk about a oh snikies moment.

I'm in the it's good insurance mindset
Agree 100%, because it sure would suck to hit the cab of your truck and possibly damaging both the truck and the 5th wheel. What are the disadvantages of a slider, maybe a few hundred more dollars and heavier weight? Personally, I wouldn't want to take the chance and had rather concentrate on one thing; backing the trailer in. It's hard enough, at least to me, backing these trailers in to tight spots with lots of trees and with a slider it takes one more obstacle out of the equation plus it allows me to get in and out of tighter spaces if needed. I see no reason not to get a slider in a short bed and personally I liked the Pullrite I used as I didn't have to think about it, it was all automatic.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:12 PM   #13
RedRover

From my point of view you have only two choices. Buy a truck with an 8 foot bed or buy and install a slider hitch. When I get in trouble it's usually in a residential area and not a campground. Have you ever pulled off of a busy thoroughfare onto a dead end street and need to do a U turn. When you are "jackknifing" the trailer in this situation, you will be glad you made the investment.
RedRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #14
NWCatOwner

Okay, I'm new to this group and *very* new to RVs, especially 5th wheels. We're trying to decide what we want, so I'm checking out some of these threads.

My question is (please don't laugh!) - what the heck is the slider you're all talking about? It seems like it helps when turning your truck and 5th wheel, but that's all I can tell.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2015, 05:08 AM   #15
jsmith948

The 5th wheel hitch is mounted on a slide mechanism that allows the hitch head to move back, away from the cab of the tow vehicle allowing tighter turning/backing. Some are manual and the Pullrite hitch slides automatically using a 'capture plate' on the pin box. The entire hitch head turns and cam rollers move the slider back and forth as the hitch head turns. If you google 'pullrite' or 'Reese slider' or 'Curt slider' you can compare the hitches.
If your TV has an 8ft bed, you don't need a slider. Also, with the rounded corners of many 5ers, many people simply use a standard hitch. The problem presents itself when someone attempts to jackknife their trailer to 90 degrees. With the trailer being 8' wide, the kingpin is 4' from the side. The trailer will hit the cab.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote