Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2018, 06:20 PM   #1
plocklin

Heavy 5th wheel vs. Light

I’ve had a bumper pull for about 2 years. I’ve been to Florida twice, Yosemite during Christmas, New Mexico Ski resorts, Gulf Shores, Tennessee, and more. I’ve taken more trips with my family in the last 2 years then the previous 10 combined. I'm hooked!

I consider myself a pretty quick study and am starting to realize the advantages of a fifth wheel; some to speak of are the insulation and cargo space. I would like to do more winter traveling.

I currently have a 2011 Keystone Cougar 306BHS (34 ft. with one slide). I would like to ditch the bunkhouse for rear living, more slides and a shorter trailer. After looking at several brands and floor plans, I would like to ask advice from more seasoned RV'rs.

What are the advantages/ disadvantages of an Ultra lite/ Half-Ton type trailer? For example: a 30-foot trailer that weighs 10000lbs vs. the same brand and length that weighs 14000lbs?

It seems like less weight is an easier pull with less fuel but what am I giving up to do that? I have found it difficult trying to sort through all the information (or lack of) to get a reliable answer.

New tricks
plocklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

From what I can see from working on them is the heavier units have more bling, somewhat better materials in the cabinets and doors. Maybe better insulated, and more BTU’s in the A/C and furnace. Worth it? That’s a decision you have to make. My truck doesn’t seem to care if it’s got 10,000 pounds (current fiver) or 13,000 pounds ( previous fiver) behind it. Still got/get 10.5mpg.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
GHen

If you are like me, I spend more time IN my rv than towing it. I chose a heavy unit that seems like it will hold up longer, higher quality components, more comfortable, hopefully more reliable.
Will you get better fuel mileage towing an RV that is 1000 #’s less? Maybe, if you only save $20 a trip is it worth it?
I went with the stronger frame and suspension, larger and higher load rated tires, the bigger fridge, more slides, solid cabinets, more water storage, bigger waste tanks, more dry storage, solar panels, dish, bigger Tv, a second awning, outside BBQ, higher ceilings, a center island with solid counters, stainless sink, porcelain toilet and a bigger shower. It also has a winter package that also keeps it cooler in the summer. My wife is very happy and I don’t mind spending an extra $20.
I also am pulling with a Chevy diesel and I’m hardly ever over 1/2 throttle. I really don’t think I would save anything with a 1000# less and I am sure a lot happier when I get there.

Happy camping!
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 PM   #4
Pmedic4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
From what I can see from working on them is the heavier units have more bling, somewhat better materials in the cabinets and doors. Maybe better insulated, and more BTU’s in the A/C and furnace. Worth it? That’s a decision you have to make. My truck doesn’t seem to care if it’s got 10,000 pounds (current fiver) or 13,000 pounds ( previous fiver) behind it. Still got/get 10.5mpg.
I'll echo Chucksters comment about MPG between the heavier and lighter fivers. Our previous fiver was a light model hitting around 8300 pounds loaded to our new model which is closer to 11,200. The biggest difference we've seen is with the wind. Even a light weight trailer we use to haul a UTV really affects the MPG in our truck, and it weighs less than 3000 pounds, go figure!
We loved our first fiver, just looking at some of the nice, newer features was the reason. Don't let fuel economy affect the decision.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

There are some significant differences in construction techniques between the "XLite" and "heavy weight" trailers. Mainly, floors are "foam sandwich construction" on most XLite models and solid OSB/structurewood that's 5/8 "or 3/4" thick. It won't make a lot of difference until the first time a 13 year old grandkid jumps off the steps and cracks the foam under that 1/4" top layer and the foam board starts crumbling on you and you start noticing the weak spot where he jumped.....

Additionally, most XLite models are "mid height" meaning they have 6' of headroom at the foot of the bed but only around 5' on the sides of the bed. If there's a bedroom slide, it's a closet, not the bed, which is mounted with the head of the bed toward the front of the trailer.

In "heavy trailers" the bed is mounted in a slide (transverse to the front of the trailer) and is usually a "true walk around bed" with 6'+ headroom on all areas of the bedroom. It makes a difference when you're living in it for a while.

Ours is an XLite model, we enjoy it, but if we were to buy a new fifth wheel, I'd opt for the heavier construction and the features that go along with it. No complaints with ours, but a lot of things we wish we had that were not even an option on the XLite models.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

The biggest disadvantage of a lightweight is that there is little room to walk around the bed. In our Cougar, it came with an RV queen mattress, we had pulled the full queen out of our last 5ver and replaced the smaller mattress and you can't go around the thing, you have to hop on from the end. Plus you can't stand in the bedroom unless you are 4' tall. Other than that our floorplan is perfect for us and the trailer works great. My truck is a total gas hog and it doesn't matter pulling a trailer or not; still a gas hog. I bought our trailer due to length; we need to be under 30' due the hook up space on our property. We have a full hook up and no potential for making it longer as the fence on the dog run and power pole limit length.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
cookinwitdiesel

It is interesting how many options there are with 1400-1600 hitch weight which is actually possible with my 2500HD. I hadn't realized that these were out there and had written off fifth wheels until truck is upgraded. This will give me some things to think about in a few years once we are looking to upgrade the trailer.

That being said, I have only looked at floor plans and pictures, nothing compares to a good walk through.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:20 AM   #8
Frank G

One of our some what local dealers in Michigan sells a lot of Montana's to the mobile construction workers that work and live in the winter conditions of the north. I would think a unit made for full time living with a true cold weather package would suite you well.

We have a run of the mill Laredo mid profile unit and we find it OK space wise but much below the high twenties (in Florida) it could get challenging.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #9
Canonman

I agree with what Chuckster said. I realize your question was mostly about the weight difference, but there is a cost difference as well. Heavier units will tend to cost more. Here is a video I found that helped me with a number of questions I had when looking to upgrade from our TT to the Cougar. Good info delivered in a no nonsense manner.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #10
Canonman

Sorry, Here is the correct link
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #11
GHen

Good video, thanks.

Another key item I looked for when buying my 5r was the axel (and spring/frame)rating. You will find that they use the same axels for multiple units. An example would be using the same axel on a 29’ up to a 34’, then an upgraded axel on 35- 38 and then another upgrade on the over 39. The 29 could have 2500# cargo capacity but the 34 might only have a 1500# capacity left after the weight of the longer unit is added. I moved up one foot to the shortest unit in a group and more cargo capacity but more important, the axel is not at maximum capacity when I travel. I hope that will mean I will have less opportunity for an axel issue. Mine seems to handle bumps on the highway very well. That might not be the case if the axel is near it max.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:19 AM   #12
plocklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
The biggest disadvantage of a lightweight is that there is little room to walk around the bed. In our Cougar, it came with an RV queen mattress, we had pulled the full queen out of our last 5ver and replaced the smaller mattress and you can't go around the thing, you have to hop on from the end. Plus you can't stand in the bedroom unless you are 4' tall. Other than that our floorplan is perfect for us and the trailer works great. My truck is a total gas hog and it doesn't matter pulling a trailer or not; still a gas hog. I bought our trailer due to length; we need to be under 30' due the hook up space on our property. We have a full hook up and no potential for making it longer as the fence on the dog run and power pole limit length.
I did the same thing in our bunkhouse. The lower bed was so big you couldn't walk in the room. I modified the frame and put in a regular size twin mattress. Now you can actually walk in without standing sideways on top of the heater vent.

New tricks
Old 02-22-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
plocklin

Thanks for all the great information guys. One of these days I would like to upgrade to a fifth wheel. I guess I wont worry too much about weight.

New tricks

Tags
5th wheel, light