Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #1
KC10Chief

Water leak on 2019 Keystone Cougar 29BHS!

We picked up our new trailer on March 1st. This is our fourth weekend using it but the first time it has rained on us. I also store it inside. This morning, I woke up to water dripping on me and a soaking wet mattress, pillow, etc. Water was pouring in at the window on the front of the trailer. I thought it was the window at first and got out there and taped it up the best I could with duck tape (the only thing I have) until I could make a better repair. The water kept coming. I went back out to investigate and discovered this ridiculous and shoddy workmanship on top of the front cap where the LED lights come out. It would have taken them two seconds at the factory to put a blob of silicone on this hole. This little channel is like a gutter. All the water running off the cap was going right into this hole. What a mess! It will take me about five seconds to fix this. This front cap is apparently new for 2019 so, if you're picking one up, make SURE you check this hole for silicone and avoid getting a few gallons of water in the front of your trailer.

ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Document, document, document. Pics, pics, pics. Do those things now and then report this to your dealer upon your return then show him and describe what has happened. You need to get this documented with them, and Keystone (IMO) in the event enough water has gotten inside the unit to cause further damage in the future.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
wobly

We have the same model, but haven't had that problem. I'll check it out later today.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
wobly

We have a 2019 29BHS and don't have the LEDs on the front cap. Looks like they must have introduced them sometime after we got our trailer.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190323_133422.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	21012
Old 03-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

wobbly,

It looks like your 2019 is an early version and KC10Chief's is a late version. Not only is the cap color changed, KC10's has the front window where yours doesn't. It looks like Keystone made some significant "mid year changes" in that model. It goes much further than LED lights across the crown of the front cap. I wonder if KC10's trailer may have been one of the "early production models" and the crew was "learning the new build steps" ??? No excuse for not doing it right, but that may not be the only "omission" of sealant on the rig.

KC10Chief: I'd use this as a "token gesture" that your RV deserves a thorough "once over" before the next camping trip.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:16 PM   #6
wobly

JRTJH, ours was built in May 2018. We actually ordered a 2018 29BHS, but a 2019 arrived. So, in this case, ours is most likely the older version of the "29 BHSs" .
Old 03-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #7
Terry W.

KC 10 Chief thank you for your service. I work on them for years at Lockheed in Greenville, SC
2-11 Pound 4 Legged Furry Childern
Pickens, SC
Terry W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
yesiamapirate

Our brand new Keystone Cougar, picked up in February had a leak also. Ours was the skylight in the shower. We had running water in the shower, literally. Thankfully, it was just the shower. Same thing, we got up top and found a gap in the silicone, rather tiny. Fixed by a bit of Dicor. I went up and found three other places that were improperly sealed. Again, fixed by Dicor. Our dealer was great. They submitted the before and after pics to Keystone.

I know this happens and it is a real lesson for all to go over your new ( and old ) rig with a fine tooth comb. I often went over our old camper.
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Wxman

Leaks are a great frustration, especially when it could have easily been avoided. My latest was in my S&B, not the RV.
Also, thanks KC10Chief and Terry W. Better than 3000 hrs in the seat with really nothing more than a couple hydraulic leaks over the years.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:17 AM   #10
Roth2020

34tsb

We just pulled home our 34TSB Wednesday night and Thursday morning it rained and we noticed our mattress was wet. I removed the inside wooden trim piece and the water appeared to be coming in from the top corner of the window. Like you I initially suspected the window but after applying some clear silicone under the rubber seal in the vicinity of the leak however it still persisted. That’s when I noticed the led light strip. Mine had silicone around the wires but I don’t think they had full coverage. I’ve applied some silicone and waiting to see if that fixes the problem.
Roth2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
Dave Gamble

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Thank you sooo much for posting about this water leakage issue. We purchased our 2019 26RBS in Oct 2018 and quickly noticed the top right corner of the mattress would get wet when it rained. We suspected the window was leaking; however, we couldn't figure out where so we would put a pan in the area to catch the dripping water whenever it would rain. While in Missouri 3 weeks ago it rained hard one night so I put the pan next to my head to catch the water. Hearing water drip, drip, drip into a pan at 2:00am about set me over the edge so when I came upon this thread I excitedly showed it to DH and he immediately pulled out a ladder and took a look. Yep! Same shoddy workmanship on on top of the front cap where the LED lighting wires are exposed. DH put some silicone on the exposed area and now we're just waiting on a good rainstorm to confirm the problem is solved. The DW
Dave Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
ddesh

Yep definitely check where the led light wires come through the front cap. Mine had a small blob of silicone also and not sealed there also. Now it won't leak!
ddesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:36 PM   #13
KC10Chief

Awesome! Glad to hear that my post was useful for somebody. The way it comes in, it runs around the fiberglass part for the window and between the metal backing on the insulation. Comes right in on the right side of the bed. I have camped in several rain storms recently and we are staying nice and dry now!
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:42 PM   #14
yesiamapirate

This forum is awesome!!
yesiamapirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone, leak, water, water leak