Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
nb1812

Help! Water heater issue

Need some fast help here - currently on our shakedown trip and no hot water. We have a 2019 passport ml 239 and currently on city water at a KOA. Checked the pressure relief valve and drain plug there is no water in the hot water tank. I for the life of me I have looked for a valve or anything but nothing. Checked under the sinks, the access under the tub, in the cabinets, behind the outdoor kitchen - nada. There is a hot water pex low point drain and that is it. Any help would be much appreciated.
nb1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #2
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Sounds like the HWT is currently bypassed, possible for the last winterization process. Obviously with no water in the HWT you do not want to turn on the heating source either Propane and/or electric. In general the bypass valves are located behind the actual HWT
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Go outside and locate your hwh vent/burner outlet. Note the location and go inside directly behind where you saw the vent. There should be some sort of panel access right in that vicinity. Remove the panel and you should see a valve (I suspect one). It is the bypass valve and was probably turned to bypass for winterization. It needs to be opened so the tank can fill. Do not, and I hope you haven't turned on the electric element trying to heat up the missing water - it can damage the element. Make sure the drain plug is in and the relief valve is closed, turn on the water and the tank should fill. After letting the water fill for a few minutes open a faucet to hot to get all the air out of the lines.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
nb1812

So apparently Keystone decided to place the shut off valve under the bunks which have no obvious markings or easy access. I had to disassemble the panels under the bunks to get to it. Holy moly I honesty would have never found it. Well we are cooking with steam...er hot water? Well thanks again for the help you all are making this new trailer thing 100% easier!!
nb1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a suggested mod for the cabinet/bunk base directly behind the water heater cutoff. You can buy the plastic port in your choice of colors for about $10 on Amazon, EBay or pick one up (probably more expensive) at West Marine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER HEATER ACCESS PORT3.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	21368   Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER HEATER ACCESS PORT2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	21369   Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER HEATER ACCESS PORT1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	21370  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #6
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb1812 View Post
Need some fast help here - currently on our shakedown trip and no hot water. We have a 2019 passport ml 239 and currently on city water at a KOA. Checked the pressure relief valve and drain plug there is no water in the hot water tank. I for the life of me I have looked for a valve or anything but nothing. Checked under the sinks, the access under the tub, in the cabinets, behind the outdoor kitchen - nada. There is a hot water pex low point drain and that is it. Any help would be much appreciated.
It really sounds like you did power up the water heater without water in the tank. If so, be prepared to replace the electric element, because without water in the tank, and with power to the element, even for just a minute, the element is toast.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater