Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #21
dsttexas

Battery life on tire sensors?

Not sure what batteries are used in the sensors but curious about their lifespan, whether the monitor tells you status, and ease of changing them.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #22
MarkEHansen

This is going to depend on the specific system and/or sensor.

I use the EezTire TPMS system. The batteries in the sensor are very easy to change. I don't think there is a warning on the display when they are getting low, but you will see problems with the display linking to the sensors.

I plan to change all the batteries out at some point here (since the system is fairly new to me) and then change them on a scheduled basis.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #23
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsttexas View Post
Not sure what batteries are used in the sensors but curious about their lifespan, whether the monitor tells you status, and ease of changing them.
Unless they're internal sensors, they are all pretty easy to change. As to when it's time to replace it, they usually just quit communicating with the monitor and then you know. Mine uses the CR2032 batteries, as do some others. It's just a matter of screwing off the top of the cap, putting in a new battery, and resyncing it to the monitor.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #24
FlyingAroundRV

We have the flow through sensors. They also use the 2032 battery but changing them is a little more challenging than the cap type. The battery covers on the flo thrus are held on with really tiny screws which were very tight. Also, they had an almost microscopic O ring for a seal.
When we put the rig in storage, I took the batteries out of everything including the tire sensors. I'm hoping the sensors will go back together reliably and not leak water. They're a bit fiddly, but it's worth the peace of mind they give me.
Like others, I also have a thermal gun and I shoot the tires and brakes when we stop.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #25
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsttexas View Post

Most external TPM sensors use "watch" style batteries like CR1632 or CR2032 available at many Box drug stores and grocery stores.
My experience has given me 1 to 2 years of use. But When I winterize and park the RV for months at a time I pull the sensor which both saves the battery and protects the sensor from freezing.

If the battery gets low your monitor will sens a signal indicating lost signal (different systems have different symbols ) but to my knowledge, all aftermarket systems have this warning. One alternative is to simply carry a couple of extra batteries and swap them out at the nest rest or fuel stop or just replace the batteries once a year. After a few years of use, you will learn your system normal life.

Changing is a one or two-minute process at most.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #26
Tireman9

General comment on TPMS on trailers.

I do not understand why anyone interested in improved safety would oppose or suggest that TPMS are not a good idea.

Most good systems allow you to adjust the settings so your low-pressure warning will alert you at whatever pressure you to want. If you want to have 65 or 80 psi or whatever you should be able to adjust the low pressure to that level or maybe 64 or 79. You can quickly learn the high-pressure alert is something like + 25% over your cold set pressure. A good system should also allow you to adjust for that warning.

Some systems have "Early Warning" which alert as soon as you lose a few psi from the hot running pressure so you get a bit of advance warning before the pressure drops below your set pressure. Depending on the size of the leak this might even give you time to exit the Interstate.

I have covered how I suggest TPM be set in a post on my blog.

Why don't RV MFG provide a system? For the same reason, they don't provide tires with +25% Reserve load. It costs some money.