Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2018, 05:10 AM   #1
Howie

Axle bearing grease question

I just had to replace all 4 brakes due to seal leakage on 2 wheels and decided to do all four. The dealer recommended Lucas "Red" as a good all around bearing grease so I cleaned out all the old before installing. After I finished I happened to see that Lippert (Master Manual) recommends NLGI2 and the Lucas is NLGI1. Does anyone know the difference and am I ok or should I redo with NLGI2 grease?
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:30 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Here is a link to NLGI grades:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number

If your axles are under warranty, I would definitely change it. Me personally, I would probably change it for peace of mind.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #3
Dave W

Use whatever greases Lippert/Dexter recommend. I have never had luck with my past performance vehicles with any product that says Lucas, feeling that it's sold as 'snake oil' and will correct any problems, real or imagined.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Triple GGG

I'd definitely change it.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
Wxman

Which Lucas grease did you use? Lucas Red-N-Tacky, which I would have thought was what the dealer was recommending, is a #2 grease. Very popular with the off road crowd and a lot of boat trailer owners due to high resistance to water wash out.
I have the Dexter EZ-lubes on my boat and RV and use the Red-N-Tacky. The Dexter labeled bearing grease is also a lithium complex, #2, red grease.
A #1 grease would be a little thinner and more prone to 'leaking' through the seal.
Use what makes you comfortable.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the link that chuckster provided, #1 grease is the consistency of tomato paste and #2 grease is the consistency of peanut butter. To me that doesn't seem like enough of a difference to cause any concern. If it were my trailer, I'd keep towing and next year, if it bothered me, when I repack the bearings, I'd "upgrade" to a thicker grease. This season, I'd keep an eye on the grease seals and if you notice any seepage, repack the bearings, otherwise, I wouldn't look back (for bearing problems) but I'd keep an eye on the tires (for Chinese problems)......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
tech740

I only use Red-N-Tacky for every application. It has a great resistance to water and it does not get runny with heat. I have always liked it for applications that have brakes and things of that nature due to the heat build up. If you do any cold weather towing it is good then also.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #8
Howie

I did use the red & tacky and after talking to the Keystone dealer, 2 different truck/trailer supply places, and a couple of college auto mechanics instructors, the only real difference between 1 & 2 is that 1 is slightly thinner for cooler climates and everyone agrees "it doesn't matter". AND there is nothing wrong at all with Lucas products...down the road I go.
Howie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, grease