Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #1
BirchyBoy

Considering a move to NC

My wife and I are considering moving out of Colorado and towards the East coast. Right now, the area of Winston-Salem, NC is looking very good from a housing cost standpoint. I am a teleworker and this area is within an hour or so of a company office, should I need any tech assistance.

Anyone here live in the area and would like to suggest good neighborhoods or places to avoid? One of our goals is to have a little land (2-3 acres) and have a dog rescue, but that is a few years away. But, if I could find the right place now, it would make it easier to do long-term. For that reason alone, we will spend some time looking outside city areas and looking in some rural areas. I grew up in a very small town in Eastern Maine, Downeast if you know what truly means, so a little drive to get groceries doesn't scare me.

Are there many "good" campgrounds within a 3 hour drive? By good, I mean clean, reliable hookups, etc.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
gearhead

Within 3 hours of Winston-Salem, I like Tanglewood Park in Clemson. It is a large county park with golf, stables, B&B, and a large dog park. The RV park was recently renovated. BUT, be aware that some of the sites are quite unlevel. I asked why and was told the county government would not allow any grade changes in the park. We have stayed there at least twice.
http://www.forsyth.cc/parks/tanglewood/
I wish I could help with real estate. I wouldn't mind living there myself. Really nice country. We do genealogy around there, mostly Yadkinville.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #3
T3/T4 Hybrid

My wife grew up in Clemmons which is just outside of Winston Salem. Its a nice area along with the Bermuda Run. If you are wanting to go North than the areas above Wake Forest are pretty nice also.

Good luck with the up coming move. You are going to miss the Rockies.
T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
CaptnJohn

You will be in about the middle ~~ not far to the mountains (really just big hills) and the coast. I'm more ocean type,,,, you will like NC.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:15 AM   #5
byrdr1

Winston-Salem is one hour from where I live. Nice area and is close to a more rural NC lifestyle. Several counties around W-S are rural and lots of farmland and winery's.
Catawba River, Pilot Mountain, My Airy are with in 1/2 hour of you. Lots of folks who work in W-S live in Davidson county, less taxes and good schools and just a generally good area. Next town over is Greensboro, NC and you are near High Point, NC. this 3 town area is called the Triad of NC. Lots of small quaint towns around you either way. I-40 runs East-West right through W-S on up to Asheville, NC and larger mountains on the east coast, US421 runs through right on up to Boone, NC and NC foothills and Mountains and Blue Ridge parkway. US 52 runs through on up to Mt Airy and VA mountains and blue ridge parkway @ fancy Gap, VA.
Just a great area to live near. I am sure you would not want to live in W-S, but the surrounding areas(counties) either way would be great.
To the coast of NC on I-40 would be around 4 hour ride to Wilmington, NC. to get to Boone, NC maybe 1-1&1/2 hours and you would be there.
Got one of the best teaching and research hospitals on the east coast in Baptist Hospital right it the middle of W-S.
W-S is moving from a old tobacco built it town to technological advanced town. Lots of the old tobacco plants being re-purposed as housing lofts and bio-tech type operations.
I know one area that grows human parts from tissue samples, this gives you the type of things happening in and around W-S.
I would consider rural areas around W-S as a starting point for your east coast move and if and when you move look us up..
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:46 AM   #6
BirchyBoy

Thanks for all the tips everyone!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-19-2016, 11:43 AM   #7
gearhead

Tanglewood last year...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00798.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	10268  
Old 04-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Tanglewood last year...
Very nice!
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 04-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
gearhead

Just saw I referenced "Clemson" it is "CLEMMONS".
Old 04-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #10
Tbos

When I posted about campgrounds near Statesville the responses included Tanglewood. It sounds nice. My daughter lives in Statesville so if you end up in W-S you'll be less than an hour away when we visit. We are camping at Carowinds Amusement Park 4th of July this year. I'll post a review.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #11
hdrolling

I'm not sure how Colorado is but the taxes in NC are horrible!

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post

Try MD taxes and then you will realize how much nicer the taxes are in NC.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:13 PM   #13
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrolling View Post
I have lived in NC a long time. I'm a real estate broker licenses in both NC and SC. That NC taxes are horrible ~~~ first time ever heard. Income taxis being reduced. Sales tax is NOT 8-10% like in many are taxes, areas. Real estate taxes range from very low to extremely low. Incorporated areas (cities and towns) taxes are naturally higher but not worth it to many when everything desired is outside and available. Not all those areas could be described as rural either, by any stretch.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #14
BirchyBoy

I just realized that it has been a while since I posted an update. We spent 5 days in NC over Memorial Day weekend. We spent a couple days in Raleigh and looked at quite a few homes and then a few days in Wilmington and looked at homes there. Raleigh was good, probably better from a future job perspective, but we liked the feel of Wilmington better. We're headed back tomorrow for more house hunting and will hopefully make an offer on a place this weekend. We loved some homes in Leland because they are new construction, but we're also going to look at some older homes in Wilmington as well.

While in Wilmington over Memorial Day weekend, my town home in CO went on the market at 9:00 am Sunday morning. We had 12 showings in two days and had five offers! We accepted the first offer, above asking price, and the inspection is done and the appraisal is pending. The contract included a clause requiring the buyer to make up a certain portion of a deficiency should the appraisal not meet the contract price. This was the buyer's offer and our realtor refined it. We are set to close on 6/29 and then have until 7/5 to get moved out. I've got movers scheduled for 7/1.

Times, they are a changing! If all goes well, we'll be heading from CO to NC in late July with our travel trailer in tow, and will setup in a camp ground while we wait for our closing to occur.
RIP Birch (pitbull)
Old 06-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I just realized that it has been a while since I posted an update. We spent 5 days in NC over Memorial Day weekend. We spent a couple days in Raleigh and looked at quite a few homes and then a few days in Wilmington and looked at homes there. Raleigh was good, probably better from a future job perspective, but we liked the feel of Wilmington better. We're headed back tomorrow for more house hunting and will hopefully make an offer on a place this weekend. We loved some homes in Leland because they are new construction, but we're also going to look at some older homes in Wilmington as well.

While in Wilmington over Memorial Day weekend, my town home in CO went on the market at 9:00 am Sunday morning. We had 12 showings in two days and had five offers! We accepted the first offer, above asking price, and the inspection is done and the appraisal is pending. The contract included a clause requiring the buyer to make up a certain portion of a deficiency should the appraisal not meet the contract price. This was the buyer's offer and our realtor refined it. We are set to close on 6/29 and then have until 7/5 to get moved out. I've got movers scheduled for 7/1.

Times, they are a changing! If all goes well, we'll be heading from CO to NC in late July with our travel trailer in tow, and will setup in a camp ground while we wait for our closing to occur.

Congrats on selling you TH so quickly. Sounds like you received a great offer. Good luck with your move.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #16
CaptnJohn

Great to hear you are moving to NC. I love it here, not far from you either. Not a fan of any city and Leland is about as close to one as you can get. Although continuing to improve ,our real estate markets do not seem as robust as where you left. There probably are more opportunities foe employment in Raleigh but nothing like living at the beach.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 06-16-2016, 07:23 AM   #17
byrdr1

Quote:

congratulations.. NC is a good place to live. I have lived here since i was 16.
Good area of NC Leland is good small town.. BUT so close to the coast to enjoy that and mountains a good 5&1/2-6 hour ride straight up I-40..
Great,

randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #18
Desert185

Science and facts.

www.homesnacks.net
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #19
gearhead

I'm thinking Cape Fear River just south of you is full of redfish, flounder, and probably sea trout.
Excellent choice sir!
Old 06-23-2016, 04:43 AM   #20
hdrolling

Quote:
We are set to close on 6/29 and then have until 7/5 to get moved out. I've got movers scheduled for 7/1.

Wow, that's fast closing with all the new regulations that went into effect last Oct. We just bought a new home in Dec 2015 and our closing kept getting pushed back due to the lenders figuring out all the new paperwork that has to be done.

Good luck with the move, great area!

Retired Army, 22yrs
hdrolling is offline   Reply With Quote