Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
busterbrown

A quality WDH with sway control is instrumental in pulling any substational trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. That's just the nature of the beast. When you jump up into the HD trucks (especially the dullies), sway becomes less of an issue. Or no issue at all as in this Big Truck Big Rv video:

https://youtu.be/iQwahPcx8tk

Sounds like the OP has a good combination (truck/trailer) when paired with the Husky hitch.

Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
BeckyMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux3 View Post
I don't need more truck. I'm pulling less than 50% of what I'm actually rated for. Less than 50% of pull weight and less than 50% of tongue weight.
My point was the importance of a good 4 point hitch.

We have all seen yahoos pulling a 17 ~ 22 ft TT down and interstate and everything is swaying.
I like my Husky Centerline TS.
We had a 19' TT that we pulled for several years without a WDH. Wee planned on buying one when we updated the trainer which was going to be "next year" for about 5 years. Life kept happening and our upgrade kept getting put off. Well, we upgraded the truck and trailer this spring and let me just say, WOW! I can't believe the difference for us, and boy are we lucky no one got hurt. It's clear we had no business towing the way we were!

BeckyMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyMax View Post
We had a 19' TT that we pulled for several years without a WDH. Wee planned on buying one when we updated the trainer which was going to be "next year" for about 5 years. Life kept happening and our upgrade kept getting put off. Well, we upgraded the truck and trailer this spring and let me just say, WOW! I can't believe the difference for us, and boy are we lucky no one got hurt. It's clear we had no business towing the way we were!
Thanks for sharing. This is a comment heard many times. Typically, only after a novice realizes through experience what "adequate towing feels like"... Far too often someone will buy a tow vehicle/trailer, tow with it and assume that what they feel when towing is the way it's supposed to be..... They fight substandard performance with the belief that it's that way because that's all that can be expected. Only after they upgrade and tow with a "matched pair" do they realize just how terrible things were with the previous setup.

It really goes back to the simple phrase, "You don't know what you don't know"... With towing, believing that it's "the best it gets" or "I don't even know it's back there" are often followed with "holy smokes, this feels so much better"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:48 PM   #14
linux3

I forgot to add:
When we were packing for our next outing my wife commented on how all the stuff on the shelves was mixed up and falling down. "How many bumps did you it" she asked.

None, looking back the WDH also smooths out the ride for the TT. That bounce I was feeling was real.
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 LT
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:54 AM   #15
bob91yj

I guess I've just been lucky, I've towed a 24' enclosed trailer with a Jeep in it for years on just a regular ball hitch with no issues. I'd guess the loaded trailer weight at around 10,000#'s with the Jeep in it. I've only towed our travel trailer twice...from the dealer ship to our sticks and bricks house and then to it's current location at an RV park with no issues. (Sold our house, stationary full timers now.)
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM   #16
ADQ K9

I do it, but I have a heavier truck for my TT. Tight manuvering areas prohibit the use of the WD/sway bars. I store my TT about 10 blocks from the house. When I haul it home its all residential streets and I stay 20 mph or under. Making a u turn in a cul-de-sac with a long bed crew cab and a 37' travel trailer can be done, I do it ever time I bring the trailer home.

ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote