Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #11
travelin texans

This just opposite for me! Mine came with 2 backup lights & 2 stop/taillights molded into rear cap, I replaced all 4 with LED stop/taillights as I do not ever plan on parking after dark but do regularly stop/turn & want to be seen.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB (FOR SALE)
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 05:41 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefenton76 View Post
Can someone tell me WHY manufacturers dont use the reverse light from the 7-pin and run a reserve wire to the tail lights and add one tiny white bulb to each side of the Trailer?

Makes no sense to me!

Why make us go through all of the hassles of wiring backup lights?
Single word answer: MONEY

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:37 PM   #13
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefenton76 View Post
Can someone tell me WHY manufacturers dont use the reverse light from the 7-pin and run a reserve wire to the tail lights and add one tiny white bulb to each side of the Trailer?

Makes no sense to me!

Why make us go through all of the hassles of wiring backup lights?
Exactly on the money! I had to trace my center (purple) wire to do a crimp connection to it and then run my own purple wire to the rear bumper. Then, I screwed on two "L" brackets and mounted standard 6" oval white lights in them. When I put my tow vehicle in reverse, the lights go on, no biggie. It is ridiculous that most RV's have no reverse/backup lights on them. At best, it's an inconvenience. At worst, it's a real dangerous thing for the times when you might need to back up, with vehicles coming forward, behind you.
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
This just opposite for me! Mine came with 2 backup lights & 2 stop/taillights molded into rear cap, I replaced all 4 with LED stop/taillights as I do not ever plan on parking after dark but do regularly stop/turn & want to be seen.
What's that joke about wanting to make God laugh by telling Him your plans? It's great that you know you'll never have to ever back up, at night. Wish I could find a way to eliminate that possibility from my RV'ing experience, forever.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #15
Ken / Claudia

Having the trailer rear lights wired with a clear lens backup light would be nice but, not any help from the driver's seat. Only those paying attention driving up behind you. I wired mine to to used while camping besides backing up. Nice to have light when dry camping behind trailer especially to start the genny or when big game hunting, lights up the hanging big game.
Yellow Lab "Dacoda"
Retired Oregon State Police
Now a small town traffic cop
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #16
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Having the trailer rear lights wired with a clear lens backup light would be nice but, not any help from the driver's seat. Only those paying attention driving up behind you. I wired mine to to used while camping besides backing up. Nice to have light when dry camping behind trailer especially to start the genny or when big game hunting, lights up the hanging big game.
Huh? I have my camera on, all of the time, driving forward and reverse. The backup lights make a BIG difference from the driver's seat, as long as your camera is on.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #17
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles65 View Post
What's that joke about wanting to make God laugh by telling Him your plans? It's great that you know you'll never have to ever back up, at night. Wish I could find a way to eliminate that possibility from my RV'ing experience, forever.
In my case we're retired & drive 200-300 miles per day, maybe, & will be stopped, parked, & set up long before dark.
Even before retirement the back up lights didn't help much with backing a trailer into a site, at least they never helped me.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB (FOR SALE)
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #18
Ken / Claudia

Miles, I never mentioned a camera. Turn yours off and tell us how well you see behind the trailer at night or even day time.
Yellow Lab "Dacoda"
Retired Oregon State Police
Now a small town traffic cop
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #19
BobMcC

Backup Light

I ran a 45' primary wire (16 ga) under my Carbon 347 and tied into the yellow wire in the junction box at the pin box. This was already wired to the reverse light in the 7 pin connector, it was just dead ended in the junction box. I added an Xsprite white LED (https://xpriteusa.com/1pc-4w-white-4...be-light-head/) to the center rear, just below the ramp hinge.

I also added a few other LED assemblies to "get noticed" when stopping. The original lights are simply not enough to make me feel safe when stopping.
BobMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
Kylemcmahon1

Added flush mount lights in my bumper. Only draw back is you loose sewer hose storage. For me not a big deal my sewer hose does not fit in there anyway. Ran a wire to the front trailer plug junction box hooked to back up wire. Works great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2180.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	17617Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2179.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	539.9 KB
ID:	17618

Kylemcmahon1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights