Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2018, 06:57 PM   #21
CarGuy

I will not do it for the same reason given to not use empty freon tanks for air tanks. These bottles are not strong enough to refill. Every time a tank is pressurized it expands a little then when pressure is released it contracts. This causes the metal to flex and continued flexing of metal causes it to weaken. It may work most of the time but it only takes one failure to cause a bad day/month/year/life.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:52 PM   #22
sourdough

So here's the deal to me, to the folks that are going to "cheat the curve" and save $1 on a disposable bottle....really? And refill it when it is fully understood that it is 1) illegal, and 2) extremely dangerous. Doing stupid things don't always result in the terrible ways they should. Some times you just get lucky and things just play out....until, stuff happens, and you get what you should have got for being dumb. In the example Jim gave it wasn't the idiot paying the price while filling the little bottle...it was his wife. I, and any of you, should not condone, or have time for, folks that would skimp out, go cheap, look for excuses to reuse these bottles; they may be camped next to you. You can either afford to have an RV and do it full tilt, or..get a tent. Cheap, is for those that shouldn't be RVing. JMO

sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:18 PM   #23
travelin texans

For those "that have been doing it for years" if you take anything away from this thread make that #1 - never do your refill indoors, #2 - do it as far away from me, & everyone else, that I'd just barely see the smoke.

Danny & Linda
Fulltime since '08
2013 Redwood 36FB (FOR SALE)
2013 Denali 3500 DRW D/A
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #24
Bolo4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
For those "that have been doing it for years" if you take anything away from this thread make that #1 - never do your refill indoors, #2 - do it as far away from me, & everyone else, that I'd just barely see the smoke.

Then how could we record it for Live Leak??
Old 07-11-2018, 02:13 AM   #25
WNY Bullet

I do not refill them. Actually I stopped using them altogether. I bought a fillable 5lb tank that I use strictly for my grill. Where I get my propane filled, they charge by the gallon, so it is the same price per gallon as I pay for my 30lb tanks. The tank itself was not cheap, but for the convenience it was worth it for me.

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:30 PM   #26
flybouy

Big dollar truck, big dollar trailrt, big dollar grill, all that plus personal safety on the line for a couple of dollars saved? To me this just does not compute. In years past before the on board quick disconnects I to used a 5 lb. tank. It took very little space and typically lasted a full season.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:15 AM   #27
larryflew

Although it is MUCH cheaper to refill at near $1 it is a bit of a pita. Did it for years but recently converted 3 things to use larger bottles. Still do it for 2 torches but that doesnt happen often. Very easy and safe to do. I would recommend you use soap bubbles after filling to make sure everything reset and there are no leaks. Have had 2 leakers out of maybe 100 (which equals approx $400 savings). Doesnt matter if stored in open area but could if stored in closed in spaces.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #28
SkiSmuggs

You can buy refillable 1lb bottles. They pay for themselves quickly. But a hose from a 20 gal tank is my favorite for using my Blackstone. I use the small ones in case I need Mr Heater.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #29
MrEnto

I bought a little 1 gal propane cylinder a long time ago and love it for the grill. Initial cost was a bit pricey but itís easy to handle and rarely needs refill. Stores well in my 5th wheels propane tank compartment with the dual 30ís.
MrEnto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:09 AM   #30
NHcamper

Simple solution and no need to recycle. Get a small refillable propane tank. can get ones that are 1 Lb., 5 Lb etc. easy to fill, safe and LIGHT. example. https://www.amazon.com/Worthington-2...l+propane+tank

NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas