Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #1
Number 4
Senior Member
 
Number 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 112
Water pump noise reduction

It's a little better after I stuffed the void around the water pump with the innards of a foam pillow, but to really quiet that thing down I will need to dive under the cabinet to unbolt the pump from the floor and re-install with some kind of vibration absorbing material between pump and floor. Any suggestions on what to use? A couple of computer mouse pads? A section of rubber garage floor mat? Something specifically made for this?
__________________

__________________

Number 4: 2013 Hideout 19FLBWE
Number 3: 1994 Skyline Nomad 1661
Number 2: 1971 Santa Fe
Number 1: 1967 Shasta Airflyte
2015 F-250 Lariat 6.2L CC 4x4 3.73
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 12,876
Any screw or bolt that goes through the pump mounts to the floor of the trailer will, if it is too tight, transfer the vibrations (and noise) from the pump into the floor. That makes a very efficient "speaker" that amplifies the vibrations into annoying sound. I solved our "water pump speaker" by building a vibration plate isolator from plywood and soft "garage mat" cushion foam. Here is an old diagram of what I did. I've posted it several times over the past 6 or 7 years, but the original is still working for my purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WATER%20PUMP%20MOUNT%20001.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	17431  
__________________

__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Number 4
Senior Member
 
Number 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Any screw or bolt that goes through the pump mounts to the floor of the trailer will, if it is too tight, transfer the vibrations (and noise) from the pump into the floor. That makes a very efficient "speaker" that amplifies the vibrations into annoying sound. I solved our "water pump speaker" by building a vibration plate isolator from plywood and soft "garage mat" cushion foam. Here is an old diagram of what I did. I've posted it several times over the past 6 or 7 years, but the original is still working for my purposes.
That's a great solution John. Thanks!
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #4
roadglide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: nm
Posts: 725
I'll be making the pump isolator because all work lineing the pex tubing with pipe insulation did not work
__________________
2018 1 ton 4x4 c.c standard bed GMC Denali
2015 311 Impact toy hauler
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2003 24 ft partycraft pontoon boat 125 Mecury .
2018 800 Z force sport. 1970 JD crawler loader.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
bobbecky
Senior Member
 
bobbecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Box Elder
Posts: 1,107
The way to isolate the pump from the PEX plumbing is to use an isolator kit. https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96
__________________
Bob & Becky
2012 3402 Montana
2012 Chevy 2500HD D/A CC
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
cavediver
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Swanton
Posts: 82
Thanks John I think I just might make one of those.

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team
 
JRTJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gaylord
Posts: 12,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediver View Post
Thanks John I think I just might make one of those.

Jack
It worked for me and significantly reduced the vibration. The first one I made, I used a stiffer "white plastic foam" and found it transferred the vibrations, so I made another one using softer foam from a 2x2 foot interlocking foam mat. It is much softer and absorbs rather than transmits the vibrations much better. When installed in conjunction with the soft hose connection (water pump installation kit) I saw a significant decrease in noise from my water pump.
__________________
John



2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM   #8
roadglide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: nm
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The way to isolate the pump from the PEX plumbing is to use an isolator kit. https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96
I wouldn't buy that first off it won't work for a pump touching the floor being in proper installed. Let me know if it worked for your rv ?
__________________
2018 1 ton 4x4 c.c standard bed GMC Denali
2015 311 Impact toy hauler
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2003 24 ft partycraft pontoon boat 125 Mecury .
2018 800 Z force sport. 1970 JD crawler loader.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #9
cavediver
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Swanton
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It worked for me and significantly reduced the vibration. The first one I made, I used a stiffer "white plastic foam" and found it transferred the vibrations, so I made another one using softer foam from a 2x2 foot interlocking foam mat. It is much softer and absorbs rather than transmits the vibrations much better. When installed in conjunction with the soft hose connection (water pump installation kit) I saw a significant decrease in noise from my water pump.
Thanks John I can pick up the soft hose at any hardware store. The rest I can make.

Jack
__________________

cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water, water pump

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RV is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.