Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2019, 06:15 PM   #1
SummitPond

TPMS Error Code

I have a TireMinder solar powered TPMS. Yesterday as we were driving back from our camping weekend it alarmed (see image with "n5" in lower left), so I quickly pulled over and manually checked all four trailer tires. All were OK (driver side read 70, passenger side read 65 - why the disconnect I don't know as they were all pressurized to 65 before we left). The alarmed tire reset when I removed and then replaced the sensor on the valve stem, but another tire (upper right) continued to flash (the alarm indication also flashes so it's dark on this shot) for quite a while. I had not touched the power button prior to that time, so it wasn't like I was trying to do a calibration. I did power the unit down and back up afterwards, but it continued to flash.

Does anyone know what the "n5" represents? Any ideas on the intermittent flash alarm state? I am unable to find any details on the MinderResearch web site, and the instructions provided with the unit do not show any alarm codes.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xIMG_2094 2019-01-20 TPMS error.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	19973   Click image for larger version

Name:	xIMG_2096 2019-01-20 TPMS error 2.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	19974  

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
kjohn

I think mine is the same. Did yours come with a little booster antenna? I snap tied mine somewhere down on the trailer hitch, by the batteries. I can't say I've had any codes, though. (Yet) It seems to be quite accurate and sensitive.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:41 PM   #3
SummitPond

Yes, I put it just behind the A-frame under the trailer body; I don't remember what I tie-strapped it to. I'm still trying to figure the TPMS operation out - the temperature would seem to be more affected by the ambient environment than the internal tire air, and while I am the first to admit my normal air pressure gauge is not the most accurate, there doesn't seem to be a correlation between its readings and the TPMS. But I figure I'm better off with the TPMS than without it. The TPMS supposedly triggers on changes in pressure as well as temperature, so that should provide a heads-up. I was quite quick to pull over when the TPMS sounded off. I'm glad it proved to be a false alarm.

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Ken,

According to the Tire Minder website, the usual code for "signal loss" is NO5. I wonder if, on the solar system, there are only 2 digits in the tire pressure field, so that was shortened to "N5" ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

I do not have on of these newer tire minder units. my guess is you had a loss of signal from that transmitter. With it being solar powered with that large display could it be also a power issue? Does unit plug into truck or battery backup only? as stated by the other member I would make sure that booster is operating, noticed on these newer tire minder units many now have the booster stated as required. In the old days the these boosters were optional.

On mine I am not concerned as much with the actual pressure and temp but more concerned with the changes during travel which triggers the alarms
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #6
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ken,

According to the Tire Minder website, the usual code for "signal loss" is NO5. I wonder if, on the solar system, there are only 2 digits in the tire pressure field, so that was shortened to "N5" ????
John

You are obviously much better at searching than I. Your idea is a distinct possibility. Thank you.

Where did you find the error codes? They eluded me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
I do not have on of these newer tire minder units. my guess is you had a loss of signal from that transmitter. With it being solar powered with that large display could it be also a power issue? Does unit plug into truck or battery backup only? as stated by the other member I would make sure that booster is operating, noticed on these newer tire minder units many now have the booster stated as required. In the old days the these boosters were optional.

On mine I am not concerned as much with the actual pressure and temp but more concerned with the changes during travel which triggers the alarms
Bill

As it was an extremely overcast day I did have it plugged in. Maybe the cold temperatures temporarily diminished the ability of that particular battery to provide a strong enough signal or the booster is not working (something I'll check tomorrow). As you said, it's the changes that trigger the alert. Unfortunately when I wear polarized sunglasses the display is difficult to read, and even though it was overcast there was quite a glare. It was the sound alarm that notified me there was an issue.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Ken

Old 01-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

just google say "N5 error on tire minder"

Do not have my manual in front of me but search result came up with "N05 loss of signal" I would check things you mentioned
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Ken,

I found it in the FAQ section, about the 5th question down:
https://www.minderresearch.com/tpms-...ked-questions/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #9
jsmith948

I think you will find that the "5" is actually an LED digital "S" as in "No Signal" or "No Sensor".

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
I think you will find that the "5" is actually an LED digital "S" as in "No Signal" or "No Sensor".
As with anything "digital" the limitations of the "segment display" requires some "imagination" from the user. This is the way the manufacturer (in the link above) explains the use of "NO5" as meaning "S"ignal.....

What does NO5 or Signal Loss Mean?

If this appears on the display, it means the monitor has lost the “S”ignal from one or more transmitters.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 01-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
SummitPond

Update:

I checked the booster - green light. I sent a message to TireMinder asking for a list of error codes and to see if they have an idea as to what would cause the issue I had. No response as of yet; I'll update when (and if) they reply.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #12
Ken / Claudia

I have a older 1 and ask did you replace the battery in the stem? Reason is on my 1st trip at about 1.5 hours of travel I got the same alarm. I changed out the battery and for the next 1,000 miles it worked fine. I then bought better batteries than the ones they came with and no more loss signal problems and I am on year 2. I was going to hard wire the booster to a battery, but so far the clips work great. While not being used I disconnect them.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:34 PM   #13
SummitPond

Ken

No, I did not change out the battery for that sensor. The DW stayed in the truck while was out seeing if there was a problem, and she indicated the NS alarm cleared after I had placed the sensor back on the stem after removing it to check the tire pressure with the gauge. She said each position alarmed as I removed the sensor, and all (but the front passenger side) reset when placed back on the stem. It took a while for that wayward sensor to finally clear.

I don't recall the brand of battery that came with the sensors. The package had a total of 8 batteries; perhaps I'll swap them out and see. I also have the booster clipped to the battery; the clips were firmly attached when I checked.

Ken

Old 01-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #14
Ken / Claudia

Regarding batteries, any of them. Get the good ones that cost a little more. The batteries they send me were cheapo type. Maybe like the 4 for a dollar at the dollar store. As I recall, I had a different location TPMS fail after a couple months. That's when I just replaced everyone with a duracells for maybe 12 bucks for 4. LIke I said 2 years so, far no other signal problems.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:47 AM   #15
BadmanRick

Tire minder customer service

I would call tire minder customer service. They are really great. They will tell you the exact code you are getting and They do offer free battery replacement each year on most of their products. I have found with mine I get about a year from the batteries they supplied. Yes Duracell are better batteries and cost more but usually I change mine at the beginning on the season. As far as the booster antenna it should be as close to the front of the trailer as possible. I mounted mine on the front side of the front frame behind the battery. I have a Premier 19FBPR. Then I put a waterproof toggle switch in the front of the white box to turn the booster on and off. It’s illuminated and works great. As far as temperatures and pressure both increases the farther I drive and then stabilize. I live in Florida and the temps go up above 100 when the outside temperature is over 90 degrees. Pressure goes up with the temp. I’m glad I have the tire minders on my TT.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:51 AM   #16
DJ&JA

When I've received error codes it was a matter of unscrewing the sensor and putting it back on again. That would clear the code as there was no apparent issue with said tire. My guess is that these errors may go away when I replace the factory rubber valve stems with metal ones. The inherent vibration from the rubber stems could possibly compromise the function of the sensors. I screwed the booster to the plastic underside at the front.

I also found it to be more efficient and secure to replace the alligator clips with a circular crimp terminals to the battery posts. With wing nuts in place of regular nuts, disconnecting any leads from the battery is quick and easy.
DJ&JA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 01:40 PM   #17
BadmanRick

[QUOTE=BadmanRick;324468]I would call tire minder customer service. They are really great. They will tell you the exact code you are getting and They do offer free battery replacement each year on most of their products. I have found with mine I get about a year from the batteries they supplied. Yes Duracell are better batteries and cost more but usually I change mine at the beginning on the season. As far as the booster antenna it should be as close to the front of the trailer as possible. I mounted mine on the front side of the front frame behind the battery. I have a Premier 19FBPR. Then I put a waterproof toggle switch in the front of the wire junction box to turn the booster on and off. It’s illuminated and works great. As far as temperatures and pressure both increases the farther I drive and then stabilize. I live in Florida and the temps go up above 100 when the outside temperature is over 90 degrees. Pressure goes up with the temp. I’m glad I have the tire minders on my TT. I also changed from the rubber valve stems to metal.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #18
Scubadad

No 5 error

I bought one last summer. It isn’t the solar, but I get the No5 error on occasion. Mine shows “no signal” in another location. I am glad I saw this post. I will get new batteries next time before we take it out. After stopping the 1st couple of times, I just kept going. I like the ideal of a lighted power switch. I think I will mount it near the level control. Then I can turn it on and off when hitching and unhitching.
Scubadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #19
CrazyCain

When my tireminder lost signal a few times, i just pulled over, checked the tire in question to make sure it was fine, unscrewed the sensor,put it back on and all was well. I think things may loosen or gets stuck at times.. IMO

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:24 PM   #20
kjohn

Some good info. I will be having to switch my sending units over to our new trailer. I'll look into putting new batteries in them.

Thanks for sharing.