Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 09:47 AM   #1
jrhoads23

TV mount location on Outback 23RS

I know there are various topics out there on TV mounts, but I havent found any specific to my model (2007 Outback 23RS). The original design for this model was to have a little cubbie hole built into the cabinets above the right side of the kitchen counter (for a smaller tube TV - remember this is 2007). This is what ours has. I have seen other people remove that cubbie area and put an articulating TV mount on the side of the cabinet (see attached pic - this is not my camper - just one option what people do - it has the cubbie area removed)

I am toying with doing this or attaching the TV mount to the side wall and wanted to bounce it off everyone:

Mount on cabinet:
This is what the attached pic has. How much weight can these cabinets support? My 24" TV is 9 lbs and the mount is 5 lbs and in order to have it work best, the mount would need to be attached as far out on the cabinet as possible

Mount on side wall (Option 2 in pic):
Would need to make sure it isnt in the way when I push the rear slide bed in. Is there anything in that wall right there like a stud or something I can attach a mount to? Some people say their camper has a "TV Mount Here" sticker somewhere showing where they can mount, but mine doesnt. Would I just try to find one with a stud finder? Anything I need to watch out for?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	18639  
jrhoads23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:38 AM   #2
jrhoads23

Any thoughts on this? I emailed Keystone about it and I just got their canned response that no modifications are allowed or supported, blah blah blah. Has anyone done this?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:26 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Obviously, on a 2007 model trailer, warranty issues are not an issue (pun intended). So, the concern would be whether or not a stud or mounting plate could be found in the area of the intended installation. Chances are there's no mounting plate behind the luan paneling, so something would likely need to be installed to span between the available studs that is strong enough to support the 15+ pounds of the TV and mounting arm. I'd think a "stylish, DW approved panel" constructed of plywood that is thick enough to support the weight, attached to the wall would support the TV. If you do decide to install anything there, remember the exterior walls are just slightly thicker than 2", so be extremely careful in selecting screws that are shorter than that !!!!!

There are no schematics or blueprints to help guide you, so don't look to Keystone for any assistance in how your trailer was constructed or where any components might be located.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
jrhoads23

Thanks. The mount I have is meant to be mounted to a single stud... so do you think I still need to go the plywood route to span two studs (assuming the single stud is in a good spot)? Or is it suggested to span two studs regardless to distribute the weight of the TV and mount?

Also, can I just find the studs using a traditional stud finder?

Thanks!!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhoads23 View Post
Thanks. The mount I have is meant to be mounted to a single stud... so do you think I still need to go the plywood route to span two studs (assuming the single stud is in a good spot)? Or is it suggested to span two studs regardless to distribute the weight of the TV and mount?

Also, can I just find the studs using a traditional stud finder?

Thanks!!
My guess would be the single stud referenced would be in s&b home and not bouncing around inside a trailer. A stud finder should work. I would use the decorative wood to spread out the various loads that motion traveling will inflict.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

I would consider John's idea. A piece of 5/8" or 3/4" plywood screwed in at multiple places would provide a much sturdier mount for your TV. I just got done modifying the box where my TV sat because it wasn't readily viewable from the couch for the person sitting on the left. I put a BIG articulating mount from Harbor Freight and can turn the TV at an angle and angle it downwards. Couldn't do that from the rear of the entertainment center box so I put a false back made of 5/8" plywood screwed to some scrap 2x4" pieces which are not visible behind the back. The new mount works for me. Virtually any tv and mount can be bolted to a piece of plywood (I used finish birch plywood) and the mount I used can be shoved straight back almost against the backing plywood flush.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:06 AM   #7
jrhoads23

wiredgeorge could you please post a pic?
Old 09-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Sure. Harbor Freight mount. TV is 40". The place where the mount is attached is the 5/8" birch sanded finish grade plywood I stained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount_install.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	18664  
Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
jrhoads23

Thanks! Looks very nice.

Does anyone see a problem with putting the mount on the side of the cabinet (like the one that is mounted in the photo I posted)? I dont know how these cabinets are secured to the wall and/or ceiling so I wasnt sure if anchoring ~15 lbs there would be suspect
Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

That should be OK but I would put a piece of wood inside the cabinet as I am think the cabinet itself isn't going to be that strong.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:20 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhoads23 View Post
Thanks! Looks very nice.

Does anyone see a problem with putting the mount on the side of the cabinet (like the one that is mounted in the photo I posted)? I dont know how these cabinets are secured to the wall and/or ceiling so I wasnt sure if anchoring ~15 lbs there would be suspect
Ii would think the cabinet's attachment to the trailer is designed to hold weight, dishes, etc. but unless it has a sticker (doubtful) you wouldn't know how much weight is max. Common sense to me would dictate a backing plate to reinforce as previously suggested. I'm guessing the cabinet material is presswood or MDF. I'd suggest using thru bolts with washers on the wood for the television mount. I would also suggest screw and glue the backer board using carefully selected screw length to avoid penetrating the cabinet face.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:27 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

I think he was talking about going into the side of cabinet. I doubt seriously that whatever that cabinet side is made of is stout enough to hang anything outside that is bouncing around extended a bit. The extension physically adds to the weight load more than just static weight.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I think he was talking about going into the side of cabinet. I doubt seriously that whatever that cabinet side is made of is stout enough to hang anything outside that is bouncing around extended a bit. The extension physically adds to the weight load more than just static weight.
If you read my comment it references mounting it to the cabinet side and reinforcing it.
Fully aware of the inertia moment and given the measurements and weights could do the vector math but you bring up a point that if he mounts it ANYWHERE with the possibility of the tv swinging out to full extension the mount on the back of the tv could be the weak point.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #14
jrhoads23

I think no matter what I go with, I am going to remove the TV while in motion. The mount I got was designed for RVs that make it fairly easy to remove the TV for this reason

Tags
outback, tv mount