Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
bmcvazquez

Thermostat Issue/Concern

Greetings,

I have a 2019 Keystone Cougar Half-ton 29BHS. I took it out for the second time on Saturday and everything was going well. Well until it was time to turn on the two a/c's in our RV. The main cabin a/c worked perfectly. The second one in the master bedroom would not turn on. I stopped and began checking the in command system, etc. Then, I realized that the thermostat in the master bedroom was displaying 40 degrees Fahrenheit!!?? I tapped the thermostat, used a laser thermometer, checked the electrical circuits, etc. I could not turn on the second a/c because the thermostat was reading lower than the lowest setting of 55 deg.

About 1.5 hours later (I live in South Florida and it was about 87 deg outside) the temperature in my tt dropped to about 69 degrees. Suddenly, I noticed the thermostat in the master was reading 70 and when I turned on the a/c, it worked perfectly and I had no more problems for the rest of my stay.

Has anyone had this issue or could provide some tips/advise if this happens again? Do I need to replace the thermostat on my new tt? Thank you in advance for any assistance.
bmcvazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #2
smithfrh

I had a similar problem and contacted dometic and they sent me a new thermostat
smithfrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
LHaven

Quite possibly you are seeing this known problem.

I'm making the assumption that your rig does have InCommand, being a 2019.

It's not clear from your posting whether or not the 40° that the thermostat was "showing" was the set temperature or the perceived temperature. InCommand does have a trick for resetting thermostats whose set temperature has somehow gotten set outside the valid bounds of their equipment; it involves setting the unit to fan only and then playing with the set temperature. I've never had to try it, because the one time this happened to me it just let me raise the set temperature back to within the allowed bounds without doing anything special.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
DroughtBuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithfrh View Post
I had a similar problem and contacted dometic and they sent me a new thermostat
Do you still have the telephone number for Dometic? I think i have a similar issue. Not sure where the thermostat is on my 2019 Cougar with the In Command system.
DroughtBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #5
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroughtBuster View Post
Do you still have the telephone number for Dometic? I think i have a similar issue. Not sure where the thermostat is on my 2019 Cougar with the In Command system.
You don't specify your model. In my 2019 Cougar, the thermostat is split -- the control logic is either in the inCommand box or in the Dometic gateway inside the AC well (not sure which), but the ambient temperature sensor is in a little black gridded dome mounted on the wall across the corridor from it.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
DroughtBuster

I have a 2019 Cougar 26RBS. Yes, the temperature sensor is the small globe on the wall near the In Command panel. But I think that is working properly because the In Command panel is showing the correct temperature inside the coach. I assumed there was also a thermostat that told the AC when to run based on the temperature I set. In other words, the temperature sensors work because the In Command panel shows the accurate temperature inside the coach. But something is telling the AC to run despite the fact that the sensor is telling the system it is cold enough.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
LHaven

By how many degrees? Does it shut off once the temp gets a degree or two colder than the setting, or does it just not shut off?

If you have a can of canned air (computer duster), hold it upside down and give a short spritz onto the dome. The perceived temperature should drop about 10° or more. If the panel shows that but the AC still doesn't shut off, I suspect you have a gateway problem.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:03 PM   #8
DroughtBuster

No, it was a huge difference. I went out at 7:00 am the other morning and found the AC running when the temperature was set at 90 degrees (I only wanted it to come on if it was really hot in there) and the t In Command system panel indicated that the temperature inside the camper was 34 degrees (which I confirmed was accurate with a thermometer).
Old 09-23-2020, 04:17 PM   #9
LHaven

Well, clearly if your thermistor is reporting an accurate temperature that displays on the inCommand panel, then the problem has got to be in your gateway or your air conditioner.