Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #21
guitarboy52

Thanks for all the response. I guess I was just looking for some idea as to how much time/miles I might expect to be able to handle in a day. I realize that when dragging several thousand pounds behind you, alertness is an absolute must. I have always been kind of goal oriented, get from point A to point B as quickly and efficiently as possible. I always equated an extra night on the road as an extra $100.00 or more, figuring hotel/motel and meals. My wife and I are both retired, we don't have to be in a hurry. Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments and I promise, I'll do everything in my power to remain a happy camper.
guitarboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:56 PM   #22
Miles65

I drove my old Class C from Destin Beach, FL, to Austin, TX., in fifteen hours, almost straight. When I got to the NW side of Houston, acute fatigue hit me like a bullet. I knew I would fall asleep at the wheel in the next five minutes. At that point I didn't care if the cops came a-knocking. I pulled over, on I-10, and jumped onto the couch. After fifteen minutes of solid sleep, I made the next 2.5 hours to Austin, no problem. I have conceded to my advancing years, my long-haul runs. I now keep my driving to six hours, max. At 50 mph, average, I'm OK for 300 miles a leg.
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy52 View Post
Thanks for all the response. I guess I was just looking for some idea as to how much time/miles I might expect to be able to handle in a day. I realize that when dragging several thousand pounds behind you, alertness is an absolute must. I have always been kind of goal oriented, get from point A to point B as quickly and efficiently as possible. I always equated an extra night on the road as an extra $100.00 or more, figuring hotel/motel and meals. My wife and I are both retired, we don't have to be in a hurry. Thanks again for all the suggestions and comments and I promise, I'll do everything in my power to remain a happy camper.

I too was always "goal oriented". The destination was the "prize"/goal. I didn't care about costs because my company paid them all - I could take 3 nights to make a 300 mile trip. I didn't do that because my goal was to get from A to B as quickly as I could - I had stuff to do when I got there.

That mentality permeated my life. Every trip we took while I was working was to get from A to B, even in personal life. Never mind that the kids or mom wanted to stop and look at this or that....the goal was the destination. I lived that way until I retired....and then a few years. I always thought about where I was going, not what's in between. It's a mindset. It took me years to unwind from it. My clock is wound very tight and wasting time really irks me.....now, I've figured out that having fun is not wasting time.

And, spending an extra night or more while reaching the "goal"?? I used to LOVE cooking and eating a huge dinner; hours worth of preparation and cooking. Now, I'll do that once a month. I now LOVE a great breakfast; sometimes mine, sometimes (more often) at a good restaurant that 1) can fry a perfect OE egg, 2) has bacon that tastes right, 3) hash browns, 4) good gravy and biscuits!!!

You're retired. Take the time to smell the roses. Driving until you are beat, or your eyes are closing, with that big RV behind you is not a good choice. Have fun. Hope you have a blast and remember; "hoping to remain a happy
camper" is 100% a mental decision and how you want to view "stuff". It IS a fun ride...just keep things in perspective.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #24
roadglide

350 normally it would be 200 if the the women didn't pull. I plane all my stops moose ,legion mostly. The designated area I get with in 50 miles . I have 50 gallon rdb auxiliary it's a blessing I normally get fuel cheaper down the road . I just came back form the south west 4000 mile trip my diesel average was 295 a gallon . THE BEST trips are I'll get when I'm there .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:58 PM   #25
SkiSmuggs

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
The time killer when traveling is refueling. You wait in line, fill up, clean the windshield, check the tires, get a soda, get back on the road, and 45 to 60 minutes is gone.

350 to 400 miles is comfortable for us. I've done 600, but not often. It just leaves us both wiped out.
Clean the windshield? What happened to the guy in uniform who runs out and does that for you?
Old 07-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #26
66joej

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
Clean the windshield? What happened to the guy in uniform who runs out and does that for you?
I believe he went the way of the DODO bird.
Way back in the olden days we used to watch Hockey Night in Canada "brought to you by your friendly Imperial Esso agent".
Well Murray Westgate (the guy in the uniform at commercial time) passed away and they never replaced him.
6 team league back then if anyone remembers. Foster Hewitt was the play by play guy and Danny Gallivan did Montreal home games.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #27
cavediver

When we were still working and had a distination in mind we liked to start in the evenings to make it through major cities at night. Now that we are retired much of that will change. I would still like to avoid the traffic of major cities. I would still like to get 300 miles.

Jack
cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:37 AM   #28
rick-eureka

One thing that has been touched but not really discussed---are fuel stops. They do take time and energy. On our Ford F-350 we installed a 50 gallon tank for about $1500. Smartest thing we have done as far as miles traveled. In most cases it will last a day's drive. After we have parked our 5er, I can usually go on Bas Buddy and save 30 to 50 cents per gallon on fuel. Eliminates fuel stops and saves money and time!
rick-eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:35 AM   #29
Sunnysidebeach

We have gone from a tent, pop up tent, 30 Ft Airstream Land Yacht, 30 Class A, and now a Keystone 30 travel trailer.

The little pop up towed behind a heavy half ton pickup was like driving your car, and we cruised at 75 mph, on the interstate and 300-450 miles days were no big deal.
When we got the motorhome, looking for a spot, to stop for the night and worried about getting to campground, before it got dark was a thing of the past. We’d stop at a rest stop, fire up the generator, eat diner, relax and sleep for a few hours then back on the road. Example getting off work at 3pm in central Florida and arriving in Nashville TN at 10 am the next morning.

We’re now about to retire, and at this age, with the added stress of towing more than the truck weights, we like to go about 2-5 hours, and we try to always have a campsite reserved, we are headed too.
Sunnysidebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:30 AM   #30
rhagfo

I agree with Bolo4u, so our next move is only about 145 miles to a SP just south of Waldport, OR from Buxton, OR all on two lane state highways and through Lincoln City and Newport. That six miles of Lincoln City can take 30 minutes easily in the summer. Maps state just over three hours, my guess it will be closer to four.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #31
B-O-B'03

We have a wedding, in Ouray CO, for our next trip.

Google says 946 miles and I plan on making an over-night, in San Jon NM, on the way out. The city campground allows free over-night camping and it is almost 1/2 way.

The, paltry, 26 gallon tank on the F150 ensures plenty of pit stops along the way and we will probably make a more leisurely way back home.

Can't wait until we are retired and can leave when it is more convenient, but until then that is what I have to do.

-Brian
Old 07-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
We have a wedding, in Ouray CO, for our next trip.

Google says 946 miles and I plan on making an over-night, in San Jon NM, on the way out. The city campground allows free over-night camping and it is almost 1/2 way.

The, paltry, 26 gallon tank on the F150 ensures plenty of pit stops along the way and we will probably make a more leisurely way back home.

Can't wait until we are retired and can leave when it is more convenient, but until then that is what I have to do.

-Brian

Well, at least you are going to a really beautiful place! A wedding in Ouray....sure beats a wedding in the middle of W TX! If you're up for it and have time you should trek over the mountain to Telluride via Imogene Pass (Tommy Boy mine). You could also try Black Bear pass, but, if all you have is the TV I would surely advise against it - but it is fun and beautiful. Have fun.
Old 07-08-2018, 04:31 AM   #33
the sodfather

Pulling a TT, 300-350 is my go to mileage, more if necessary (and it better be necessary and not poor planning!). I’ve driven a car from Massachusetts to Texas in 2 days because I was young and dumb. Not any more. RV’s are about vacation and personal time. Now, I’ll only go as far as I can and still enjoy the rest of the day...
Old 07-08-2018, 06:33 AM   #34
Miles65

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Well, at least you are going to a really beautiful place! A wedding in Ouray....sure beats a wedding in the middle of W TX! If you're up for it and have time you should trek over the mountain to Telluride via Imogene Pass (Tommy Boy mine). You could also try Black Bear pass, but, if all you have is the TV I would surely advise against it - but it is fun and beautiful. Have fun.
Been over Imogene Pass in a raised, 4X4 Jeep. White knuckle experience, for sure. Do NOT even think about going this route if you're towing anything or not riding well above the road. To be fair, I did this route some twenty years ago, so things may be quite different now. Maybe there's a super highway in place.
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:52 PM   #35
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Definitely one of our favorite areas... we did the Black Bear pass, a couple of years ago, in a hired Pinzgaur.

The DW sat up front, with her hand on the door latch... not sure what would have been worse, riding the Pinz down the mountain or bailing out.

-Brian
Old 07-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

It's been several years since I've made Black Bear - always in a Jeep making them very maneuverable. I love that view coming down into Telluride. If you haven't, you should try Imogene. Not as technical but has some pretty nice scenery and road situations....and, you can always leave a note at the mailbox at the top... Unlike Black Bear, you can start at either the Ouray or Telluride end.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:44 AM   #37
mfifield01

On the way back from Colorado last week, I did 475 miles in a day. The wind in W Texas made it a long day. We were going into a 20-30 mph wind. My MPG was horrible coming into Lubbock.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #38
Bisjoe

We just did 14 hours straight coming back from a vacation in July, but that was without the trailer, we had rented a VRBO condo. The most we have towed so far in our first year was about 3 hours. I feel like 5-6 would be manageable, but that would be it. It takes a lot more concentration when towing, so it's more tiring. The nice thing is that if there are no rest areas you can pull off to the side of the road for a quick hop into the trailer.

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #39
Javi

I'm fixin' to do 497 miles from Waco to Ft. Davis, TX... 'bout 9 - 9 1/2 hours...and then back 6 days later...

Ain't nothing but a thing...
Old 08-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #40
JimMach1

Travel

We have done 600 pulling our 5er not a fun trip. Won’t do again we like the 300 mile range and I plan it out to make reservations the day we leave and coming home stop at the same campground I’m a creature of habit when we retire that will change. We hope to Rv more we are loving it more this year. Kids can’t move back in if they can’t find you.
JimMach1 is offline   Reply With Quote