Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2017, 04:54 PM   #1
jmart273

Required maintenance

I'm looking for a one-stop guide that explains all of the maintenance required on the RV. What type of lubricants to use on what. Frequency, etc. Is there anything like this?

I can find an article/post/video on one thing, but everyone seem a little different on how they do it. Is there a comprehensive post or video out there that explains everything from the antenna to wheel bearings?
jmart273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
bobbecky

Because there are so many combinations of parts installed on these rigs, the best you can do is start downloading from each manufacturer of the components installed on your rig, their manuals. This includes everything from the axles all the way up to the antenna. Be sure to get the model numbers so you can get the correct manuals.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

How about all the manuals that came with the trailer. It's been a few years since I went thru all mine but, I think each covered maintenance, warranty, install, parts, and use.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Chapter 13 in the 2018 Keystone Owner's Manual contains a very comprehensive maintenance guide for every RV system and sub-system. If you don't have a copy of that manual, you can download a copy at: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s.../owners-manual On the current webpage it's the second selection. That will change as Keystone updates their website to include future editions of the manuals.

Also, on page 84 of that manual is a figure that includes a time frame and maintenance actions "in chart form". It's easy to read information and very comprehensive for most "do it yourselfers" ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
jmart273

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Chapter 13 in the 2018 Keystone Owner's Manual contains a very comprehensive maintenance guide for every RV system and sub-system. If you don't have a copy of that manual, you can download a copy at: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-s.../owners-manual On the current webpage it's the second selection. That will change as Keystone updates their website to include future editions of the manuals.

Also, on page 84 of that manual is a figure that includes a time frame and maintenance actions "in chart form". It's easy to read information and very comprehensive for most "do it yourselfers" ...
Thanks for that link. I sure wish I had that 10 months ago when I bought my 5er! Although that manual is very informative, it looks like as far as maintenance goes, I have to refer to each and every manufacturers instructions and come up with my own list, or just take it to a service center and pay them to do everything.

I was really hoping someone had an article(s) or a video(s) that described the following (just off the top of my head):
-Tires/Lug nuts
-Wheel bearings
-Roof care
-Wash/wax routine
-Landing gear greasing
-Pin box & hitch
-Antenna greasing
-Manual crank jack greasing
-Propane tanks/system?
-Anything electrical?
-Plumbing?
-Locks
-Awning care
-Slideout rubber seals
-Slideout mechanism
-Battery care
-Appliances?
Old 10-26-2017, 06:23 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't think you'll ever find any specific "combined instructions" on the items you list. My reasoning is because there are a number of different companies supplying those items for Keystone. As an example, attempting to compile a list of maintenance requirements for something as simple as the TV antenna: There are four different types of antenna installed on Keystone trailers. So, the list would either need to say, "Refer to the individual equipment manual" or it would need to include instructions to maintain all 4 brands.

Now, couple that with 6 or 7 axle brands and weight ratings, 3 stove brands, 5 refrigerator brands, 3 landing gear brands, 3 awning brands (with both manual and electric types), 5 slideout types made by 3 companies and the list goes on and on....

Now, to try to make a manual for each brand of trailer, when the appliances change mid-year? or when there's changes within the assembly line because of optional equipment that means a change to other items as well? An example, a change from 16" load range E tires to optional load range G tires means a change to wheels and could also mean a change of axles, depending on what the engineers have stipulated for that trailer.

That "single list from Keystone" would probably be 90-100 pages long, if it included all the items on just one of Keystone trailer brands and likely to be well over 500 pages if it included all the items that Keystone buys and installs on "all of their brands".

Now, to be honest, as you say, it would be nice if Keystone would provide a trailer specific checklist. But, doing so would be an administrative nightmare for the company and would probably cause them to create a new office at the company, just compiling checklists and changing them for each trailer that comes off the line, depending on what was added or deleted from that specific unit. It would quickly consume way too many man-hours just trying to keep up with what is in each trailer and making a "unit specific checklist" for each unit.

It's much cheaper and easier to manage the way Keystone (and all other manufacturers) by just putting all the individual manuals in a packet and letting the owner "figure it all out".....

By the way, if you own a 2011 or newer Ford diesel, try to find antifreeze and test strips for the cooling system. Talk about confusing, the only place to buy them is from the dealer, and even then, the test strips talked about in the owner's manual (at least for 2015) don't test the same coolant specifications way as the spectrometer used in their own shop. My point: Even the automobile manufacturers don't offer that kind of "component by component checklist".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
jmart273

Thanks for the replies and feedback!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:32 AM   #8
mazboy

i think you are over thining the whole thing. most of it is just looking at the things you mention.
good example on wash/wax. wash it when you think it is dirty and wax it once or twice a year.
another, antenna greasing? never have nor will i do that.
and as for propane. fill when they are empty. I turn one on and the other off so i know when i need to fill the tank. (the person filling the tank will look at the tank and tell you if it needs to be renewed or replaced.)
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #9
Tbos

Most of us have seen the xxx for dummies book series. This subject seems ideal for a book to be written. Any writers or researchers out there want to try and sell this idea?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
bobbecky

I bought this book soon after purchasing our first rig. It is almost an RV For Dummies book, but really much more detailed. I don't think it is published anymore, and I only paid $24.95 when I bought it, not anywhere close to what they are asking for a new copy of it. It covers almost everything on your rig, and if you can get a copy, I'm sure it will help the person wanting to do their own work on these rigs. There are other manuals similar to this one, but I'm not familiar with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Woodalls-RV-O...1HPYVBZBFXCGJB
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:20 AM   #11
Jeremy888

The truth is that Keystone will not give out a Service Manual or even a wiring diagram . I asked Keystone for a wiring
diagram and was told none were available because they change model details so much. J was told to go a dealer! What a crock of BS . Every RV has a wiring diagram. Keystone won't give out real Manuals and repair information because they have a sweetheart agreement with their dealers. This means a guy like is me who has been repairing his own RV for 25 years has zero help after spending 58,000$ on a 2016 Montana . Help !! Any one have a source ?
Jeremy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy888 View Post
... This means a guy like is me who has been repairing his own RV for 25 years has zero help after spending 58,000$ on a 2016 Montana . Help !! Any one have a source ?
If you do find a set of wiring, plumbing or HVAC schematics/blueprints on a Keystone RV, you can "make a mint" by publishing them. To the best of my knowledge, that information has never been made public by Keystone. A few manufacturers do make that info available, but most don't.

I share your frustration, but from what I understand, even the dealerships can't get access to a complete set of electrical, plumbing and HVAC plans. Every year fewer and fewer RV manufacturers are providing schematics and plans for their products.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-31-2017, 02:39 PM   #13
Myk

Quote:

I get an error 404 when I try the link.
Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
I get an error 404 when I try the link.
Go to www.keystoneRV.com, click on OWNERS tab at the top of the page, then click on "OWNERS MANUAL" (next to RECALLS & NOTIFICATIONS) about 1/3 down the page. When that new page opens, select the applicable owner's manual edition you want to download. The second tab, Revision 4/01/2017, is the most recent version as far as I know.

While you're there, click on the RECALLS & NOTIFICATIONS tab to check for any current recalls or notices about your particular unit.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-31-2017, 04:33 PM   #15
Jeremy888

Thank you to all who replied .. I will make do ...
Jeremy888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy888 View Post
Thank you to all who replied .. I will make do ...
That's pretty much what the rest of the "half million new RV purchasers" will do in 2017. Add them to those of us with trailers from 2010 to 2016, and you're in a "select group" of nearly 4 million RV owners, all of which "make do"..... Enjoy your trailer and don't let the small stuff get you down. There's a "whole big world out there, just waiting for you to explore" !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #17
Myk

Quote:
Go to www.keystoneRV.com, click on OWNERS tab at the top of the page, then click on "OWNERS MANUAL" (next to RECALLS & NOTIFICATIONS) about 1/3 down the page. When that new page opens, select the applicable owner's manual edition you want to download. The second tab, Revision 4/01/2017, is the most recent version as far as I know.

While you're there, click on the RECALLS & NOTIFICATIONS tab to check for any current recalls or notices about your particular unit.
Thanks. Found it.
Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #18
polee7

Check out a U-tube video link from Ray of "Love Your RV". He has great maintenance tips, upgrade information and product reviews. He's a DIYer that blogs and videos all things concerning his Cougar 5er.
polee7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance