Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
airforceret

2016 Travels - Salt Lake City to Empire Colorado

We pretty much have our route laid out for next year. From the locks at Sault St Marie Michigan, to Butte Montana, down to Salt Lake City and over to Reno is our outbound.

Coming back we plan to drop off I80 outside of Salt Lake City and take Hwy 40 all the way back to where it meets up with I70 at Empire, Colorado.

I know there are some switchbacks north of Empire, but other than that any suggestions or pitfalls to be aware of? We won't be towing doubles, just the Cougar at 33ft for this trip.

I know weather can be an issue even though we are traveling in early to mid June.

Thanks Roger
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
hankaye

airforceret, Howdy;

Very ambitious travel plan for the return trip.
Have a brother that lived and worked at the Winter Park
Resort for 20 or so years. His nickname for the place is
"The Never Summer Ranch". He now lives in Coco Beach, Fl.

You will be traveling through the heart of the Rockies, more
then a few high gradient areas (up as well as down).
Even though the National road way is highlighted in the
Commercial Driver's edition of a Rand-McNalley that doesn't
show the section between Empire and Winter Park, 47 miles
of non highlighted road where they do not allow regular trucking
activity. Something to consider.

I've not been up there myself, but even Google Earth recommends
jumping off of 40 at Kremmling and taking Rout 9 South to I-70 at
Silverthorne, Co. Then you are running in a Valley of sorts. Similar
to driving with the rows in a corn field as opposed to across the rows
like you would if you stay on 40.

Just my opinion and thoughts ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
gkainz

2016 Travels - Salt Lake City to Empire Colorado

I've been across US 40 a bunch on hunting trips and RV trips with a 28' class C flat towing a jeep, and more recently my 25' 5th wheel and Dodge Ram 2500. It's not a bad road in my opinion, but I've spent my whole life towing in the mountains. My mother in law and her husband came down that same route last month in a 36' class A gasser and Honda Accord toad without issue and they're flat landers.
However, winter is unpredictable in the Rockies, so plan accordingly. Watch the weather, have chains and know how to install them and drive with them, or be prepared to wait out a storm. Berthoud Pass from Winter Park to I-70 has steep parts, more on the south side, but is mostly 3 or 4 lane and very good road. Use the slow lanes, pay attention to the recommended speeds and you should be fine.

Do NOT get suckered into taking CO 9 from Kremmling to Silverthorne - it's got a big chunk of highway under construction for the foreseeable future.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We just did that trip this summer. We stayed in Steamboat Springs for a few days, then pulled Rabbit Ears Pass to Kremmling, took 9 south to Silverthorne and I-70 through the tunnel to Denver. There is about a 7 mile section of construction on 9. The entire roadway is gravel/dirt as they rebuild from the ground up. It was slow, probably an hour for the entire construction area. The remaining part of 9 is a good road with no problems towing. You'll enjoy that route.

As for the current conditions on 40 from Winter Park, over Berthoud Pass to Berthoud Falls, I can't give you any recommendations. As I understand it, the road is "much improved and wider" than it was in the early 70's. We pulled a 20' Jayco over Berthoud Pass many times "back then" with no problems. It was a "most scenic route" back then and I'm sure it's still "breath-taking", but unfortunately, we elected to travel 9 through the valley rather than take 40 over the pass. From Berthoud Falls to I-70 is an easy route. There are few services from Winter Park all the way to Empire, so be sure to fill up with the "expensive diesel in Winter Park"... Either route will be "do-able", it's more a matter of whether you want to go over Berthoud or around it on 9.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:44 AM   #5
hankaye

airforceret, Howdy;

My thoughts (above), are just thoughts, below is local knowledge,
a truly usable source. I'd also contact Co. Dept. of Trans. about things
that were mentioned such as chains, and any construction projects
that may be along your route. Being aware of alternate routes is also
beneficial for those "oops, what do I do now" moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkainz View Post
I've been across US 40 a bunch on hunting trips and RV trips with a 28' class C flat towing a jeep, and more recently my 25' 5th wheel and Dodge Ram 2500. It's not a bad road in my opinion, but I've spent my whole life towing in the mountains. My mother in law and her husband came down that same route last month in a 36' class A gasser and Honda Accord toad without issue and they're flat landers.
However, winter is unpredictable in the Rockies, so plan accordingly. Watch the weather, have chains and know how to install them and drive with them, or be prepared to wait out a storm. Berthoud Pass from Winter Park to I-70 has steep parts, more on the south side, but is mostly 3 or 4 lane and very good road. Use the slow lanes, pay attention to the recommended speeds and you should be fine.

Do NOT get suckered into taking CO 9 from Kremmling to Silverthorne - it's got a big chunk of highway under construction for the foreseeable future.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
airforceret, Howdy;

My thoughts (above), are just thoughts, below is local knowledge,
a truly usable source. I'd also contact Co. Dept. of Trans. about things
that were mentioned such as chains, and any construction projects
that may be along your route. Being aware of alternate routes is also
beneficial for those "oops, what do I do now" moments.
hankaye
Don't be This guy

That was a nice looking Montana.

-Brian
Old 10-03-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
bsmith0404

Personally haven't gone that route, but I have taken 6 down to 70 and across. That's a nice drive as well and you're not far from Moab which has some beautiful things to see as well.

Personal opinion on the chains, don't bother. Yes you could run into weather at anytime of the year, but I would wait it out. If you put chains on your TV due to a storm, you would also need to put them on the trailer. That's a very good way to tear some stuff up if a chain comes loose. Better off waiting it out. Chances of bad weather in mid June are slim, but if it does happen, if doesn't last long. Pull over, turn on the heat and relax.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
airforceret

Thanks for the input. I do have mountain experience in the Rockies so that will be a big benefit and I do respect the signage and speed limits. I've witnessed more than my fair share of accidents in my years of travel to and from the western states over the mountains.

I also understand the unpredictable weather and am familiar with COT webcams and highway info which can be quite helpful.

If weather is an issue I don't do chains... I've got heat and plenty of food to wait it out! We've waited out storms and that time of year is usually not more than a day or so.

Our trips are about the view not a rush to our destination!

As for Moab, that has been a destination for us for many years. We've jeeped, ATVed, mountain biked, and hiked there! Not many trails we've not seen or done there! Awesome place no doubt!

We considered running down Rt 9 but prefer running 40 to Empire for the view. Our biggest concern was if there were any posted length or height restrictions we may not have been aware of otherwise I think we are good to go then! Thanks again...

BTW - As for the grades, do you know what the steepest grade might be? We've done numerous 6% and 7%, and a couple 8% but I think that's about it for "posted" grades we've encountered. I swear some must have been 9 or 10%.

<John> You mentioned fuel. Are you running your stock fuel tank? I've got a transfer flow 61 gallon replacement tank beneath the bed between the frame rails.

<Weather> Waited out the snow this past May on top of Vail Pass pulling doubles to Moab after getting caught up in a sleet storm coming out of Eisenhower! I'm doing 25 with the flashers and couldn't believe those flying past me!!! Insane...

Roger
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

airforceret,

I've settled on keeping the 26 gallon "OEM" tank. I haven't had any problems managing to find fuel well before any "crisis fuel shortage" occurred. With 61 gallons, you can easily make it from Steamboat Springs to Empire. We had planned to stay on 40 all the way to Empire this summer, but while eating lunch in Kremmling, we heard about some activities in Silverthorne that my DW wanted to check out, so we decided to "endure" the construction and spend some time in Silverthorne. The construction zone wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated. It was just "slow going" on gravel for about 7 miles, otherwise, 9 was not a problem at all.

As for 40, you won't have any issues towing over Berthoud Pass. As I said initially, we regularly towed a 20' Jayco with a 3/4 ton Dodge 2WD (gas 360cuin) in the 70's. Everyone I've talked to has said that all of the "narrow 2 lane sections" have been widened to 2 or 3 lanes and some 4 lane areas and that most of the "hairpin turns" have been rebuilt for much easier travel.

If I were you, I'd consider it to be no more difficult than either approach to Eisenhower tunnel, just 2 lanes rather than 4,5 or 6...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote