Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #21
Controller23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You know, having watched you work thru your "issues" with an overloaded Tacoma, then getting the Silverado 1/2 ton and not wanting a wdh to tow a 5400 (memory) lb. trailer (all from a lack of knowledge/experience)....and lots of folks trying to help, inform and guide you - all with good intentions....and they are "weight ****"?? That sure seems like a very derogatory term to use for helpful folks. Also sounds like you have a lot of resentment in your short time here. As you alluded to, maybe the "****" (in your opinion) are only "here" as you stated and you would be more comfortable "somewhere else"?

Trying to malign members for trying to help another member who might not have a clue about a possible problem is not beneficial IMO, nor is it warranted. Nor do your previous posts show that you would have any expertise to guide the OP. Just some thoughts as I read your harsh post and something you might want to "mull" over.

He didn’t ask if he had a problem. Every thread anywhere on this forum you see the the same people chiming in with essentially “you’re towing too much, think of the children!”

Someone could come here towing a little rowboat trailer with a semi truck and someone would say it’s overweight.
Controller23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnftravel View Post
Thanks for that,, forgot about propane tanks. We are still way under the 5500 lbs rating on our truck so I think we’re ok.
Should we decide on more weight with extra baggage we will keep that in mind.
Thanks

As a "weight police" (I guess) and controller23 termed anyone worried about weights, I would just make an observation on your above comment.

Your stated "tow rating of 5500 lbs." is literally meaningless - manufacturers use those as a way make folks think they are getting a "towing monster" but in reality the other numbers usually make the tow rating irrelevant. You have other weights that mean far more. Look at the weights displayed inside the driver door on the stickers. Look at THOSE numbers to know where you are.

Having owned a 2017 Explorer just like yours I can only imagine the terror you must experience with the trailer behind you. The vehicle wasn't, and isn't, meant as a towing platform. 2 suitcases, 2 people and an ice chest change the handling - I would never dream of putting an RV behind one. JMO/YMMV obviously.

BTW that is a 5400lb. trailer, 3736 dry so figure that 648lbs. + 100 for WDH + 100 for LP and battery then see what's left. That will be where you, the family and everything else has to fit when deducted from the payload.

You may or may not know the above but you should know them, and try to keep within them, to keep you and yours safe. Sorry I'm a so called "weight police".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controller23 View Post
He didn’t ask if he had a problem. Every thread anywhere on this forum you see the the same people chiming in with essentially “you’re towing too much, think of the children!”

Someone could come here towing a little rowboat trailer with a semi truck and someone would say it’s overweight.

Here's the deal; you didn't study up, you bought too big with too little, you came here and at least listened and bought a 1/2 ton but didn't want to equip it correctly; I assume due to ignorance. Now, apparently, you are p***ed for some reason at me or the other "****". Enough IMO.

The OP didn't ask if he had a problem....? If you see a guy driving down the road with a 10k trailer on the back and a tire almost flat do you ignore it....because he didn't ask? If you see a child riding a bicycle in the middle of busy street do you ignore it because he/she didn't ask? I've pulled truck drivers over with tires on fire on their 18 wheeler and they didn't ask. I've visited with other campers when it was obvious to me that they had an issue with this or that...90% are usually unaware and appreciate it. Some, like you obviously, have a problem then try to blame everyone else. Oh, someone worries about a member being overweight and the welfare of their children....that's a bad thing to you??

Your exaggerations of folks that try to help with weights are not only incorrect and silly, but pretty much seem childish to me.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #24
Javi

My sainted old daddy used to say... "son you just can't help folks that are too stupid to know that they are stupid"
Old 03-18-2019, 05:11 PM   #25
ADQ K9

[QUOTE=Javi;331585]My sainted old daddy used to say... "son you just can't help folks that are too stupid to know that they are stupid"[/QUOTE
Or what comedian Ron White said 'You can't fix stupid."
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:31 PM   #26
Bnftravel

Stop this nonsense

Ok now everyone needs to take it down a notch.!!!
This is my post, I was just checking in and was trying to share our information.
Either stop pissing on each other or get off my post!
If this continues I WILL delete this whole thing and leave this forum undifinatly.
You all sound like a bunch of children.
Please stop.
Bnftravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:

This is my post, I was just checking in and was trying to share our information.

If this continues I WILL delete this whole thing and leave this forum undifinatly.

Please stop.

I guess I’m maybe the one that started the mess. I am a bonafide member of the weight “POLICE” and my original post was only meant to ask if you were aware of your weights. We all have to navigate the highways together and make it to our campsites safe and sound. I never suggested you were “over gross” and some members think that that’s all we do. If I offended you, I publicly apologize, I truly wish you and everybody else a safe and enjoyable time with your RV. Stick around, you’ll see that we really are a bunch of fun loving people that welcome new members to the lifestyle know as RVing.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #28
Bnftravel

Actually it’s 3736 dry weight. It has a payload capacity of 1664. We never run full and tanks are always empty. We actually have been using this vehicle for 2 years since we purchased it new from the dealer.
We did our research with the Ford dealer and our Rv dealer before we purchased.
Easy tow and handles great with the wdh installed. We also installed Airlift airbags and am super happy.
Yes there are op who overweight the tow vehicles and that’s very dangerous.
Thanks for I your concern but we have done our due diligence.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #29
Bnftravel

Yes we did our due diligence before we purchased either.
Please see my lower posts.
Thanks
Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 PM   #30
Bnftravel

I’m not stupid and have done all the background on both the truck and camper before we purchased it.
We have been camping for some years now and just new to THIS site

P.S. Some here must have us confused with someone else. Please check your facts first before posting.
Thanks and Happy Camping!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:27 PM   #31
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Please stop.

Easy, easy. You started the thread, it invites posts. The information you provided will provoke comments. This in an internet forum so you must know that they are going to come.

You posted information that, to any knowledgeable tower, would seem suspect so you have to know that you might get some comments on that (I suspect you have no idea). With a dry weight of something like 3763 you WILL NOT be traveling with a trailer at "4000 lbs. full", period. That is a red flag - and you need to heed the advice.

I know you are excited about your trailer and upcoming adventures. YOU have to make sure you are doing it right - by the book, and IMO especially, Especially if you are trying to tow with an Explorer (owned one...remember?). Just all info for your well being.

A diversion in the thread occurred...it has been resolved. You can't delete a thread but you can make a decision to stay or go. It is a great site with more helpful members than you will find on any comparable site in my experience - it is 100% your choice.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 AM   #32
busterbrown

I once towed my 3000 lb 12 ft length cargo trailer (loaded) cross country with a midsize GMT platform truck (Buick Rainier/GMC Envoy/CHevy Trailblazer). It was equipped with a tow package and 3.73 rear. Rated to tow 5700 lbs. Thought it would be easy. After 2300 miles, I vouged I wouldn't do that again. I have no idea how automotive engineering departments determine their vehicle tow ratings. Couldn't even imagine puting another 1000+ lbs or 12 feet of trailer behind that vehicle. However, it was a great SUV. Reliable, comfortable, and the perfect mall crawler. I have friend who owns a current model year Explorer and says the same.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:59 AM   #33
Northofu1

from Toronto

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:51 AM   #34
Bnftravel

Thanks for that, will keep it in mind.
Old 03-19-2019, 04:57 AM   #35
Bnftravel

Thank you for that. We actually did a bit of research before buying the TT, We also installed Airlift spring bags as an extra SAFETY precaution and try to always be safe.
Getting blasted from all angles before knowing what WE actually have is what started it all.
Thanks for the apology, No harm no Foul. Happy Camping!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #36
Bnftravel

Thanks from Ky!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:31 PM   #37
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you for that. We actually did a bit of research before buying the TT, We also installed Airlift spring bags as an extra SAFETY precaution and try to always be safe.
Getting blasted from all angles before knowing what WE actually have is what started it all.
Thanks for the apology, No harm no Foul. Happy Camping!

Bob, please accept my apologies if in any way you thought I was "blasting" you. You have a very questionable towing setup so I wanted to point that out. Many have that situation and have no idea. You apparently have an idea of the issues/problems you face with your combo and you're happy with that. In that event, good luck to you. I would load everything for travel, take it to a scale and compare it to the numbers on the sticker inside your door. Having the RV salesman and car dealer assure you you are OK is like letting someone pull the pin on a grenade, put it in your pocket, putting you and the family in the car and then tell you it's all "OK". Check those numbers on the Explorer with the trailer .
Old 03-20-2019, 07:18 AM   #38
WSCY

Congratulations. We just bought our first. Welacome to the forum from North Texas
WSCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #39
Gord

Congrats and welcome to the forum from Sechelt, British Columbia.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:20 AM   #40
Rqueen

Welcome to the forum! I have a 2070bh and really like it. Bought it last year and hope to really start using it this year. How do you like the camper? Safe and happy travels!
Rqueen is offline   Reply With Quote