Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Matt, that's a shame. Hard to figure. Does Ford make a hitch that they can install? Might be a little more expensive but at least you have someone to fall back on unlike Curt apparently.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #42
flybouy
Site Team

I had a factory hitch on a Dodge truck back in the 1980's that looked much like that. Was going to weld it, took a disk grinder to it and chunks of paint flaked off. Turned out the paint didn't adhere properly. The paint cracked at the corners and began to surface rust at the corners giving an appearance of metal fatigue. Cleaned it up, hit it with rustoleum and it was good for the next few years that I had it.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #43
waltheraustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I had a factory hitch on a Dodge truck back in the 1980's that looked much like that. Was going to weld it, took a disk grinder to it and chunks of paint flaked off. Turned out the paint didn't adhere properly. The paint cracked at the corners and began to surface rust at the corners giving an appearance of metal fatigue. Cleaned it up, hit it with rustoleum and it was good for the next few years that I had it.
That's what I did the second time which I thought was just paint. This time I'm sure it's the metal. I'll definitely keep hitting with the wire brush but I don't have a good feeling at all.

Going to check in with Ford, I've had good luck with OEM in the past. I've asked Curt to refund but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks guys.
waltheraustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:35 PM   #44
waltheraustin

I'm gonna check with them next week. I'm sure their hitch will be solid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Matt, that's a shame. Hard to figure. Does Ford make a hitch that they can install? Might be a little more expensive but at least you have someone to fall back on unlike Curt apparently.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:10 AM   #45
Washedman

It appears you may have a side thrust issue judging from the location and path of the cracks. I can't think of anything that could cause that unless in turns something is binding your ball, or you ball adapter is way long. Weird.
Washedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:56 AM   #46
waltheraustin

I have the 1400lb equilizer on the way. Hopefully that helps. This new Curt receiver has a tiny crack in it now so I'm debating going with it and the new heavier hitch to see if those issues disappear. The way home didn't break it anymore so I'm torn on what to do on the receiver especially if the new eq 4pt 1400 fixes the issue.

What are y'alls thoughts?
Old 05-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #47
waltheraustin

Here's a pic of it right nowClick image for larger version

Name:	20180505_130808.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	16340
Old 05-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #48
waltheraustin

Thinking that since the collar sticks out over the tube a smidge, what if I take the metal down where it's flush with the tube. Thoughts? Crazy?

Tags
hideout