Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2017, 05:13 AM   #1
Sulphur1

Aluminium Folding Entry Steps

I need to change the Lippert entry steps of our 2011 Keystone Cougar to a 4 step one after raising it to be level with the higher Chevy 2500HD.
Can anyone comment on the stability of the new lightweight aluminium one available such as Hickory? (eTrailer suggests Hickory has larger linkages).
Appreciate your comment.
Cheers
Jon
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:36 AM   #2
Dave W

Why not look at Lippert's Solid Steps(~$360) or MORryde's Step Above(~$330). Then there is the TorkLift Glow Step(~$590) which fits in the same place as the original and is also 4 step. I installed the Lippert assembly about a month ago and have to say that it is a perfect addition for my wife and her bad back. There's a thread here of why I did what I did (last 2-3 posts on the thread) : http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=29952&page=2
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:20 AM   #3
MerlinB

I installed the Torklift Glow Steps on my Cougar and I have been very happy with them. They are rock solid and very stable. The top step has three adjustable positions and the bottom has five adjustable positions. Yeah, they are more expensive than the other two but to me it was worth it. I just couldn't get over the idea of folding my dirty steps up inside of my trailer. But, that's just me. YMMV>
2007.5 Ram 3500 DRW
MerlinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:38 AM   #4
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinB View Post
. ....... I just couldn't get over the idea of folding my dirty steps up inside of my trailer. But, that's just me. YMMV>
We have just 'done' 5 weeks and 2500 miles, including during heavy rains with muddy CGs and sandy sites. All it takes to wipe anything off the Lippert or MORryde steps is a quick swipe with a hand and/or paper towel or broom if you are adverse to any dirt on your hands. The real main deterrents with drawbridge step is tight space or quick in and out RV entry, neither of which was any problem for us even on many interstate rest stops. 200 more bucks in my pocket is 4-6 CG nights or 3 fill ups for my truck
Old 10-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
gregm2k

Great timing...just got an email from Trailer Life magazine with highlights of some articles. Has an article/how-to on the moryde aluminum steps. Look easy to install. You may want to check it out.

-- 2017 Cougar 327RLK
-- 2017 F-250 4x4 6.7L
gregm2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:11 PM   #6
Whitewolf

I can see that this is going to be a Chevy-Dodge-Ford discussion. Personal preferences.
For me and my wife, next year I'll be installing Torklift.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:51 AM   #7
Sulphur1

Many thanks for your comments.
I also want to install some in a door in the slideout. It's partially above one of the wheels so the Lippert /Step above looks the go. Any install issues with the screen door?
Old 10-24-2017, 04:01 AM   #8
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphur1 View Post
Many thanks for your comments.
I also want to install some in a door in the slideout. It's partially above one of the wheels so the Lippert /Step above looks the go. Any install issues with the screen door?
No issues unless you have a screen protector - unfortunately any commercial version wont quite fit due to where the latch is installed. For ours, I'm making up a protector from 1/2" opening hardware screening
Old 10-27-2017, 03:56 AM   #9
Sulphur1

Thanks Dave W, be interested in a pic if it works out.
Cheers, Jon
Old 10-27-2017, 06:18 AM   #10
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphur1 View Post
Thanks Dave W, be interested in a pic if it works out.
Cheers, Jon
I needed to take some of the final install, so just did. The latch photo also shows my reinforcing (kinda) and the hinge shows a size larger screw arrangement over the square head sheet metal versions what Lippert supplied. I used their screws initially as they are self drilling but replace them with standard wood screws from Home Depot - and they appear to hold more solidly. We have about 2000 miles on these steps and nary a problem,. trailer so far seems to be the only retailer. The order came from near St Louis to Upstate NY in about 5-6 days via UPS (the lady UPS driver wasn't impressed by their weightand size)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8559.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	14436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8552.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	14437   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8557.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	14438   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8556.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	14439   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8558.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	14440  

Old 11-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #11
Sulphur1

Many thanks for the pics Dave W, especially the floor mount.
Cheers Jon