Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 01:47 AM   #41
busterbrown

Our trip is quickly approaching and I need help planning the westbound driving leg from Amorillo, TX into the Pheonix area. This distance will take us 2 days. The two options I'm routing are:

1. continue on I-40 west until the Petrified Forest NP, then southwest on AZ-277/260 towards Payson, and finally south on US-87

or

2. From Amarillo, head south on US60/US70 towards the Whitesands National Monument and continuing on to I-10 west into Phoenix.

The 2nd option lets us explore White Sands but adds an additional 1.5 hours on the commute. The 1st option gets us into the Petrified Forest. But from what I remember when I drove this route 10 years ago, it was very demanding from Holbrook all the way into Phoenix. Then, I was driving a rental truck towing a car on a dolly. Looking for the easier drive into Phoenix as this will be a very long driving day. The kids would probably prefer the break to sled the White Sands.

Opinions on both routes are appreciated.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #42
JRTJH
Site Team

Albuquerque in April (maybe a new song title) can be very "iffy". At elevation, I-40 may be snow/ice driving conditions. I-10 is further south and less likely to have those conditions. As for Amarillo, that's the only place on earth where you can stand knee deep in mud, face into a dust storm with rain on your left shoulder and snow on your right shoulder while a tornado approaches behind you and your head gets sunburned.... Enjoy the weather in Amarillo, it'll definitely be what you prefer during your stay, even if it's only 15 minutes to pass through town.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

If you're doing the trip in April skip the northern route. You are going to go through a lot of mountainous country with very iffy weather. It's prettier but that's a late May/June and later trip to me. Plus, the petrified national forest isn't much IMO. The best part to me is the little dinosaurs they put up along the highway.

From Amarillo you could take I40 to Santa Rosa then drop S on 54 all the way to Alamogordo and White Sands. Or, drop S on I27 from Amarillo to Canyon then hit 60 to Vaughn then 54 to Alamo. The lower route will take you through Ft. Sumner with Billy the Kid's grave and the Billy the Kid museum if that is of interest. 54 is a good highway that stays in the bottom between the mountains. Sort of scenic but nothing in the way of driving difficulties - I drive it all the time. Just keep in mind that the TX panhandle can have some really weird weather but that is the nature of that beast - you should be OK though.

I think of those options my preference would be the southerly route through Canyon and then W.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM   #44
travelin texans

Totally agree with Sourdough! Take 54, I40 west in spring west of Albuquerque can be brutal as well as through the mountains north of Phoenix, especially this year, have had record breaking snow fall & it ain't over yet.
That route, 54-70, will bring you to I10 in Las Cruces NM missing El Paso which is another plus.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #45
busterbrown

Thanks to the Danny's and John.

Looking at your suggestions, I think Amarillo to Canyon to Vaughn (via 60) is our best bet. May even stop to see Billy's tombstone. Planning routes too far out this early in the spring is my biggest hiccup. I think I'm safer to plan for the most southerly legs. Indianapolis, St. Louis, Oklahoma City, and Amarillo are all forecasting favorable weather for the next 10 days. We leave in 11 days.

Coming back from Utah is going to be a little more daunting. We'll have to deal with the Rockies and I-70. Should be interesting.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 PM   #46
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Thanks to the Danny's and John.

Looking at your suggestions, I think Amarillo to Canyon to Vaughn (via 60) is our best bet. May even stop to see Billy's tombstone. Planning routes too far out this early in the spring is my biggest hiccup. I think I'm safer to plan for the most southerly legs. Indianapolis, St. Louis, Oklahoma City, and Amarillo are all forecasting favorable weather for the next 10 days. We leave in 11 days.

Coming back from Utah is going to be a little more daunting. We'll have to deal with the Rockies and I-70. Should be interesting.

Well.....if you have an overnite stay in Amarillo try out the Big Texan steak ranch. Been there many times....good steaks and the place is really quite interesting. They are the home of the "free" 72 oz. steak. After a merger we were flying around my territory and spent the night in Amarillo and the new team wanted to try the Big Texan. Fellow from back east (not being detrimental - he didn't know slabs of meat) decided to try the "free" 72oz steak (you have to eat it all and sides). Ordered it "well done"...... Think about it; a 6lb. steak sitting on an open fire cooked to "well done".....
Well, we (the other folks) grabbed our beers and watched the pitmaster try to manage a 6lb slab of steak over a very hot fire but not burn it. After what seemed like at least an hour or more (and a handfull of brews) it was done. Then, it was delivered to our "compadre"...sitting at a table and chair, on a stage, in spotlights, with 2 levels of patrons watching/eating. The MC came up, mic in hand, assistant by his side as he reiterated the rules. Our companion, did I mention he was not used to this stuff...and was awfully skinny, again nodded and the clock was started; along with the play by play....the crowd watching from the decks, us on the floor in front cheering him on.....OHHH it was glorious!! But then, WHAT? He probably had about 60 oz. of the 72 left, the shrimp cocktail was untouched...and that beautiful roll? Just left there...in the dust; he threw up his hands in defeat!!! So sad. Oh well, I've got great pictures of the new CEO in the huge rocking chair inside while I enjoyed another brew!!! And, you might even catch the cloggers on whatever night they "clog".
Old 03-12-2019, 01:43 AM   #47
busterbrown

72 ounces of steak isn't even fathomable. I once attempted an all-you-can eat prime-rib dinner in Breckenridge while on a ski trip with some buddies. We all sat down and ordered that dinner. Well, I was determined to get my money's worth (impressing the guys was an afterthought).

They brought out 8 ounce slices, 1 cut at a time. You had to finish each slice before they would bring you another. Most of my friends got through 2, maybe a third. I was determined to push through a fourth cut. Nearly 32 ounces over about 2 hours was a feat. I couldn't eat another bite. All I remember was the abdominal pains I had for the next 24 hours. And the porcelain toilet bowl I sat on. Missed out on a whole day of skiing on that Denver trip. Now, I'm a lightweight. A good 10 ounce fillet mignon is my limit.

Don't know if the Big Texan Steakhouse is on our agenda. But maybe. For sure I won't be ordering the "6lb Big Texan". Probably wouldn't order the prime rib either. Lol.

Nontheless, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #48
busterbrown

Planning our return eastbound...

I'm in need of suggestions for the return leg of our southwest travels. After a quick visit to the Four Corners Monument and up to the Canyons of the Ancient National Monument, our last national park destination will be Mesa Verde NP. From here, we begin our long journey home to Michigan. I'm trying to avoid the northern trek on I-70 as we're coming back around April 20th. Weather is so unpredictable.

What options along Colorado's southern border or northern NM will make our commute home uneventful? From Mesa Verde, Google routes me on east US160 until joining I-25.

Towing the camper down to I-40 is also an viable but it adds a ton a miles.

Suggestions from anyone who knows the landscape is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #49
Steve/

I would not worry about using I 70 in late April. If you did have problem on I 70, you will have problems on US 160. Right now we have over 150% of normal snowpack in the south mountains.
I guess you know that the campgrounds at Mesa Verde NP are planning to open April 18. That could be delayed by the heavelsnow fall we have had. If that happen the tour to the cliff houses would also not happen. It is worth taking one of them
All that said I would have a backup plan to skip Mesa Verde NP base on weather. You would not know until the week before. It is a great park, so plan on going.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #50
gearhead

Yeah the 160 area can get a lot of snow. Me and a friend took our wives on a vacation to Pagosa Springs on spring break back in the '80's. It was really a scouting trip for elk hunting. The highways were open but nothing else. A Dodge K car rental wasn't much of a snowplow.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #51
LHaven

Quote:
Don't know if the Big Texan Steakhouse is on our agenda. But maybe. For sure I won't be ordering the "6lb Big Texan". Probably wouldn't order the prime rib either. Lol.
The BBQ entrees there are first rate, and the decor is worth some photography, especially the waitstaff costumes.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:54 PM   #52
sourdough
Site Team

Chris, I worked for quite a while writing you a detailed route based on my thoughts but apparently the site is having some sort of hiccups. It lost it along with my ability to respond to anything for several minutes. I will recompose in the AM….DW told me I need to get off here and make a corn salad......
Old 03-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #53
Canonman

Just a suggestion if you have or can justify an extra day, Mesa Verdi is mostly surrounded by the Ute Mountain Tribal Park. Absolutely one of the most interesting tours I've ever taken. National Geographic did an article on the park: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...park-traveler/
You'll see what Mesa Verdi looked like when the Wetherill brothers found it. Mesa Verdi is a "Must See" The Ute Mountain Tribal Park is a "DEFINITE must see".
Pottery shards, old corn cobs, pieces of sandals all left in place with no reconstruction or sanitization. Ask if Rick is still guiding the tours. So much real Indian history, religion and mysticism. You really don't want to miss this off the beaten path tour.
BTW, Hovenweep Natl Monument is close by too if unique Native American Indian culture interests you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5082.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	20783   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5310.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	20784   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5025.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	20785   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5119.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	20786  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 AM   #54
notanlines

Chris, we also recommend the more southerly route out of Amarillo. And we also recommend The Big Texan in a big way. The steaks are very good, and it is fun just reading about the various people who have succeeded in one, two, even three of the meals in the allotted time. Four years ago we came through the last of April and the waiter told us of the woman who had eaten three the week before and broke all their records. We were certain he was handing us a line trying to get one of us to give it a try. I found this on Google when we returned home a few weeks later: https://kfor.com/2015/04/23/watch-wo...-minutes-flat/
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I'm in need of suggestions for the return leg of our southwest travels. After a quick visit to the Four Corners Monument and up to the Canyons of the Ancient National Monument, our last national park destination will be Mesa Verde NP. From here, we begin our long journey home to Michigan. I'm trying to avoid the northern trek on I-70 as we're coming back around April 20th. Weather is so unpredictable.

What options along Colorado's southern border or northern NM will make our commute home uneventful? From Mesa Verde, Google routes me on east US160 until joining I-25.

Towing the camper down to I-40 is also an viable but it adds a ton a miles.

Suggestions from anyone who knows the landscape is greatly appreciated.

I'll try this again. Probably not as long since I have to leave in a few minutes to take puppy to the vet.

I wouldn't consider 160 at the date you're planning. 160 crosses Wolf Creek Pass. I've driven that route countless times and there can be snow there in July. I took my grandgirls up there in mid June one year with a picture of them standing at the pass sign in knee deep snow - also watched a guy coming down from the pass on the twisty highway lose control and just run into the rock side of the mountain due to the slickness.

I'm thinking from Mesa Verde take 160 thru Durango to 550 S. Take that to Bloomfield then 64 E to Chama. At Chama you will will be in the mountains and then have to cross them to get to Antonito on 17. Take 285 N to Alamosa then you can either go N on 17 until you reconnect with 285, go W on 285/160 and continue on 285 or go E on 160 until you connect to I25. 285 in the other routes will eventually get you to I70 to Denver and the I76 on E - I25 will do the same.

Remember this can be some very treacherous country in the winter time and you will still be going thru mountains of varying degrees but nothing like 160 would be. You would do well to watch the weather real time and see what's going on in the event you need to reroute. As a last alternative I would just go S on 550 to Farmington then on to 371 and go to I40. I will note that there is a very neat steam locomotive trip from Chama to Antonito that has some beautiful views if you are able to go that way and have time. Good luck and safe travels.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #56
busterbrown

Thanks again Steve, Danny, and Jim. I'll definitely keep an eye on the I-70 corridor. If nothing threatening mid April, this will be our first choice. I will heed everyone's advice and stay clear away from 160. If the weather is against us, we'll travel south via 491 or 371 to connect to I-40. Better safe than sorry.

Brian, our itinerary for the last week is very open. We'll be in the Mesa Verde area for a couple of days. The tours for the Ute Mountain Tribal Park start in April so it may work for us. Seems as if you've already done much of what we're currently chasing. If you don't min, I may PM you (as we go north from Arizona into UT) for additional suggestions and helpful insights. I'm excited as always to plan.

With all the chatter about this Big Texan, I think we'll most definitely have to pay a visit for an early dinner.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #57
busterbrown

BTW, this just came up in my new feed....

I showed my wife it and told her don't worry, that was a "once in a century" Texas wind storm. Right? lol