Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #21
Phil Saran

I live in Colorado and my truck is garaged, but I still do run anti-gel additive to
my fuel in the winter and add a cleaner in the summer.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #22
packnrat

change oil as required. twice a year...more?
some say a thinner oil for cold starts in the winter.

but how do you drive? lots of short hops? long hrs on the open rd? idling a LOT?
avg temp where you plan to be? over night lows?time of day you plan on starting the motor (if every - most days thing).
if cold enough the fuel mix changes to a colder weather mix, (less gelling), so no worry's there.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:13 AM   #23
larryflew

Other than not having summer fuel in it when it gets cold I don't use additives. 2008 Duramax. I had some medical problems starting in October that ran through December. My wife used the truck in December - not cheap to get your gelling engine cleaned up.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:55 PM   #24
SR71 Jet Mech

Plenty cold here in NE but I use no additives until below zero. 5w-40 valvoline full synthetic year around. Always starts never had a problem. Fuel mileage is always down in winter due to “cut” fuel. 2-3 mpg. Not a daily driver either.

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:12 PM   #25
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
As cold as it's going to be the next few days I'd go fill up with #1.
Several years ago a guy at work was having problem gelling & kept dumping 911 in still gelled, I told to fill it with #1 till it warmed up.
I have always been told to never run with pure #1 in a tank. That it didn’t have enough lubricity (lubricants) or was “too refined” to run in a diesel engine. So, I’ve never done it, especially with #1 being more expensive than #2. I’ve never had a problem running #2 and an anti-gel additive, even with temps during the day getting up to -20 and the truck sitting all day outside. So, what don’t I know, I’m confused?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

I don't think there's anything about diesel fuel and cold weather that you're missing, Lynette. For almost all of us (there are always exceptions) the fuel available in the area where we're using it is "blended" for the temperatures typically experienced in those areas. Places where it never even gets frost on the pumpkin, diesel isn't "blended" with the same additives as diesel available in Minot, ND.

Where most (IMHO) get into "trouble" is having a truck that seldom gets used, so there's "summer blend" in the tank that was filled in August and gelled in January or the "thrifty soul" with a 80 gallon "in bed tank" in addition to the 40 gallon "truck tank"... Fill up in Houston, drive to St Louis, park overnight at Motel 6 (in -15F temps) and get up the next morning to a truck that won't start.

Those who buy fuel weekly (or even monthly) and keep their fuel filter changes "up to date" usually don't have a problem with gelled fuel.

I've got two 5 gallon "yellow jugs" of diesel for my tractor that sit in the pole barn. It was -25F last week and my tractor started without a problem and both of those "yellow jugs" were "normal diesel". I don't think that would be the situation if those jugs had been "left over from July's bush hogging diesel run.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote