Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Victortpatterson

IT ? Full time internet

My wife works remotely. She needs reliable full time internet access. I’m looking for something economically but I don’t want cheap as I think her employer will cover some of the cost. She does spread sheet and photoshop so we’re looking for good bandwidth.
Thanks for any help from you full timers.
Victortpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

What kind of situation are you in? Do you travel all over all the time or sit in one spot? When I stay for several months I have a personal broadband loop installed if I'm in a place that has the facilities and will allow it (we stay in developed parks if long term). After that, for us, it's iffy. There are folks on here that use all kinds of methods so I'm sure you'll get some good info.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
Victortpatterson

Out uses of internet

We plan on staying in one place for at most a week. We would like to use internet when we travel. As in driving. My wife could work on a laptop while I drive.
Victortpatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
Frank G

You need something like a Verizon Jet Pack, We use one all the time when on the road, Wife is a graphic designer. When parked look at your resources, I have a Time Warner (Spectrum) account and they have thousands of wifi access points around the country. You may also want to look into a Alfa Repeater specific for RV use.
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...9aACCEk&adurl=
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:23 PM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

The most comprehensive information I have found is at https://rvmobileinternet.com/featured

Some of the information is only available with a membership, but most of the information you need to get started is free.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

We have used a Verizon Jet Pak for years, had a AT&T "dongle" modem prior to that and have attempted several "subscriber WIFI systems". The Verizon Jet Pak has provided us the best service as far as widespread location support. We find very few locations where we can't connect to the internet.

That said, you mentioned wanting the ability for your wife to use the internet while you're driving.... If your intention is for her to have access to email or check for reservations, etc, then you can do that with a Verizon Jet Pak. If, however, you mean that she needs the capability to download or upload large files while in motion, I'm afraid you'll have a significant problem finding any system that will support that option. When moving, as you leave "one cell tower area" and enter the next, your signal is "dropped and picked up". We've found that will stop a download/upload and you'll need to start over with the communication.... We've found that any "bigger than about 0.5meg file it's best to stop and upload/download or just wait until we're parked for the evening to send all of that data.

If you start shopping for a system, be sure to ask the pointed question: If we are moving, leave one tower area and enter another, can we continue an existing upload/download or will it drop the data and force us to start again?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #7
travelin texans

Verizon Jet Pak also! Have used it coast to coast border to border for the last 10+ years without issue. Also have Verizon cell phones.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:53 PM   #8
KSH

Verizon mifi/jet pack. I have a wwan card built into my laptop so no dongle or hot spotting to deal with.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Jet-pack here too. I have also had some luck tethering the laptop to the cell phone (Verizon) but never tried it while moving and never with large files. I have not looked into it but you may want to wait a little while till 5G service is up and running.

While on the road truckstops like Pilot/FlyingJ have secure wi-fi accounts at reasonable rates so you can download/upload, fuel up, grab a bite to eat and just take a break from driving while the wife works. They are all over the country.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:33 PM   #10
justlkn

We full time and use the Verizon Jetpack prepaid. Unlimited data/no throttling and no caps for $65 a month using autopay. This is only offered on the prepaid side. You will have to buy your device from Verizon unless you have another then activate it. I bought the new 8800L Mifi from the Verizon store and had them activate on the spot. We use around 600gb a month and have download speeds pushing 70mb a second. Very happy with it so far.

2016 3500HD Silverado Duramax LTZ
2012 Keystone Avalanche 341TG (Sold)
justlkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:52 AM   #11
Pull Toy

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that IF, while camping, you use the "free Wi-Fi" provided by the park, you are on an unsecured access point. You may be subject to hacking and loss of privacy in your internet use. If you need privacy, you will need a personal hot spot.

If working on sensitive, or confidential stuff, that you don't want to share, always turn off your park Wi-Fi connection.

Good luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:15 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that IF, while camping, you use the "free Wi-Fi" provided by the park, you are on an unsecured access point. You may be subject to hacking and loss of privacy in your internet use. If you need privacy, you will need a personal hot spot.

If working on sensitive, or confidential stuff, that you don't want to share, always turn off your park Wi-Fi connection.

Good luck,

WiFi ranger has a built in firewall. So you could use the “free” WiFi from the park and be protected. And since the router/gateway is wireless, multiple devices inside the trailer can connect. I have installed several for customers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:02 AM   #13
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
... We've found that will stop a download/upload and you'll need to start over with the communication. ...
The Opera browser (and I believe Firefox) has the capability of restarting a download from the point it stopped without having to go back and start all over. All you need to do is check (or monitor) the download through the browser and hit the "play" button if the message indicates the download was interrupted.

Opera can be obtained here.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
The Opera browser (and I believe Firefox) has the capability of restarting a download from the point it stopped without having to go back and start all over. All you need to do is check (or monitor) the download through the browser and hit the "play" button if the message indicates the download was interrupted.

Opera can be obtained here.
The point I was making is that as you "pass through cell tower zones" any upload/download will likely be interrupted. Plan for that if the OP's DW will be transmitting via WIFI while in motion. Your solution is one means to accomplish that. Other ways exist, likely the most effective would be to stop when transmitting large files or wait to send/receive them after parked for the evening. Thanks for the link to Opera, it may help some who use systems and programs compatible with that software.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM   #15
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull Toy View Post

Good luck,
Most CG wi-fi that I have seen limit the bandwidth you can use and would stop large downloads/uploads.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote