Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
markcee

2nd A/C Add On

I am pre-wired for a ducted 13.5 BTU second (bedroom) A/C unit in my 2020 Cougar 1/2 ton 29RLKWE. The primary unit is a Dometic.

Any recommendations for unit #2, or should I/do I need to go, with Dometic? If Dometic, what would be the recommended model (was looking at Brisk II). Interested in something nice and quiet, provided it is fully functional with current setup.

FYI....I have the In-Command system. Will any appropriate unit be controllable via this system?

Thanks all and be safe!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I've never heard an RV AC that was "nice and quiet". Even the Whisper Quiet units make quite a bit of noise and even a ducted 2nd AC unit will still be pretty loud. How loud is the main AC?

As far as a 2nd AC I would keep the brands the same IMO. When I added a 2nd AC in my last trailer I went with the Dometic Penguin 13.5k. It was non ducted but they have ducted options as I recall. As far as InCommand I don't know. Is the existing thermostat a dual zone capable of adding the 2nd AC or does it require its own thermostat?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

I would agree with Danny. "Quiet" is a relative term. If you go to a large airport and stand by the fence 100 yards away from the end of the runway, then go stand at the end of the runway and note that it's "quieter" down by the fence. At least that's the analogy that comes to mind when I think of an AC unit in an RV.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #4
markcee

Thanks guys. I figured I wouldn't be able to get something really quiet, but wasn't sure and wanted to ask before I went with the Dometic...looking at the Brisk Air II, by the way.

The In-Command panel does have a 2nd A/C already listed. Assuming that would be added/configured as part of the installation?
Old 03-21-2020, 05:11 AM   #5
KRumm

Make sure you look at the curvature of the roof for the installation...
The low profile ACs tend to extent out the back and may not be suitable...

Here is a good thread on what you need to do an InCommand integration... Sadly the pics are no longer available...

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=38195
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 05:52 AM   #6
jhplak325

My 2019 Cougar 34TBS had a sticker with part numbers for the recommended Dometic AC and the gateway required to tie into the in command system where the 2nd ac would go.

Can’t help with install since we worked it part of the deal for 2nd ac when we bought it.
jhplak325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
markcee

Thanks for the info. The primary A/C (15k btu Dometic) is loud but tolerable. I just didn't know if there were other options out there that were better suited - noise wise - for the more enclosed space of a bedroom
Old 03-21-2020, 08:15 AM   #8
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhplak325 View Post
My 2019 Cougar 34TBS had a sticker with part numbers for the recommended Dometic AC and the gateway required to tie into the in command system where the 2nd ac would go.

Can’t help with install since we worked it part of the deal for 2nd ac when we bought it.

Where was the sticker you found located?