Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #21
CWtheMan

There are numerous descriptions for full time RVing. Probably the only thing we had in common with your description is; living full time in a 5th wheel trailer.

Our 5iver is a 38' Everest with three slides. It has all season insulation. By no standards is it suitable for long term sleet, snow or freezing weather. We never really tested it. We were very seasonal travelers. North in the summer and south in the winter. In our first 4 & 1/2 years we put 75,000 miles on the 5iver and nearly double that on the dually. With all those miles we didn't have any serious problems. In fact, the "E" still has it's original axles after 15 years. Of course we don't boondock or deliberately drive down dirt roads.

One time during our travels we were visiting friends in Peoria, IL and found a nice mobile home park where we stayed for a couple of weeks. Unlike most RV parks it had individual lot mail service. Nice sized lots and a wonderful community center with game rooms and really nice washing, drying, folding room. Here is a picture. The Pride belonged to our traveling companions. A year later it was completely destroyed by fire in CA.

www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=12514

One time we parked at a RV park at Waldo, FL. They had a number of seasonal sites. Here is a picture of how one was set-up.

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=29574

IMO those slide toppers are necessary for long term parking. So is solid sewer connections vice the flexible hook-ups.

It's important to remember, the "vehicle" part of RV. Unforeseen things are going to become damaged by the lack of cycles. Slide seals and tires will probably have a much shorter life expectancy than expected.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #22
laidback

Just keep up with the little things. We have been full timing in our 2011 cougar since it was new. Have only had normal maintenance.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:19 PM   #23
mhbell

Here is a Link to a guy who full times in a cougar like yours I believe.
Click here
Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 AM   #24
Gary-n-Liz

Hubby and I are in fourth year full time in 27.5 foot Outback Terrain with rear bed slide. Very light and low end trailer. As others mentioned, maintenance is the biggest thing. If you're in Florida, pay special attention to your roof; slide awnings are a good idea. Check water softness and get a softener if needed, ours has been very necessary. If you maintain, you won't need good luck.
Gary-n-Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #25
CaptnJohn

We had a Cougar and I really believe you will be fine if you keep water out and treat it gentle. I upgraded some items but overall it is a good trailer. It is NOT and entry level trailer as someone mentioned but a mid level trailer. We went from a 35' cougar to a 43' Montana. The Montana is upgrade over the Cougar but I could be happy in either. The Cougar weighs less and I towed with an F250, no way with the Montana ~ now pull with an F350. W/D ~ wife loves the stackable for many reasons and would not own another combo.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote