Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #21
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acaines View Post
Enzymes are 0-9
Packets are 1-5.

Very informative.
At any one time in this country there are probably 2 M active campers, you've got input from 15.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #22
Mongoose9400

I put Happy Camper powder in after every dump with a couple toilet bowls full of water to be ready for our next trip. We do a weekend trip or two a month, sometimes boondocking and returning home with full tanks. I’ve never smelled anything. I use the blank tank flush each time, my gauges have always worked well.

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #23
Acaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing-in-it View Post
Been using this for 3 years.....never had an issue with it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Happy-Campe...reatment&psc=1
That is the stuff I saw a YouTuber talking about which got me to thinking and start this thread.
Acaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:45 PM   #24
UsTwo

I don't do enzymes nor packets in my black tank. But I do my own version of the GEO method.. Gain fabric softener ( dollar general) about a cup of Dawn and a squirt of dishwasher soap.. I use this about every other trip out..
Makes momma happy...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #25
Acaines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
At any one time in this country there are probably 2 M active campers, you've got input from 15.
Only need 15 more to be statistically significant according to my business statistics class.
Acaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #26
Danno

If I might add something. I have a septic tank at home, been there twenty one years and four of use it in my family. The man that pumps my septic every 5-8 years says DON'T put anything in it, every thing the system needs come right from inside us, anything you add is nothing but a gimmick (Rid-x).
2002 DCB with twin Mercury 300x's
2013 Avalon 2685 with Honda 250
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #27
notanlines

Danno, you've got a lot of nerve confusing the issue with professional information. You're going to put the Dawn people out of business!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #28
Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Danno, you've got a lot of nerve confusing the issue with professional information. You're going to put the Dawn people out of business!
LOL, I used to buy this stuff from a septic company because they scared the *&^% out of me, if I remember right it was about $30 and I was suppose to put it in once a week and the $30 box would last one month!

Well then I told my new septic tank company about it, he handed me an envelope and he said "just put that $30 in this envelope every month" and mail it to me so I can retire earlier..........
2002 DCB with twin Mercury 300x's
2013 Avalon 2685 with Honda 250
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

If you go to the "happy camper" website and download the MSDS for their holding tank treatment, the MSDS says that the product is 100% "monohydrate". If you go to their description, they say the product is: "a stand alone monohydrate, a highly concentrated mineral blend that is activated with water. It contains live aerobic bacteria that break down waste and crowd out odor-producing bacteria." They go on to say that it: " breaks down waste within a few hours and decomposes regular 2-ply toilet tissue in a matter of minutes, so there's no need to buy special RV toilet tissue anymore. It also contains a lubricant that coats your fiberglass holding tank, stopping the build-up of minerals and contaminants." Consider that minerals aren't living things and bacteria is a "carbon based lifeform, not a mineral".....

While I'm not one to "disbelieve any marketing promises"...... I really would be concerned if a 100% organic breed of aerobic bacteria could consume toilet paper "in a matter of minutes".... Just think what those "hungry little buggers" could do to your arm or to the ground if you happen to spill some of it at the campsite or the dump station....

This is quite "melodramatic" but I can see the next sci-fi movie of the year: The Revenge of the killer Happy Camper Treatment".....

I know, I know, the above was typed "tongue in cheek" based on the "promises" on the HC website: http://1-happycamper.com/about.php

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #30
MiMartin

We ALL need a little humor!
Some of you guys are 'Brilliant'
Old 01-03-2019, 09:17 PM   #31
travelin texans

Just a thought, these miracle tank chemicals with active bacteria what happens to that bacteria when you clean the toilet with a bleach based cleaner or some other strong cleaning agent & if your bath sink might be plumbed to the black tank & regularly use anti bacterial soaps.
As for septic tanks they are a total different system than rv holding tanks, nothing you put in rv tanks will be in long enough to break down matter & as mentioned if it will break it down in a matter of hours I would be very wary of using it in my tanks.
If you're happy with whatever you use, keep using it, just keep in mind it's probably not any better than the fabric softener/soap method at breaking up paper/solids, just cost more.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you go to the "happy camper" website and download the MSDS for their holding tank treatment, the MSDS says that the product is 100% "monohydrate". If you go to their description, they say the product is: "a stand alone monohydrate, a highly concentrated mineral blend that is activated with water. It contains live aerobic bacteria that break down waste and crowd out odor-producing bacteria." They go on to say that it: " breaks down waste within a few hours and decomposes regular 2-ply toilet tissue in a matter of minutes, so there's no need to buy special RV toilet tissue anymore. It also contains a lubricant that coats your fiberglass holding tank, stopping the build-up of minerals and contaminants." Consider that minerals aren't living things and bacteria is a "carbon based lifeform, not a mineral".....

While I'm not one to "disbelieve any marketing promises"...... I really would be concerned if a 100% organic breed of aerobic bacteria could consume toilet paper "in a matter of minutes".... Just think what those "hungry little buggers" could do to your arm or to the ground if you happen to spill some of it at the campsite or the dump station....

This is quite "melodramatic" but I can see the next sci-fi movie of the year: The Revenge of the killer Happy Camper Treatment".....

I know, I know, the above was typed "tongue in cheek" based on the "promises" on the HC website: http://1-happycamper.com/about.php
Hmmmmmm, maybe someone in Chernobyl took some of that to work ?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:00 AM   #33
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
If I might add something. I have a septic tank at home, been there twenty one years and four of use it in my family. The man that pumps my septic every 5-8 years says DON'T put anything in it, every thing the system needs come right from inside us, anything you add is nothing but a gimmick (Rid-x).
The guy that pumps your septic tank has a vested interest in having you not use RidX. Job security. He pumps your septic tank every 5 years!
Lived here 20 years before needing our tank pumped. Just sayin'

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #34
TLB

No enzymes used here. I do use the deodorant packets but I cut them open add water then throw the packet in the trash.

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #35
dblanch57

I have used the "Geo Method" since my trailer was new. I have had no problems, tank sensors work, (probably just jinxed myself) and smell is only when I leave the exhaust fan on when flushing. The key to all of this is plenty of water and no wipes ever in the black tank. Geo method - cup of bleach, half of cup of liquid calgon, small bottle of dawn dishwashing soap. 3 to 4 gallons of water to start.

2020 Ford F250 Crewcab 4x4 6.2L
2017 Passport Elite 31RE
DW & Me
<+><
dblanch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:13 AM   #36
atkinsb3

Smile +1 for no Enzymes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Our county requires residential septic tanks be pumped out every 5 years. The guy who does the work told me the same thing so I quit using Rid-x. Haven't had any issues in 20 yrs.

To the subject of Enzymes in the RV tank, I don't use them just an odor control drop-in. Haven't noticed the casing not dissolving just assumed they did.

Over the years have made it clear to my family that if it doesn't come out of your body or off the toilet paper roll, it doesn't go in/down the toilet at home or in the RV...with the exception of the odor control drop-in for the RV
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #37
notanlines

From Blanch: "smell is only when I leave the exhaust fan on when flushing"
If it is there other than this then you have trouble.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #38
NorthwestGuy

If you develop a "poo pile" from not using your tank correctly the bacteria type additives can work to soften it, but you need to give it some time to do it's work. I filled my tank 2/3 with warm water and added some liquid bacterial stuff and let it sit for a week, then threw in two bags of ice and drove to a dump location near me and my problem was resolved. Other than this I concur with the others on adequate water and dumping timely. Please don't ask how I know about the poo pile, let's just chalk it up to learning by experience.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #39
Cracker

I’ve been using the pre-measured Thetford additive every time I dump the black tank (—-probably well-over 25 years now) except when I’m hooked to the sewer for a week or two at a campsite. Of course I keep the black tank closed when hooked up until it’s full, then - if I’ve thought about it, I will have closed my grey tank early enough to have a slug of water available to flush the line after emptying the black tank. Small price to pay for trouble-free enjoyment of my RV.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #40
packnrat

yes to enzyes here. but no to the plastic bags.

never had any smell to worry about. just use the stuff to help "stuff" flow out a bit better. worth it?? but never had a plug. or any out flow or build up problem.
but then when i can after a good cleaning, i do a soap wash for X number of miles.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote