Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 05:29 PM   #31
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
For the last year I have been reading forums and Facebook groups comparing Montana, Bighorn, and Grand Design. Without question Grand Design owners seems to be the most satisfied. I compared all the products up close and personal and this weekend we also bought a Grand Design Solitude 377MBS-R at the Cleveland RV show. Congrats on your decision and I agree with you 100%. Grand Design customers Rave about the customer service and that was a big one for me. Other factors include all the slide out walls are fully laminated along with the back wall same as the side walls. This is not true of Montana or bighorn. Not to mention Solitude now includes a 3000 lb receiver hitch on the back. I really like the Bighorn too but the local dealer has a horrible reputation, and I purchased from them before and I honestly can't stand them. We ordered and we have a couple of months before it comes in. I'll probably hang around for a little while longer but I will be slowly migrating over to The Grand Design forums. I've owned three Keystone's and I honestly don't have anything bad to say about them. I would have bought a Montana but they didn't offer a floorplan that I liked. In the end Solitude had both the floorplan that I liked and I really liked the reputation they are building for customer service. Of the three I would say they were the most expensive but not by much.
Actually the Montana is a laminated back wall as well and the 3855 is the same floor plan as the 377 Solitude.

bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:41 PM   #32
larry337

Not the same floorplan exactly because the door to the bedroom is on the kitchen wall not the hallway wall. That gives up valuable cabinet and counter space in the kitchen. I'm really not going to debate the quality of the units because I would have bought a Montana. The rear wall may be laminated but I'm guessing that the slide outs are not completely laminated all the way around. Montana has Pros over Grand Design obviously. And vice versa.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:27 AM   #33
notanlines

Larry, in that the GD seems to apparently have great customer service, where are you required to have them serviced? It obviously can't be at dealers that sell other brands. Are Grand Design dealers just exclusively that brand? I thought that Pleasureland RV in Minnesota dealt in GD. I looked into a used RV for a friend in one of their sites but they seemed to offer the "catch as catch can" service that most dealers offer.
2017 Mobile Suites
20K Reese slider
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:21 AM   #34
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Larry, in that the GD seems to apparently have great customer service, where are you required to have them serviced? It obviously can't be at dealers that sell other brands. Are Grand Design dealers just exclusively that brand? I thought that Pleasureland RV in Minnesota dealt in GD. I looked into a used RV for a friend in one of their sites but they seemed to offer the "catch as catch can" service that most dealers offer.
Around here Grand Design is sold by General RV and Colerain RV. Both dealers have several locations and carry several other brands. So yeah I would assume I have to go to a grand design dealer.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #35
CaptnJohn

Well over 100,000 Montanas have been sold. Many are on their 2nd or 3rd,

2017 Montana HC 370BR
2016 F350 6.7 4X4
Edgewater 205 EX Yamaha 150
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #36
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IguanaDon View Post
We have made a decision but I want to walk through how we got there
The Chapparal was not the quality we wanted
The High Country was a good contender
We looked at the Grand Design Reflection 337rls and found the Solitude S Class at the cleveland rv show. We knew we did not want to pay solitude price, but the S class was between the reflection and solitude. We ended up selecting the 3350rl Solitude S class.
I know this is a keystone forum but wanted to relate our experience
That is a nice decision, this is one of those were looking only at the GVWR of the 5er would have been a bad decision. With a GVWR many would say too much for a F350 SRW, BUT it has a 4,599# Payload, so if you put 2,500# to 3,000# in it it will be just fine.
2001 Dodge 2500 5.9 CTD, 5 sp, Pacbrake, DS Power Puck, Bilstien 5100's, Just 311K.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
https://s1191.photobucket.com/albums...Smaller5th.jpg
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #37
soapstone4031

We have had excellent reviews from our customers who have bought Forest River Riverstone. Most of what we sell is in the 39' range but they do offer a 37' floorpan.
soapstone4031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstone4031 View Post
We have had excellent reviews from our customers who have bought Forest River Riverstone. Most of what we sell is in the 39' range but they do offer a 37' floorpan.
I can't find a 37' floorplan. The SMALLEST (shortest) Riverstone model on the FR website is the 37REL, listed at 42'8". The other models, 37MRE is 43'2" and the Model 37FLTH is 43'5". Model designations are 37 and 39 but they certainly DON'T correspond to length in feet the shortest available floorplan is over 42' long and all have an empty pin weight over 3,000 pounds, some as high as 4000 pounds and remember, that's empty pin weight !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel