Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Vidorcom

Using Toy Hauler through Winter in NW

I live in the NW and would like to use the Toy hauler camping at Snow Parks while we snowmobile, Mt Baker, Cle Elum, Leavenworth, etc... What needs to be done that will keep everything from freezing? Can I use all functions of trailer in Winter?

Thank you,

Taylor
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

While you are snow camping, will you .........
1) have access to hookups? Water? Electrical? Sewer? OR...
2) be relying on a generator for your 110v requirements?
3) be relying on your batteries only?

It would help if we knew the answers to these questions...
Thanks
Old 09-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Vidorcom

[QUOTE=Festus2;50966]While you are snow camping, will you .........
1) have access to hookups? Water? Electrical? Sewer?

No Hookups, Water, Sewer, etc

2) be relying on a generator for your 110v requirements?

Generator

3) be relying on your batteries only?

Generator and batteries. Propane
Old 09-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Whitehouse

It really depends on the ambient temps. These toyhaulers are not designed to operate below freezing very long w/o taking some precautionary measures.

I have snowmobiled w/my previous Raptor but it was in the spring when temps were warmer. Ive never used it in the heart of winter because it's too cold to have water in it & the roads up the mountain are usually too bad to haul a big heavy TH up it.

If you were going to use it & have water in it during temps are consistently below freezing you would need to heat trace lines & tanks. Add better insulation around the tanks & water lines. Install some some sort of skirting around the bottom of it. Extra batteries if shore power is not available a larger propane tank & you should be good to go.
Whitehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

If you plan on using the water from your FW tank, then you need to ensure that you safeguard your water lines - and your water pump - from freezing. You can try wrapping as much of those exposed lines with insulated pipe foam wrap prior to going. Your furnace can be used to keep the interior warm so long as your battery is being kept fully charged by your generator. While your furnace is running, there will be a minimal amount of heat being dispersed to portions of your underbelly and plumbing but I wouldn't count on that small amount to do much in the way of protecting your pipes.
If your generator has the capacity to have a small 110v space heater going in addition to other things you will be using, that would help and I would make sure that the lines in and around your pump receive some of this heat. If you can open a door or remove a partition to allow some of the warm, inside air to reach the pump that might be something to consider.
I have used a Mr.Big Buddy propane heater during the day when we dry camp in cooler/colder weather. This works well but I wouldn't recommend leaving it on when sleeping and make sure you crack open a window to allow fresh air to come inside.
As mentioned above, some factors that will determine how your winter camping will go include wind, outside temperatures, and length of stay.

BTW - If you have a long extension cord and are at Mt. Baker, our house isn't too far away and you would be welcome to plug in!!
Old 09-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Vidorcom

Thank you for the help. I just started pulling the camoplast off the bottom to put tank heaters, wrap exposed lines, clean up mess wires and ducting, etc...adding styrofoam insulation under garage and sealing with new camoplast. Just bought studded tires for the trailer and ready for snow.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Vidorcom

Is it safe to leave power plugged in through winter? I may put a heater in the trailer to keep above 45.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
Festus2
Site Team

Yes, it is safe to leave it plugged in. However, if you leave your battery hooked up, then make sure you check it from time-to-time to ensure that the water levels are kept up. You might want to remove the battery, take it inside and put a trickle charger on it.
Also, check your HW tank and turn off the 110v supply to it as you don't want to be applying voltage to a drained, empty tank!
If you going to put a heater inside, I would keep it on a low setting. Can you put it on a timer so that it comes on during the late afternoon and during the night? Might help to conserve electricity and $$$.
Instead of a heater, I use a couple of modified coffee cans with a light bulb inside each one - acts like a heater and they give off enough warmth. Low cost, low consumption.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
Vidorcom

Thank you for the info! Enjoy the day.