Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
PackerFan

Passport 3180re owners??? Question on outlets?

Just took our new Passport 3180re to the Nascar race in Joliet, IL. Had a great time and the trailer worked awesome.

We had a question as we could find no electric outlets in the entire rear entertainment area. Are we missing one or just don't see them? We found the one behind the tv and also the ones above the kitchen area, but did not find any other electric outlets.

Can anyone verify if this is correct?

Thanks,

PackerFan
Wisconsin
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
NOVA 3108RE Owner

We just bought a 3180RE as well. There are no other outlets. We wanted to put a lamp on the table. It would have been nice to have at least one.
NOVA 3108RE Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
mike&jenny

Same here. There is two in the bedroom. One beside bed and one by control panel. That's it.
mike&jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
Bluewater

Outlets

I have one on each side of the TV, one over the couch plus the kitchen ones. The bedroom has one on each side of the dresser and the TV cabinet. Never enough but it works.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #5
SlowPoke

Actually, I just stumbled across this post, and was disgruntled over the same issue with mine that I just picked up. HOWEVER, as a master electrician, I'm confident I'll make a few electric mods. I'm working on a slide out option for the table (wifey wants her reading lamp...lol) between the chairs now. When I'm done, I'll post pics and explanations of how it's done. I'm going to use a SO type coiled cable to provide 110 to the slide area from the main chassis,possibly inline fused for safety, to allow the movement for the slide.To save effort, and trouble, I am thinking of using a surface mounted floor receptacle below the table at the floor.

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPoke View Post
Actually, I just stumbled across this post, and was disgruntled over the same issue with mine that I just picked up. HOWEVER, as a master electrician, I'm confident I'll make a few electric mods. I'm working on a slide out option for the table (wifey wants her reading lamp...lol) between the chairs now. When I'm done, I'll post pics and explanations of how it's done. I'm going to use a SO type coiled cable to provide 110 to the slide area from the main chassis,possibly inline fused for safety, to allow the movement for the slide.To save effort, and trouble, I am thinking of using a surface mounted floor receptacle below the table at the floor.
On-wall wiring systems from Nymold and others are very popular for adding outlets and such in RV's. They save a lot of wire routing headaches and the finished appearance is quite acceptable.

I think my Cougar has a similar wiring system and connection for the slides as you are suggesting for yourself. With your background, I am certain that you'll come with a fine finished product. Take pics and show it off!

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
canusa

We just picked up our 3180re today. No outlets by the Entertainment unit either....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
canusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
eanddrice

Our 2007 Passport is lacking a little in the electric outlets as well. DW wants an outlet under the table so she can put a lamp on the table. I have already been looking into this and have figured out exactly how I'm going to do it. Now it's just finding time to do it!!
eanddrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
WireMold works great in RVs. If you have a booth dinette there should be a similar junction box already there for 12v DC. (it was black .. I painted it) And yes you are right Keystone uses J cord to feed the slide with 120v. AC. I just don't like that they use the same terminal blocks for high and low voltage. Looking at the picture I just realized I did not paint the screws. I can't believe the DW let that one slip by.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
SlowPoke

Quote:
Looking at the picture I just realized I did not paint the screws. I can't believe the DW let that one slip by.
Just looked at the pic, you refer to... Looks pretty good, how did you route the wires on the outside? Would love to see a pic!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
SlowPoke

Man ... I can't stand when I get impatient! So outside I went (where I've been all day playing in the TT) to devise my plan to add that confounded receptacle for the DW by the lil table. Put the slide in and out about 10 times to gauge length and safe route for wire, found a sweet spot at the corner, ran my SO-cord through the far corner, outside edge of the slide floor, strapped, routed through the floor at the cabinets, then through the back cabinets to the TV receptacle to tap into. Will post the full array of pics, tomorrow, once I pick up a wiremold box....would've been done had I had one on hand like I thought (What kinda electrician am I anyway???? Didn't even have a spare wiremold box! BAH)

**EDIT**

Ok, pics are now in this thread... - HERE

Old 03-16-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
canusa

I have a question as well. Anyone know where the tv backer is in the bedroom?

Is it aluminum or wood?

Thanks

Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
canusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
SlowPoke

Hiya Jack, you just got a PM (private message) about that question....most good ole handy dandy stud finders will find both aluminum and wood, though they may register a lil differently upon swiping across each...

Old 03-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #14
BruLaz

Quote:
Hiya Jack, you just got a PM (private message) about that question....most good ole handy dandy stud finders will find both aluminum and wood, though they may register a lil differently upon swiping across each...
Ah, good, I've been wondering how you find the Al framing in the walls of these trailers. The one we've been looking at doesn't have an range exhaust vent to the outside. But if there's no Al studs in the way, that should be an easy fix.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
SlowPoke

Remember that the two will be sensed differently, but sensed nevertheless. Just be sure before proceeding, test other areas you KNOW to have the framing before trusting the studfinder for the area you are checking. Also for outside walls, its been mentioned many times to check the walls on a dewey morning. The studs will magically appear as outlines in the dew.

Good Luck!