Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
rhminva

Question Roof issue?

Just finished my 1st trip in my new trailer. While washing the roof I noticed a bump under the roof along the egde and above the awning. Picture is attached. It looks like a defect to me, but this is my 1st trailer. I've contacted the dealer and am waiting to hear back from the service department.

Anyone have similar issues?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0243_sm.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1380  
rhminva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

We have had some members express concerns about bubbles that have formed on the EPDM roof but looking at your photo, those do not appear to be bubbles - at least they don't look like anything that we have seen here so far.
If it is the rubber that I am looking at, it certainly does look like some other type of defect or sloppy installation and I would take it back to the dealer and get it checked out. Did you send the photo(s) to the dealer? I would take a few more from different angles and send them along to the dealer's service department. Photos might help in their assessment.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Yes, it looks like some construction debris was left under the EPDM rubber. If it is soft with no sharp edges they may just flatten it out. If they have to cut to remove it get something in writing from Keystone (dealer may not be there tomorrow) that your 10 to 12 year roof material warranty is not voided.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
fla-gypsy

I agree that something got left under the membrane or you have a screw not set under there. It appears to be small enough that some Dicor lap Sealant may handle that issue. Refer it to the dealer but be careful what you let them do and confirm that Keystone is involved in the decision.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
Terrydactile

Looks like a staple that is working its way out or was never seated properly. Since your trailer is new let the dealer and Keystone handle it. I can tell you this based on what others have found out on other forums about similar roof defects, they (dealer/Keystone) will probably leave it alone claiming that it is not comimg through the material yet. Someday though it will work its way through and of course by then you will be out of warranty. If thats what they decide what I would do is keep a close eye on it until the warranty runs out then fix it your self by cutting a small slit in the rubber and remove the debris. Clean it up real good with a rag dampened with laquer thinner. Let it dry and seal it with Dicor self leveling lap sealant or eternabond. It will not leak so long as you get the rubber good and clean first.

Be aware if you fix it yourself before the warranty runs out your warranty will be void, thus the need to watch it until the warranty is up. If they cut it and fix it make sure it will still be under warranty.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
rhminva

Spoke with the Dealer. They thought they would be able to get it out from the side, without cutting into the roof. They say they will work with Keystone to ensure warranty is still valid. Sounds positive, hopefully will turn out that way.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

Sounds great ..... keep us informed, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
rhminva

Just got word from the dealer that the issue is fixed and my trailer is read to go. They simply pulled the awning off and peeled the roof back to get the debris out. It was a piece of fiberglass. No issue's on the warranty.

I'm very happy I went with a local dealer that has a good rep!

Tags
roof, warranty