Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
AF0115

Bullet 281 BHS owners-reviews?

We're looking at a 2012 281 BHS. Any owners out there that can give us some feedback on their experience?

Andy
AF0115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
michaeliack

Purchased a 2012 Bullet 281 in Decembler (floor plan with bunks). Selected this model mainly for the layout. Kids loved the bunks and we love the direct bathroom access door. We've taken it on about 20 camping trips and have been pleased with the purchase so far. Tow is much more controlled than the popup we upgraded from. Tracks smooth at high speeds. Overall construction is pretty solid for the price. AC and furnace work outstanding. Digital antenna picks up clean reception. Water heater warms quickly and very hot. A few things I don't particularly like about the trailer are the accuracy of the tanks fill indicators (Always seems to indicate more full than actual. If I put a half gallon in, I show 1/3 full.) Second complaint is that the motor for the awning burned out after 3 uses (replaced by OEM for free). Third and final complaint is the queen bed could use more support on the corners at the feet end. I'm towing with a 2007 Tundra and my mpg drops from 13 to 9 when in tow. Hope this helps.
michaeliack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
Englishman

Smile

We have had our 281 since august 2011 and are very please with plenty of for for the two kids and us. Had a couple of issue that the dealer out right.
Good luck with your search and i hope you find something that meets your needs.
https://thecloudscamping.weebly.com/
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
AF0115

We bought a 2012 281 BHS with the Comfort Package 2--and we love it. Thanks for your feedback. Now if I can just find the water heater bypass valves!
Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Englishman

The water bypass is.under the bottom bunk. lift the mattress and the remove the screws.lift the base and you will see the bypass.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
texasAUtiger

We are looking at the 281BHS and so I am glad to see this thread. Some questions for owners:

1. Is the placement of the sink beside the sofa an issue for you? Does dish washing end up slinging water on that sofa?

2. The dinette table seemed small to me and there isn't a back on the side seat of the dinette. Are these issues for you all?

3. Does this model come with electric jacks? I couldn't find it on the website. (Edit: Upon further looking, seems it doesn't.)

4. Can you comment more on your towing experience with the 281BHS with a half-ton truck?

Thanks!
texasAUtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
AF0115

texasAUtiger We are looking at the 281BHS and so I am glad to see this thread. Some questions for owners:

1. Is the placement of the sink beside the sofa an issue for you? Does dish washing end up slinging water on that sofa?

2. The dinette table seemed small to me and there isn't a back on the side seat of the dinette. Are these issues for you all?

3. Does this model come with electric jacks? I couldn't find it on the website. (Edit: Upon further looking, seems it doesn't.)

4. Can you comment more on your towing experience with the 281BHS with a half-ton truck?

I'll try and reply to each:
1. The sink's position hasn't been an issue for us next to the couch, perhaps because the sink is so large. The newest 2012 and 2013 models have moved/flip-flopped the sink and stove but it looks like some counter space might have been lost along with maybe the trash chute which we really like!
2. Are you looking at the old u-shape dinette that has been phased out? Most of the 2012's and all of the 2013's now have a regular 4 person dinette that we find to much bigger and roomier than our old Hybrid's dinette. Keystone explains the dinette switch on the Bullet's website. We really like looking out on our own campsite from our dinette and not on the neighbors like in the past.
3. The latter half of the 2012's came with a "Comfort Package 2" of extra options. I was told by the Bullet factory rep and our salesman that the package was an incentive for the sale of units during the winter season. We have the package and we have a power tongue jack that came with the unit along with some other nice options including a full-size porcelain toilet (what a difference there to our surprise!) We use a cordless drill and bit for our corner stabilizer jacks.
4. We have been surprised at how well our 1/2 ton SUV tows the Bullet. It's a smoother ride than we had towing our Hybrid TT which was about 1,000 pounds lighter. We're very comfortable with our towing experience so far after making a 200 mile trip last weekend with heavy crosswinds. I have a cheaper weight distribution hitch set-up and may upgrade later this year if I catch a deal somewhere.

Hope this helps. We love our Bullet and are very satisfied with it.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Englishman

X2 no issue with water and we like the open seats makes the tt feel bigger. No electric jack but you can get a socket for an electric dril which works very well.

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
flc

I am a firm believer in the power tongue jack and the electric awning. On previous campers mine have been flawless and they are so convenient. My last trailer had the electric corner jacks and I didn't really care for them. I prefer using a drill to lower the mechanical jacks. I didn't find the power jacks any easier and that's two less motors to go out.
flc is offline   Reply With Quote