Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
springfield5

Recommended sway control for Cougar cap

I have a question about sway control and weight distribution hitches for the Keystone Cougar with the fiberglass front cap. I am not so concerned about the preferences between Reese Dual Cam and Equalizer 4 point, more so which fits better on the trailer with the fiberglass front cap. My wife and I have put a down payment on a 31sqb. The dealer recommended the Equalizer because that is what they sell. I think that the Equalizer may work better with the fiberglass cap since it does not have the chains and brackets. I would like to hear from current owners who can shed a little light with their personal experiences.

Thanks in advance!
springfield5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
JoeofNSB

I have used the Equalizer on a 24 foot bumper pull car hauler and was very happy with it. In fact still have it for sale in the want ad department. Never used the Resse but I'm sure others will comment on it.

Joe & Terri
2005 Raptor 3612DS ToyHauler "the Pearl"
2001 Ford F550 4X4 (or is that 4X6!!) 7.3L Crew Cab - "Jack Sparrow"
2010 Victory CrossCountry
2012 Bushtec Spartan trailer (behind Victory)
2006 Suzuki DR650
Trek EX8 Mountain Bike
Trek 7100 Hybrid
48" Penny Farthing Bike
Haro Sonix International Mountain Bike
Haro Sanford Road Bike with a B.O.B Trailer
JoeofNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Paddler

I don't have your trailer but I can give you something to look at that might help you make your choice. Measure the distance from the center of the trailer coupler (where the ball would be) along the "A" frame rail to the start of the fiberglass cap. (measure both sides and take the shortest measurement) If the distance is greater than 35" then the Equal-i-zer will probably fit. If it is less than 33" it might not fit. You generally mount the L brackets right around 32-35" from the center of the coupler.
Hope that helps,
Old 01-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
f6bits

As I look at pictures of the 31sqb, it looks like there’s a fair bit of clearance between the frame and the cap. Looking at my EQ setup, the inside of the frame houses the inside bracket of my EQ setup, which goes less than 2” above the frame. The outside of the frame has the same 2” rise, PLUS however much of the L bracket you have raised above the frame.

So if you have 2” clearance above the inside of the frame, and the cap does hang past the outside of the frame, you should be fine. If the dealer recommends it, and can successfully install it, you’re golden. And that’s my 2¢.

By the way, what are you using as a tow vehicle? Wheelbase figures into recommendations as well, since I suspect that the Reese cams will hold the trailer straighter on a shorter wheelbase.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
springfield5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdayman View Post
As I look at pictures of the 31sqb, it looks like there’s a fair bit of clearance between the frame and the cap. Looking at my EQ setup, the inside of the frame houses the inside bracket of my EQ setup, which goes less than 2” above the frame. The outside of the frame has the same 2” rise, PLUS however much of the L bracket you have raised above the frame.

So if you have 2” clearance above the inside of the frame, and the cap does hang past the outside of the frame, you should be fine. If the dealer recommends it, and can successfully install it, you’re golden. And that’s my 2˘.

By the way, what are you using as a tow vehicle? Wheelbase figures into recommendations as well, since I suspect that the Reese cams will hold the trailer straighter on a shorter wheelbase.
Hi and thanks for the reply!

I am towing with a 2004 2500 Suburban 8.1l with the 4.10 axle ratio. Unfortunately I have not picked up the trailer yet so I cannot make any measurements of the A frame and cap. I was hoping to figure this out before we go to pick it up so that we can get the best hitch, not just the one that the dealer will attempt to sell us. Also, I assume that the tongue weight in the brochure is referring to the dry weight. It states that the tongue weight is around 950lbs. I would assume that it would be near 1200 at FLW. Would this mean that I should get a 12000/1200 hitch? I would think so, but thought I should check.

Thanks again for all of the great advice!

Jeff
Old 01-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
f6bits

Hmm, found this thread:
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3761

950lbs is borderline, so the 12K makes more sense. I’ve really got to get mine on a scale so I know the real numbers.

You should also take a look at the hitch that you have, as per:
http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm...g/24992922.cfm

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Paddler

I fear you may have another problem you will need to consider. What is the wheelbase of your Surburban?

The formula is 110" of tow vehicle wheelbase will safely pull a 20ft trailer, for each additional ft of trailer you will need an additional 4" of tow vehicle wheelbase. An example: 130" wheelbase will safely tow a 25" trailer. Using the Equalizer or Reese Dual cam you could stretch that to 29" of trailer. To go beyond that you will need a Hensley Arrow hitch or a longer wheelbase tow vehicle.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
chuck&gail

I love my Equal-i-zer. I'm handicapped so fooling with chains is hard. With an electric tongue jack, the Equalizer is easy to hook/unhook. I assume you're getting an electric tongue jack? I STRONGLY recommend one no matter what WDH you get.

As for size, what is TT GVWR? You want 13 to 15% of the GVWR on the tongue. You want hitch bars close to, but equal or larger, to that number.

Once hooked up and fully loaded, be sure to check TV rear axle weight. Many people install too few washers, and that causes rear GAWR to be exceeded. Installing more washer usually fixes that.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
jq1031

Is that suburban a half or three quarter ton TV, as that also filters into the equasion?
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
2011 keystone

8.1 L IS PLENTY OF POWER just watch you gvwr.
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #11
springfield5

Thanks everyone for the responses. Our Suburban is a 2500 8.1l with the 4.10 rear axle ratio. GM states that the towing capacity is 12000 lbs with a weight distribution hitch. The hitch states 12000 lbs and 1500 lbs tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch. I fear that the Hensly Arrow hitch would not fit on this unit due to the front fiberglass cap and the hitch upright tubes. I think I will probably need to go with the Equalizer and hope for the best.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfield5 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. Our Suburban is a 2500 8.1l with the 4.10 rear axle ratio. GM states that the towing capacity is 12000 lbs with a weight distribution hitch. The hitch states 12000 lbs and 1500 lbs tongue weight with a weight distribution hitch. I fear that the Hensly Arrow hitch would not fit on this unit due to the front fiberglass cap and the hitch upright tubes. I think I will probably need to go with the Equalizer and hope for the best.
The towing capacity of the hitch is NOT the towing capacity of the vehicle.

The towing capacity of the vehicle is the GCWR of the vehicle minus the fully loaded weight of the vehicle to include passengers, cargo, and fuel.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
springfield5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post

The towing capacity of the vehicle is the GCWR of the vehicle minus the fully loaded weight of the vehicle to include passengers, cargo, and fuel.
Maybe I stated my thoughts incorrectly earlier. GM rated it at 12,000 with those options. I was only stating wat the hitch is rated at in response to one of the earlier comments of someone who had a 2500 Suburban with a lower capacity hitch. Sorry for the confusion.
Attached Images

Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Paddler

What is the wheelbase of your Subi? This be a very critical piece of information. We have already had one member of this board total a trailer because the tow vehicle wheelbase was to short. Going with the Equal-i-zer and hoping for the best is not a good answer for your family's safety.

Yes, I am a member of the towing police but trust me I have your safety at heart!!!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #15
springfield5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
What is the wheelbase of your Subi? This be a very critical piece of information. We have already had one member of this board total a trailer because the tow vehicle wheelbase was to short. Going with the Equal-i-zer and hoping for the best is not a good answer for your family's safety.

Yes, I am a member of the towing police but trust me I have your safety at heart!!!
Thanks for your concern and I understand exactly where you are coming from. The Suburbans WB is right around 130". By your estimates, I am limited to a 29' travel trailer. Unfortunately, I do not think they make a three row vehicle with a longer wheel base...unless an Excursion is longer but has a lower towing capacity. I am also pretty sure that a HA hitch will not work with the front cap. So, what vehicle would you recommend? Thanks again for your help and concern!

Jeff
Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #16
springfield5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post

Thanks again for the reply. I looked tonight and the GCWR is 19000 and with a GVW of 8600 that would leave me with 10400lbs to play with....approximately. Please correct me if my math is wrong!
Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #17
jq1031

Dual Cam, Equalizer, Friction Bars, Hensley or any WD Hitch setup, it still depends on a good match between the TT & TV for total comfort on the Interstate. If what you have is set up correctly & it's working the way you want & you're not causing a future accident on I-Whatever, then you got the right set up.... One size does not fit all here. Me, I'm happy with mine...
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #18
Paddler

Hi Jeff,
I feel your pain. The other forum member that totalled his 35ft trailer was driving a Surburban. They got passed by a couple big rigs in a row and it set off uncontrollable sway. They were not injured and purchased the same trailer again except with a Hensley Arrow hitch.

If you're sure the HA won't work, I highly recommend you do a few trial pulls, without the family, until you have a good measure of the handling characteristics of your rig. Start with the rig empty then make the same run fully loaded.
Best wishes,
Steve
Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
springfield5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
Hi Jeff,
I feel your pain. The other forum member that totalled his 35ft trailer was driving a Surburban. They got passed by a couple big rigs in a row and it set off uncontrollable sway. They were not injured and purchased the same trailer again except with a Hensley Arrow hitch.

If you're sure the HA won't work, I highly recommend you do a few trial pulls, without the family, until you have a good measure of the handling characteristics of your rig. Start with the rig empty then make the same run fully loaded.
Best wishes,
Steve
Thanks again for your concern. It looks like the "styled" fiberglass cap may not be all that it is cracked up to be in this instance.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #20
ldprice47

If you want to stay with a HA, talk to Terry at Hensley. They make a modified HA for the new fiberglass covers and the v-fronts on the market now.
1989 36 Foot Southwind

2012 Passport 3180RE

Hensley Arrow Hitch
2008 Silverado 1500

Larry and Maida
Wimberley, Texas
ldprice47 is offline   Reply With Quote