Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
tgger61

Smoke Detector False Alarms

Spent this last weekend with my Bullet 286QBS.

Only 1 problem:

Both nights, in the middle of the night the smoke detector sounded off.

No fire, No smoke.

Didn't happen during the day that I know of.

Anybody have a clue what might be up?
tgger61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

That makes for a very uncomfortable night. Are you sure it was the smoke detector and not the LP gas detector? The gas detector can be triggered by cleaning solutions, aerosols and even low trailer battery conditions. I have even had both triggered by a neighbors generator. If it was the smoke detector and you are 100% sure there was no smoke, I would replace it ... they are very inexpensive. I hope this helps and welcome to the forum, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
KanTC

Welcome to the forum tgger61,

In addition to Hank's thoughts/ideas..... here's some more food for thought.

What was different from day to night? And, was there a common factor on both nights?

Were your windows or over-head vents open at night, and someone in the campground with a campfire burning?? Furnace on at night?... sometimes a brand new furnace will put off a 'burning odor' the first few times it's used. If your trailer isn't brand new, is this the first time you've used the furnace this year?? Any evidence that mice (spiders, bees/wasps, etc) could have set up house-keeping since you used it last??

If your trailer is still under warranty I'd contact the dealer, even if you choose to replace the smoke alarm yourself. The dealer, manuf, & folks who supply the safety alarms need to be aware if indeed these items are failing at less than 1 yr old... if enough people report it, they may issue a service (replacement) advisory.

Hope this helps!
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #4
Johnnyfry

Smoke alarm

Any of those things mentioned could, of course, be the cause. I had, believe it or not, a mosquito get into my alarm at home once several years ago. All the alarms were in parallel so they all went off scaring the daylights out of the entire family.

If that turns out to be your problem, a piece of nylon stocking covering might be the cure.

Of course, having a mosquito warning system might have some benefits.

John
Johnnyfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #5
The Sod Father

Bugs. Like John, I had the same thing happen to me. I was running all over the house at 2:00 a.m. trying to find the fire. Nothing. From what I've read, the problem was most likely caused by skeeters or gnats.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
tgger61

2012 Keystone Bullet 286QBS
2nd Weekend of Ownership
2 Adults, 1 Teen, and 2 Youngins

The first night of ownership we parked at an Rv Park on the way home. That night the Fire Alarm goes off.

Decided last weekend to take it out and put the trailer through its paces more to test me out then the trailer.

Very early Saturday morning the fire alarm goes off. Ended up having to pull the battery out of the alarm to get it to shut up. Reinstalled the battery and the alarm after getting up later that morning. Early Sunday morning the fire alarm goes off again, this time rather then fighting with it I just pulled the battery out and left it on the table. Once again I reinstalled it Sunday morning. Decided to make eggs and sauges. Wouldnt you know it, the fire alarm goes off but at least this time I can blame the sausages,,, at least thats what I'm blaiming it on for this occurence.

During sleep time the windows were shut as well as the vents.

I'm wondering if having the 5 of us in the trailer all buttoned up creates a moisture problem for the fire alarm. Something like finding the moisture on the inside of a tent after sleeping in one over night.
tgger61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
wozzukes

I know this is one of those "stupid" questions, but have you tried replacing the battery? We had issues with the CO detector in our trailer continuing to go off at random times and replaced the batteries and all has been well since. So instead of reinstalling the same battery perhaps try a new one?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
The Sod Father

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgger61 View Post
2012 Keystone Bullet 286QBS
I'm wondering if having the 5 of us in the trailer all buttoned up creates a moisture problem for the fire alarm. Something like finding the moisture on the inside of a tent after sleeping in one over night.
Nope. Smoke detectors are detecting changes in air density. That's why they go off when you use an aerosol spray near them. The propellants change the density if the air around them. Moisture in the air (humidity) wouldn't make that much of a difference for the smoke detector, but you should consider leaving a roof vent open just a bit to vent out some of the moisture. It can build up in window frames and become mold under the right conditions.
Tekonsha Prodigy playing the role of brake control
The Sod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
tgger61

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions:

We are going to take the TT back out this weekend for more shakedown time.
It has been suggested by any number of people both on and off the board that we change the battery in the detector. So thats what I'm going to do.

Also suggestions that we keep a little free flowing air in the trailer regardless of the alarm is one that also has been suggested and I like that idea also.

Thank again for all your help

Tags
alarm, falae alarm, smoke detector