Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #21
BulletOwner1

Roger,
Sorry I didn't chime in sooner. I had a leak in my FW tank also, although it was caused by your's truly . In taking the coroplast down I removed 2 of the screws and discovered they were cut off. They were in the location on the frame rail that one end of the FW tank rests on. The tank also rests on 2 C rails like yours with the steel straps. Anyway, when I went to reinstall the coroplast I just grabbed a regular length screw and "BAM" - instant hole in the tank. Luckily I was able to just shift the tank away from the frame rail to access the hole and used some plastic welding rod and a soldering iron to mend. Has worked out so far. Now you're going to make me worry about the strap screw heads sticking up .

Oh, as far as the "POLAR PACK" goes - Factory rep told me that my "Thermal Package" consisted of the covered underbelly, larger BTU furnace, and the extra 2" heat duct to the underbelly for the tanks. That's it........... No extra insulation......

Richard
Old 07-21-2014, 08:15 PM   #22
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post

Oh, as far as the "POLAR PACK" goes - Factory rep told me that my "Thermal Package" consisted of the covered underbelly, larger BTU furnace, and the extra 2" heat duct to the underbelly for the tanks. That's it........... No extra insulation......

Richard
Everybody has a covered underbelly and the 2" heat duct to the underbelly is standard - not an "extra" -- same with the furnace. Our '08 Cougar has, I believe, the standard-sized furnace (30000 BTU?) and the Polar Package sticker on it.

But I guess if the factory rep told you that stuff, he must be right.
Who am I to argue with a factory rep?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 PM   #23
BulletOwner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Everybody has a covered underbelly and the 2" heat duct to the underbelly is standard - not an "extra" -- same with the furnace. Our '08 Cougar has, I believe, the standard-sized furnace (30000 BTU?) and the Polar Package sticker on it.

But I guess if the factory rep told you that stuff, he must be right.
Who am I to argue with a factory rep?
Actually I emailed the customer relations people at Keystone asking what my thermal package consisted of. That was their response.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:28 AM   #24
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletOwner1 View Post
Actually I emailed the customer relations people at Keystone asking what my thermal package consisted of. That was their response.
Now...that reminds me of the credit card commercial where the eastern european sounding guy says "hallo? - this is Peggggy! How can I elllp you?"

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's pictures of what I described including the "new and improved" (HUH ???) Polar Pac..... Notice the layer of "aluminized bubble wrap" the way the FW tank is "bolted on the sides of the crossmembers" and the way the black/gray tanks "just slip into the support frame".... I'm not certain if there are any crossmembers under the FW tank, but there are none under the smaller tanks.

As I said, I'm not sure if ALL the brands are constructed this way, but these are pictures of the framework for a 2015 Cougar 331MKS which has a 60 gallon FW tank and three 38 gallon black/gray tanks.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	6626   Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks2.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	6627   Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	6628  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #26
Mountain Cougar

"In taking the coroplast down I removed 2 of the screws and discovered they were cut off."
Richard, don't feel bad .... When I first started to investigate the leak I removed some screws from the coroplast and thought they were broken off or rusted thru. I tossed them away. It wasn't till later I understood why they were short.
I got my welding rods today and will attempt to fix the wholes in the tank tomorrow.

JRTJH,
Thanks for the pics. Looks like they made some improvements on installing the tank. It is hard to see how it is attached and how easy it would be to remove from below once the flooring is on.
Also I am sure the bubble wrap will keep mister frost out

2009 Cougar 244 RLS

2007 Dodge QC 2500 5.9l
Mountain Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:49 AM   #27
jsmith948

MountainCougar et al:

Just want to thank the OP and the other forum members for this thread. John, I tried to take your advice (I really did) about 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it - go camping instead', but, the more I thought about MountainCougars water tank, the more I felt the need to investigate. Pulled down enough of the coroplast to access the tank (it is at the very rear of our trailer) and checked it out with an inspection mirror. Sure enough - hex head self drilling/tapping metal screws installed from the top down to hold the tank support straps in place. The water tank is resting on the screw heads. Lifted up on the empty tank and could see where 4 of the 6 screws had worn a slight divot in the plastic. The tank isn't leaking - yet. Cut 6- 4"x6" pieces of 24ga galvanized sheet metal and slipped one between each of the screw heads and the tank. Gorilla taped the sheet metal to the bottom of the tank to keep them from sliding out (I doubt that they would, given the weight of the tank) and resealed the underbelly. Call me OCD but I have one less thin g to worry about

On edit: While I was under there, I took the opportunity to reroute the 12V wires that feed the dinette slide lights. They were routed between the bottom of the tank and the support straps. Ran them along the side of the tank.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 AM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

jsmith948, I guess it's a good thing you "double checked".... Now, you should be "good to go"... With my luck, I'd break something trying to fix something else, so I'm leaving "well enough alone" LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:08 AM   #29
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
jsmith948, I guess it's a good thing you "double checked".... Now, you should be "good to go"... With my luck, I'd break something trying to fix something else, so I'm leaving "well enough alone" LOL
Been there - done that! BTW, the OP and I are both from CA. Maybe it is a plant specific issue? The fix at the factory would be to use round headed screws?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
Old 07-24-2014, 08:52 PM   #30
Mountain Cougar

jsmith948,
I am glad you did your due diligent and checked the screws. It could be such an easy fix from the factory.
Yesterday I welded my tank and reinstalled it. A relatively easy task.
I opted not to use the carriage bolts and went with Grade 8 bolts. In order to be able to hold on while screwing on a locking nut.
After that I put an oversized washer over the bolt head as a spacer, to keep the tank from sitting on it. Since our summer is very short here in Tahoe, I am anxious to go and use my trailer again. I am still waiting for Keystone to get back to me and hope for a new tank. The welding went OK but I am not sure about the long term. Attached a few pics from the project.
Thanks for all the input and advise from you all and I hope this will help someone else with that kind of a problem

Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1743.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	6653   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1748.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	6654   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1749.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	6655   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1752.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	6656   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1758.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	6657  

2009 Cougar 244 RLS

2007 Dodge QC 2500 5.9l
Old 07-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #31
Mountain Cougar

Just an update,
Keystone did commit to send me a new tank even tough it was out of warranty. I commend them for taking care of that. I am happy with that decision. We do have to give praise where due and not only the rants.
We do love our trailer and hope to get a few more years out of it.
So all is well and I am looking forward to our next trip...

Roger

2009 Cougar 244 RLS

2007 Dodge QC 2500 5.9l