Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #1
Ram189

Water Fill Question

So I have my trailer out for the first time this week and when I pulled in to park at the place we park for the race I filled the fresh water tank off the gravity feed which worked just like my old trailer. When full it ran out I shut off the water.

Here is my question. How do you know when the fresh water is full when you use the city connection?? There is no gauge and I don't want to run in and out. Will it run out the gravity feed hole like normal or what?

Thanks

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
HappyCamperMN

If I understand your question...

When using the city water connection (hose from spigot connected to the side of the trailer) you don't actually fill the fresh water tank, but rather it works like the plumbing in your house and runs into the water lines directly bypassing the fresh water tank.

https://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...psyh8hlsyo.jpg
HappyCamperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
WaltBennett

If you've a "power fill" valve somewhere that diverts city water into your fresh water tank, you're supposed to open the gravity fill port. When the tank fills, water will come out the port.

I just noted you've a '14 Montana - saw something on MOC where they'd stopped having gravity fill ports. Guess that's only on some models as I thought that was a really bad idea.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

As HappyCamperMN pointed out, if you are hooked up to city water, no water will go into the FW tank but instead flow directly into the water lines bypassing the tank. So there is no "need to know when the FW tank is full".

If you are not hooked up to city water and putting water into the FW tank, there is really no exact way of knowing if the tank is full - unless it starts "coming back at you" or overflowing.

If you FW tank sensor is accurate, use that as a guide to see if it is full, partially full, etc.
Sometimes you can tell by listening to the air coming out of the vent hole - when getting full it does make a slightly different sound. If you have a certain rate of flow coming out of the hose and time how long you are running the water, that can give you a rough idea of how close you are to having a full tank. Both of these last two crude methods do take some practice and are only rough guides at best.

Depending on your Montana system, some or all of the above may not work for you.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram189 View Post
So I have my trailer out for the first time this week and when I pulled in to park at the place we park for the race I filled the fresh water tank off the gravity feed which worked just like my old trailer. When full it ran out I shut off the water.

Here is my question. How do you know when the fresh water is full when you use the city connection?? There is no gauge and I don't want to run in and out. Will it run out the gravity feed hole like normal or what?

Thanks
So you are saying they removed the tank level indicators from your 2014 model ?? all or just for fresh water? My manual indicated when using city water connection inlet and the diverter switch to Fill tank when filled water will come out gravity fill. I usually watch gauge myself and have never filled the fresh water tank all the way (112 gallons). On mine there is the actual gravity fill hole and a vent next to it so not sure where the over flow will come out.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #6
bobbecky

We have a 2012, and have the gravity fill. On another forum, others that have the new 'improved' system that don't have gravity fill, still have a vent near the fresh water holding tank. From photos I've seen, there is a shallow cover over the vent, and I'm pretty sure, just like when filling the old style system, water will start coming out the vent when the tank is full. I used to remove the fill cap when power filling, but now, just watch for water to come out the vent behind the hatch where the gravity fill is.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #7
canesfan

I don't have a gravity fill, I have the "new improved" model without it. At any rate, my "super tech" advised me when we were talking about it that when the tank level shows full, there is still about 8 or so gallons remaining and to shut it off at that point to avoid over filling it. I am heeding his advise and not waiting for water to flow out the vent.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:57 PM   #8
instymp

In mine, I fill the tank, hook up the hose to city water inlet, make sure the water pump is off & it is like your house. Doesn't pump from the filled tank. Want the tank, turn on the water pump.
instymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
Ram189

Sorry for the confusion.

It has a gravity fill and the power fill from the fresh water inlet. The gravity fill is in the rear of the trailer and the power fill is in the side.

Someone answered the question for me which is what I thought it was. Watch the gravity fill for back flow and shut it off.

I will probably use the gravity fill every chance I get just because I like it better since that is what I am used to and it is an easier way rather than hooking up a hose every time to the fresh fill

https://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ps110a0f22.jpg
Ram189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:42 PM   #10
Cnc_hemi

My fuzion has both. I use the fill from the city connection for that I have a quick connect for fast hook up. All I have to do switch the fill lever. And I do jot try to over fill it. But on the units without a gravity fill they still have a over flow drain. So the tank never gets put under pressure. This I a nice option I like it.

LSU TIGER FAN
2013 FUZION 310
2012 GMC 2500 HD SIERRA DURAMAX 6.6L
Cnc_hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
bobbecky

The reason we try to fill with the power fill most of the time, is, we have a water softener in the basement, next to the convenience center, and have incoming water to the softener, then to the water inlet in the convenience center. So, when filling the water tank, it gets softened water, then when using pump, we have softened water. It sure has stopped all the mineral crud buildup on all the fixtures.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #12
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
The reason we try to fill with the power fill most of the time, is, we have a water softener in the basement, next to the convenience center, and have incoming water to the softener, then to the water inlet in the convenience center. So, when filling the water tank, it gets softened water, then when using pump, we have softened water. It sure has stopped all the mineral crud buildup on all the fixtures.
Interesting never heard of this? Just seen filters. What type water softener did you use? Already see build up on fixtures

Thanks
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #13
bobbecky

We have the Watts RV Pro 10,000 water softener. There are other brands similar. To recharge this unit, you disconnect it from your system, remove a plug on top and drain some water from it, then add 2 lbs of common table salt, rinse the salt from the threads and replace the plug. On the discharge side, there is a wye fitting, one side the normal water flow, the other side has a small hole which is where you run water out of when recharging. You run water through the unit for 20 minutes to do the recharge, then re-install the unit to your system. Depending on the hardness of your incoming water, the unit is rated for 10,000 gallons before needing a recharge. I have only had to recharge maybe every three months, and we full time.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
theasphaltrv'er

Our 2014 5er has that ridiculous docking station. Has the one inlet to fill both the water tank or use city water hookup, just flip the lever. (Bet whom ever come up with that bright idea to do away with the gravity feed got a hugh bonus ...NOT) It took me several emails to Keystone (they were absolutely no help), my dealer (they had no clue either) and several PM's to 1 or 2 forum members and with their help we finally figure out how we can fill the fresh water tank if we're out boondocking & need to add water without a water spigot. We figured out we could remove the air vent screen and insert a 5/8 hose that is attached to a 5 gallon jug and gravity feed it. Slow process but very doable.
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #15
Shewbox

Cnc_hemi -- we have a Fuzion 331 Chrome and we fill our tank with the hose hooked and flip the switch to fill but we want to take some extra water out to our dry camping trip next week and will need to put it in via a funnel....where is the place on your Fuzion where you do that?? Is there a place like the "olden days" where you just put a hose in ?!?! Thanks in advance......
2014 Ford F-350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke Diesel 4X4
2015 Polaris RZR 900
2016 Polaris RZR 900
2004 Yamaha TTR 250
2003 Yamaha WRF 250
Shewbox is offline   Reply With Quote