Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
neboyntx

Quick Connect Frustration

Greetings campers....

I have searched high and low ... read the stickies.

I've come close to the answer but to no avail...

I have a 2013 Keystone Montana, 346LBQ

It has the gas hook up on the back of the RV, which is great if I could use it.

I purchased the Camco 10' 5100 to connect my Aussie Grill to the camper. The Aussie grill connection is awesome but the connection to my RV is not awesome. The Male adapter is too small. The gosh darn Camco box doesn't have the size listed anywhere.

Does anyone know the correct adapter size to the quick connect in the back?

Or does anyone have the URL/Part Number for a whole new Gas Quick Connect with shutoff valve that will work with the Camco hose.

This can't be that hard.
08 F-250
neboyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #2
f6bits

Here's a sticky post on the topic:
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9739

My local Home Depot didn't have much to offer and I'm still looking. One of Bob's links leads to this page:
http://www.propaneproducts.com/catal...oses-35-1.html

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
therink

I ran into that same thing. It is a larger connector (don't know the fitting size). I ended up buying a gray quick connect hose with fittings at Lowes (in the grill section). It is a kit to hook a patio grill to threaded natural gas supply pipe from a house. http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1...&nValue=SEARCH

I had to use a reducer and nipple at the grill valve but works perfect for my Weber.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #4
GaryWT

I think they come in 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch. Do a search and there are a few companies out ther that sell everything quick connect. Last year I made a T and added a hose to run both my stove and grill off of the connection. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #5
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
I ran into that same thing. It is a larger connector (don't know the fitting size). I ended up buying a gray quick connect hose with fittings at Lowes (in the grill section). It is a kit to hook a patio grill to threaded natural gas supply pipe from a house. http://m.lowes.com/product?langId=-1...&nValue=SEARCH

I had to use a reducer and nipple at the grill valve but works perfect for my Weber.
That's the way to go and I'd do the same. I've got to plumb a line on ours and I want it near the basement door, but will use the same size fitting. Biggest issue is making certain the grill is going to work with the amount of pressure from the trailer.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
That's the way to go and I'd do the same. I've got to plumb a line on ours and I want it near the basement door, but will use the same size fitting. Biggest issue is making certain the grill is going to work with the amount of pressure from the trailer.
Why would you think that would be an issue? All propane stoves and grills run on a regulated pressure of 11" WC. Take the regulator off the grill, adapt with a QC, and it will run fine on the trailer LP system. I run a Camp Chef stove with two 30K BTU burners and it works fine. It will not work with two regulators.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
neboyntx

I did one more search this morning, with a clear head. Found a local BBQ provider that has a ton of fittings and valves. I'll be heading there this Saturday.

It looks like they have a replacement part for the 3/8 valve with disconnect which should work.

http://www.tejassmokers.com/quickconnecthoses.htm

If not, they have a few 3/8 inch hoses and some adapters that I think will work with the Aussie Grill I have....

I'll let you all know what I find out. I know your on the edge of your chairs with this one.
08 F-250
Old 03-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
Why would you think that would be an issue? All propane stoves and grills run on a regulated pressure of 11" WC. Take the regulator off the grill, adapt with a QC, and it will run fine on the trailer LP system. I run a Camp Chef stove with two 30K BTU burners and it works fine. It will not work with two regulators.
No, not all use that. The small one we have has internal regulators to use little bottles. I've either got to keep it dedicated to them or add some hardware so I can switch back & forth (between the existing bottle regulator & where it hooks to the grill).

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Bob Landry

Quote:
No, not all use that. The small one we have has internal regulators to use little bottles. I've either got to keep it dedicated to them or add some hardware so I can switch back & forth (between the existing bottle regulator & where it hooks to the grill).
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. All propane stove, grills, cookers, etc, have to made to run on an industry standard gas pressure or else there would be a multitude of regulators on the market and you would have to match a regulator to your specific appliance.
Regardless if your gas source is a one lb bottle or a 100 lb tank, while the pressures in those containers are minimally affected by variables such as volume and temperature, the pressure in all of the the containers is pretty much the same and is not going to affect operation until it's almost empty and the output of the regulator going to the appliance propane appliance is going to be relatively the same.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 AM   #10
cabinfever

We purchased the Camco Olympian 4100 grill. We also purchased the non regulated valve with 10' of hose. The fitting on the hose fits our quick connect at the rear of the TT. Just a note on the grill. We are very pleased with the construction of the grill, very heavy cast aluminum. Seems like it should hold up to years of service. Also nice to have the regulated valve if we want to use the grill away from the TT with a propane tank.

2007 Silverado 2500HD 4X4
2013 Springdale 303BHSSR
cabinfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:44 AM   #11
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. All propane stove, grills, cookers, etc, have to made to run on an industry standard gas pressure or else there would be a multitude of regulators on the market and you would have to match a regulator to your specific appliance.
Regardless if your gas source is a one lb bottle or a 100 lb tank, while the pressures in those containers are minimally affected by variables such as volume and temperature, the pressure in all of the the containers is pretty much the same and is not going to affect operation until it's almost empty and the output of the regulator going to the appliance propane appliance is going to be relatively the same.
That is right, but there can't be TWO regulators in line.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:06 AM   #12
Bob Landry

Quote:
That is right, but there can't be TWO regulators in line.

Iff you'll read the sticky that I wrote on this topic, you'll see that I indicated that two regulators won't work.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
WaltBennett

And what I wrote was about how I'd have to modify the grill such that either I'd not be able to use small bottles again or come up with something that would allow either a hose or the bottle regulator & adapter to be used. Still haven't figured how to do this without looking really strange (and maybe not being too safe). At this point I'm thinking about just refilling bottles or getting an adapter to hook to a separate LP grill tank.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #14
BlindGuyNAR

I had same issue, but just swapped the 3/8 QC for a 1/4 QC. Since a 1/4 QC hose was supplied with my unit (yeah figure that out) I thought the QC was 1/4 and just bad. Only after buying a replacement did I realize the difference in size.

Anyway I just swapped the 3/8 to 1/4 and it worked fine. I also turned it sideways and added 10 or 12 in of pipe so now it exits on the side just behind kitchen instead of under the bumper.

It actually perfectly lined up to exit just behind the bumper support so its protected well.

I ditched the bumper grill mount and modified a coleman roadtrip grill to accept the QC. I'm really happy with the results.

2013 Mountaineer 346 LBQ

If no one from the future comes to stop you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #15
BlindGuyNAR

Quote:
And what I wrote was about how I'd have to modify the grill such that either I'd not be able to use small bottles again or come up with something that would allow either a hose or the bottle regulator & adapter to be used. Still haven't figured how to do this without looking really strange (and maybe not being too safe). At this point I'm thinking about just refilling bottles or getting an adapter to hook to a separate LP grill tank.
I am not sure which grill you have, but this could be easily done with the coleman roadtrip grills.

Modify if for QC as in this youtube video. LINK mine didn't thread as easy has his did on the video, but it did go.

Then just buy an extra regulator assembly Part# 9928-5251 (might be different depending on the actual model you have) just find your model and order the right part.

~$25 and just switch between them as needed. Perfectly safe.

2013 Mountaineer 346 LBQ

If no one from the future comes to stop you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?
BlindGuyNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:42 AM   #16
Bob Landry

That link is going to help a lot of people. I had always just assumed that the Coleman grills could not be modded, not because of personal observation or experience because I've never owned one, but because of the countless threads that have been published on that topic. So much for the validity of the Internet.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 03-05-2014, 07:22 AM   #17
canesfan

Hmmm, I'm going to have to look at my Roadtrip grill. I have the blue version and the connector that goes into the back of the grill is a sort of quick connect, not a screw on as shown. Wondering if it still comes apart like the one shown?

Thank you so much for that link!!!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
WaltBennett

Don't have a Coleman, but this is still the same problem. Mine exits the grill on the side & has a right angle at the regulator to the bottle fitting.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:58 PM   #19
blackty

The hose you are looking for has male threads that resemble the top of the 1lb. gas bottle on one end. The other end of the hose has a male POL fitting. They can be found at most stores that sell gas grills. For the quick disconnect on the trailer there are a couple of options. Go to a propane company and tell them exactly what you are trying to accomplish. They can sell you a female POL X male quick connect. I hope that makes sense...Jim
Old 03-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #20
neboyntx

Answer

Greetings all...

My friends at Tejas Smokers took care of me.

The standard fitting on my Montana was a 3/8 inch low pressure quick connect.

Tejas smokers had a 1/4 inch low pressure quick connect which is what he set me up with.

After some discussion we decided to grab a t-bar so I could mount both quick disconnects in the event I decide to get a patio warmer or something else goofy like a blow torch? Who knows. All said and done I received all the adapters and t-bars and various joints/couplers to make it work for 44 bones.

If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures.

Their website is listed below. They were very friendly and helpful, call and ask for Cheyenne Souza. 713-222-0077

PS Huge selection of hoses and gas pieces and parts.. and awesome smokers!

http://www.tejassmokers.com/products...as_smokers.htm
08 F-250