Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2014, 11:39 AM   #21
Jim Dow

Installing Firestone Air Bags

I'm about to install the Firestone air bags.

Where did you mount the compressor?
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Dow View Post
I'm about to install the Firestone air bags.

Where did you mount the compressor?
Most folks that bought the Firestone compressor put it under the rear seat in the cab, since it isn't supposed to get wet. I didn't buy the compressor cause I couldn't see the need for it.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #23
Bowti

Firestone Ride rites here, warranted for life,. The wires rapped around the center the of the bags on mine somehow rusted, broke and started to unravel. Called them up and they sent me new ones no questions asked.

2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
Bowti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:04 PM   #24
Jim Dow

3rd Time: Where do you mount your compressor?

I've tried 2 other time to get this reply/post to stick to this site.

I'm installing Firestone air bags; and I'm having a difficult time deciding where to mount the air compressor.

Any suggestions?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #25
Uncledavey

I have Airlift Loadlifters with the onboard compressor...love, love, love them! I will never own another truck without them both. The ability to change pressure on different road surfaces driving from the lower 48 to Alaska was great!
Uncledavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:46 AM   #26
jesse_h

I have the Firestone Ride Rite bags as well. Very easy installation. Found mine new in the box from a guy in a neighboring town for $125. Took less than 1 1/2 hours to put in and no drilling required. I placed my air valves in the rear wheel wells, makes for a nice short run of air line. As far as where to mount a compressor I have the Pacbrake exhaust brake and the compressor for that is mounted in the engine bay. I don't have it plumbed in with valve to use the compressor, easy enough to just hook air hose on quick connect coupler under hood, quick fill bags, unhook hose, and close hood.
jesse_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:34 AM   #27
KYFamily

I bought my Firestone Airbags with the compressor used for $170. The guy I bought it from had it mounted on the drivers side frame rail and that is where I mounted mine. I bought the mount kit off of Amazon so I didn't have to drill. I don't recall seeing in the instructions you couldn't mount it where it could get wet but it's tucked up on the inside frame rail under the passenger side door. For what I paid for it I'll buy a new compressor if it stops working. After using it for the past two month I would not buy one without the compressor. So handy and I can adjust it anytime I want.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #28
Jim Dow

Installed Firestone Air Bags

I just finished installing new Firestone Ride Rite airbags last night on my F250 Super Duty. I installed the airbags only - not the compressor and guage. However, after inflating the airbags to the minimum pressure, I was able to drive the truck and check out the ride - an almost noticable improvement.

It took me (plus a good helper) about 5 hours to make the basic install. It was interesting; because I have a B&W Combination hitch installed. One of the underbed mounting plates for the 5er hitch had to be drilled (one hole) out to accommodate the Firestone mounting brackets (driver side). It was a bit of hard work to finish the basic installation.

I should finish the installation of the compressor/guage setup this weekend. That install may take longer than the install of the basic system. I'm trying to do this right the first time.