Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #21
Edlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHaycraft View Post
So it isn't just my Springdale, where someone wasn't thinking when locating items near the license plate. For me, the coax connection for cable tv is located behind the plate! For the rare time I want to use it, I have to remove the license plate.

I had considered moving brake light housing / license plate tabs to the curb side ... never enough of a priority. While the license plate doesn't hang flat, it is close enough.
That is terrible. People just don't think before they act.
Edlees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #22
Edlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Before trying to remove and reinstall the light fixture a bit higher, (On my Springdale, the routed out hole behind he light was about 3" in diameter), if I were going to do it myself, I'd buy another tail light assembly with the license plate tag base (about $12) and remove the curbside fixture, install the new one and leave the old one where it is. That way, you move the license plate and don't have extra holes to try to patch and the lights stay level.

Even if the hole behind the light is only 2", you're not going to have a lot of space from the edge of the sealant to the hole. I'd leave the "mislocated one" alone and just replace the opposite side. If you were here, I'd give you one, or two lights. I replaced mine with LED lights on both my recent trailers and have them hanging in the garage on a pegboard hook collecting dust.
thanks, I think your suggestion is a good one. removing just one light and installing a replacement has to be easier in the long run.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #23
Ken / Claudia

What ever you do, reread #11, covered, blocked, unlit. A plate behind a ladder can be a reason for being stopped and cited. Heres how that can go, you are in left lane with trailer(illegal),5 over speed limit,unreadable plate. 3 violations now. The more violations a officer sees the more reason for a stop. Will it happen, I won't guess, can it happen YES.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #24
Edlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
A Google search brings up several results saying it's technically illegal to modify a plate, including California Vehicle Code 4463.

As with tinted windows, it depends on the mood of the officer who's got their eyes on you.
problem solved. I bought a new light on Amazon Prime for $9.50 and replaced the passenger side.

The dealer I bought it from is too far away to get it resolved there.

I did file a complaint with Keystone and their sales rep.

Hopefully they correct the issue at the factory.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #25
Ken / Claudia

Sounds like the best, cheapest, easy way to go and will be 100% legal. The dealer should pay you for what you spend to fix their problem.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license plate holder, license plate mount