Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
mwebb

Hitch height problem! Need help.

Just bought our first 5ver! Couldn't be happier with the exception of one issue...hitch height. First the details. We bought a 2013 Mountaineer 295RKD with a pin box (king pin) height of 48 1/2 inches...according to Keystone. I Also just bought a 2014 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 SB (with tow prep package) with a bed height of 35 inches. I want to get the Pull-Rite Super Glide to max turns to 90 degrees. Unfortunately, the tow prep package pre-drilled holes are limiting. In order to use the holes, I need to use the Reese #30156 adapter which raises height ~3 1/2 inches (15K hitch)! This gives me an installed height of 21 inches, 1 inch higher than the bed rails! I called Pull-Rite and they suggested their own adapter and the 16K Super Glide. This has a 17inch total height but this still leaves me with 52 inch height on the hitch will a King pin at 48 1/2. Anyone else have this experience??? Help??? I need to pick up the new 5ver next week. I was investigating the Sidewinder and then buying a standard, no-slide Reese hitch. Any thoughts on this???? Thanks for you help....
mwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
Javi

You could always get the Reese Elite Slider, it fits the prep kit too..
Old 11-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
mwebb

Looking for the auto slider

Thanks. I think that's a manual slider. I'm looking for an auto slider solution or the ability to max turn 90 degrees without getting out of the cab. Any other ideas?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
bobbecky

3 1/2 inches isn't really that much. It probably won't be that much once you have the pin weight on your hitch, it will definitely settle the rear of your truck a few inches. I just wish the truck makers hadn't raised the height of the bed rails like they did. I get a little nervous when in a sharp turn, watching the pin box getting so close to the bed rails.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Vet4jdc

This may help your decision...we have the same 295RKD and a 2010 F250 SD CCSB. I was back and forth a lot with my decision on hitches because many people told me that I would need a sliding hitch and others said no. It was as if I never really got a straight answer. I ended up buying the Reese 16K manual sliding hitch and now I feel like I wasted money. I have taken the truck and Mountaineer to a parking lot and jack-knifed it to see what happens. With the hitch in the towing position, I can turn about 88 degrees before it gets close ot the cab. We have parked in campgrounds all summer and i never used the slider once. I am thinking of selling the Reese and buy a Pull-rite 16K Super 5th with the industry standard rails. As for height, my truck with the hitch and 295RKD at the max adjusted height, i have about 8" of bed clearance....more than adequate and it does not ride high in the front. wish I had this info before I purchasd.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
jsmith948

We don't have your model trailer, but, on our Cougar, the pin box has a series of adjustment holes that allow the kig pin to be raised in relation to the trailer. I raised our pin one set of holes (approx 1") and I also lowered the hitch head one set of holes (approx 1"). Our trailer is level, which eliminated the chucking we were experiencing. We still have about 8" of clearance. Hope this helps

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
mwebb

Vet4jdc...Great info on the turning radius. I called Keystone and they wouldn't commit. I do wonder if you haven't had to use the manual slider why you are thinking of buying a Pull-Rite Super Glide? Also, could you tell me the height of your hitch head from the ground? Thanks.

Thanks Jsmith948. I already have the pin at the highest point.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Vet4jdc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
Vet4jdc...Great info on the turning radius. I called Keystone and they wouldn't commit. I do wonder if you haven't had to use the manual slider why you are thinking of buying a Pull-Rite Super Glide? Also, could you tell me the height of your hitch head from the ground? Thanks.

Thanks Jsmith948. I already have the pin at the highest point.
Mwebb.....I'm not actually looking at the super glide....I'm considering the Super 5th which is a fixed hitch. Check it out on the Pull-rite site. As for my pin height, it is higher than what Keystone says...with the camper level it is at approximately 50"-51" high.

You would have to get in a really tight situation to need the slider with your setup....in my honest opinion.

BTW....1" of vertical travel on the pin height does not change the ride height significantly.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #9
Pentagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vet4jdc View Post
This may help your decision...we have the same 295RKD and a 2010 F250 SD CCSB. I was back and forth a lot with my decision on hitches because many people told me that I would need a sliding hitch and others said no. It was as if I never really got a straight answer. I ended up buying the Reese 16K manual sliding hitch and now I feel like I wasted money. I have taken the truck and Mountaineer to a parking lot and jack-knifed it to see what happens. With the hitch in the towing position, I can turn about 88 degrees before it gets close ot the cab. We have parked in campgrounds all summer and i never used the slider once. I am thinking of selling the Reese and buy a Pull-rite 16K Super 5th with the industry standard rails. As for height, my truck with the hitch and 295RKD at the max adjusted height, i have about 8" of bed clearance....more than adequate and it does not ride high in the front. wish I had this info before I purchasd.

Good luck!
I agree with you I have the same model and year 5th wheeler, I tow it with a Dodge Ram 2500 diesel short box. more than adequate.
Pentagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
LittleJoe

My son has a Curtis Manual slider in his 13Ram Mega and it works well.
He needs it to get in and out of his laneway mostly as it is a tight unlevel turn. If truck and trailer are on level ground the slider is not needed, however itis very tight.

My BIL had a auto slider and I would not want anything to do with one. Required exact straight on hitch up, and very annoying on any 90 deg forward turn from a stop (the slam that makes you think someone just ran into you) JMO
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN

I would like to suggest you look at the B&W companion hitch. I have a Ford 350 6.7 super crew and found I do not need a slider as it can be adjusted for front/back and higher or lower. The thing I really like about it is the hitch can be removed from the truck and you can use your truck box with no problem to haul things. I can turn over 90 degree's with it.

-2013 F350 Lariat turbo diesel 6.7,
B&W companion hitch, 18k
-2013 Montana Mountaineer 295RKD
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
mwebb

Thanks for the great info! This forum us fantastic. I like the feedback on the turning radius. Will probably just go with a manual slider and use it only in necessary situations.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #13
R JOURNY

Quote:
Just bought our first 5ver! Couldn't be happier with the exception of one issue...hitch height. First the details. We bought a 2013 Mountaineer 295RKD with a pin box (king pin) height of 48 1/2 inches...according to Keystone. I Also just bought a 2014 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 SB (with tow prep package) with a bed height of 35 inches. I want to get the Pull-Rite Super Glide to max turns to 90 degrees. Unfortunately, the tow prep package pre-drilled holes are limiting. In order to use the holes, I need to use the Reese #30156 adapter which raises height ~3 1/2 inches (15K hitch)! This gives me an installed height of 21 inches, 1 inch higher than the bed rails! I called Pull-Rite and they suggested their own adapter and the 16K Super Glide. This has a 17inch total height but this still leaves me with 52 inch height on the hitch will a King pin at 48 1/2. Anyone else have this experience??? Help??? I need to pick up the new 5ver next week. I was investigating the Sidewinder and then buying a standard, no-slide Reese hitch. Any thoughts on this???? Thanks for you help....
Is your wife Sue?
If the dealer says you need a different hitch, they might be just trying to sell you one of their own hitches! I have the same unit and a Husky 16k Slider. Please let us know how everything works out

2013 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 295RKD
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4
SRW Crew Cab LOADED
6.7 Cummins DieseL 3:73
R JOURNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
Javi

Quote:
Thanks. I think that's a manual slider. I'm looking for an auto slider solution or the ability to max turn 90 degrees without getting out of the cab. Any other ideas?
Never really understood the fascination with an auto slider, the rare time in a hundred that you would need to slide the hitch it isn't a big deal to climb out and pull the release.
The Reese Elite slider is the hitch the Ford prep kit is designed around, that's the only reason I suggested it.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #15
Avofarmer66

to slide or not to slide

We have a 2012 Montana 3400RL and a Ram 2500 4X4 Mega cab short bed with a Husky 16K slider.

In one year 104 days camped and 11,000 miles I've never had to slide the 5th wheel.

I think Keystone tapers the nose of their trailer to allow for better turning. That is just my humble opinion. IMHO...
2012 Camped 52 days
2013 camper 104 days Reserved 11K mi.
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote