Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
MikeW

Manual operation of slide

Picked up my 2014 22rbpr recently from the dealer. While doing the the walk thru the tech wasn't sure where the manual slide out retraction shaft is inserted. I looked thru the owners manual and it wasn't in there. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Also on the control panel it shows two gray water tanks. I thought I read on this forum that there is only one. The tech said there was two, but he didn't know any details about them. Can anyone confirm if there is one or two?
Thanks,
Mike
MikeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
GaryWT

Premier uses the same panel in all there trailers it seems and since some have 2 grey tanks the panel shows 2 tanks even when there is one. As for the slide, the motor is on top and there is a spot to put the manual rod to open or close it.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like the tech that did your orientation didn't do you any favors. Your best bet at this time would be to find a nice Saturday afternoon and start crawling around, in, on top of and under your new RV and familiarize yourself with it.

If there are two gray tanks, there will be a dump valve for each. So, if you only have two dump valves, you have two tanks, if you have three dump valves, you have three tanks. Keep in mind that the dump valves handles are usually not all located in the same spot, so you may want to look thoroughly at the underside of your RV. Often the kitchen gray tank valve is tucked up under the chassis rail, out of sight and difficult to find. Once you know where it's at, no problem, but finding it can be difficult. Which illustrates the value of a good, thorough orientation at the dealership.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
jlonginav

If your slide has a decorative cap in the middle. Remove it and look there for the manual slide connection
Old 10-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
diugo
Permanent User Ban

After three years, I still have yet to discover how to retract my slide manually. No slots in the slideout area and no decorative caps. I suspect the answer lies hidden behind the coroplast---which I'm not removing until I absolutely, positively need to.

This summer I had wanted to swing by the Keystone factory in Pendleton to check out a naked undercarriage (for this and several other reasons), but they told me to get lost :/
diugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Javi

My slide motor is behind the thingy marked by the red arrow, however it requires a special 1/4" flex drive that is supposed to be included but wasn't and the dealer denied any such knowledge. I called the slide manufacture and was told to contact my dealer for the necessary tool... HaHaHa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	---KEYSTONE-PASSPORT---RL-8647-5661.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	4375  
Old 10-19-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
Festus2
Site Team

diugo -
If your Cougar 5th is anything like ours, you will probably have to look, as you suspected, in the underbelly.

We have a small cutout in the coroplast which provides access to the manual slide out crank. The cutout flap is held is place by a couple of plastic zip ties and once let down will give you access to the crank.

Our cutout is located about a foot or so in front of the entrance steps and about 2 feet in.

You'll have to get on all fours, your stomach or back - whatever works best for you - crawl under and have a peek. The cutout is in line with the outer edge of the slide.

Let us know if you find it.

I think a 3/4" ratchet driver will do. You'll also need to disconnect the battery connection to the motor to prevent a "back" current from damaging your motor when cranking the slide in or out by hand.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Wow, Javi, I would have never guessed to look above the slideout for the motor! Your rig must have a very futuristic slideout linkage.

In my case, Festus2 wins the prize. I, too, already have a cutout in the coroplast, secured with tie wraps, in exactly the location he describes. I always wondered what for. Next time I'm under the trailer, I'll cut the straps and take a gander.

BTW, just found this official document, which also mentions the tidbit about first disconnecting the battery: http://www.lippertrepairparts.com/pd...ideout-Web.pdf (Kinda wondering how "backfeed current" can flow through an open switch.)

Thanks Festus!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

diugo -

I am eagerly awaiting my "prize" in the mail. Will it clear customs? Do I need to sign for it? Is it less than $10,000 - the maximum $$ allowed between our two countries??

Like you, I'm not sure about how the "back current" is created but I'll take Lippert's word for it IF I should ever have to use the manual crank. You can bet that it will be pouring down rain and that I'll be crawling around in mud underneath!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
CHIEF MK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
My slide motor is behind the thingy marked by the red arrow, however it requires a special 1/4" flex drive that is supposed to be included but wasn't and the dealer denied any such knowledge. I called the slide manufacture and was told to contact my dealer for the necessary tool... HaHaHa
Yep that's where ours is. Our Passport came with the flex extension that fits into the motor. During the walk around the tech showed me how to do it.
CHIEF MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
CHIEF MK

Our passport also shows two gray water indicators, but we only have the one. Generic panel I suppose.
CHIEF MK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:32 PM   #12
KJcachers

My Bullet 246rbs has the same panel issue showing 2 greys but I only have 1. Was told by dealer it's a generic panel used in many models. BTW, my slide has manual releases on each end accessed from outside under the rubber seals. Once released its a push/pull thing from there.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
diugo
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Is it less than $10,000 - the maximum $$ allowed between our two countries??

Like you, I'm not sure about how the "back current" is created but I'll take Lippert's word for it IF I should ever have to use the manual crank.
Darn it, I forgot all about that pesky $10K limit. That means the prize will simply be returned to me. Oh well---I meant well.

Regarding the fictional backcurrent, the manual originally read: Be sure to disconnect the battery, to prevent your otherwise helpful DW from fiddling with the slide switch while you are squeezed under the trailer, with your hands and face in close proximity to a solid steel ratchet handle attached directly to the shaft of a high torque DC motor.

For some mysterious reason, that wording was changed.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
MikeW

Ok, found the motor on top of the slide. The flexible shaft was in a drawer with the manuals. I see how it fits into the end of the motor and looks pretty straight forward on how to use. I need to go look at it again as there has to be an access cover that can be removed. Had to retract the slide part ways to see the motor.
Only found two dump handles. Thank you for help in figuring out my two issues.

Mike
Old 10-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
MikeW

Looked again tonight and there isn't an access panel. You have to reach over the top of the slide to access the motor.

All we do is dry camp and this time of year use a lot of propane. Anyone see a problem in switching out the 20lb tanks for 30 ib'ers? Would need a bigger tank cover and longer all thread. I think everything else should fit and clearance should be ok.
Old 10-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #16
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Looked again tonight and there isn't an access panel. You have to reach over the top of the slide to access the motor.

All we do is dry camp and this time of year use a lot of propane. Anyone see a problem in switching out the 20lb tanks for 30 ib'ers? Would need a bigger tank cover and longer all thread. I think everything else should fit and clearance should be ok.
Other than increased weight on the hitch there is no reason why you can't switch to 30's...

Yeah, the only access panel is the little rectangle thingy I marked with the red arrow. It has two plugs with rounded heads on them, you pop them out and there are screws behind them. I found that my arm isn't long enough (72" wingspan) to reach the motor with the slide in nor am I able to get my forearm in the limited space. So if my slide motor ever stops working I'm gonna see how good my extended warranty with roadside service really is.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
So if my slide motor ever stops working I'm gonna see how good my extended warranty with roadside service really is.
Javi -

I have Good Sam's emergency roadside service plan and once, when our 5th wheel was hooked up to the truck and we were going to unhook, one of the front landing jacks gave out. I couldn't unhook the truck from the 5ver using the manual jack because the gears in the jack were trashed. The TV and 5th were "married".

I gave Good Sam a call and asked them to come out and see what they could do but they refused saying that I could still move both units and for me to take the 5th wheel in to a repair facility for repair. I wasn't disabled in that I couldn't go anywhere - I could move.

It would be interesting to see what they would have said if our slide was out and couldn't be retracted. I certainly wouldn't be going anywhere with the slide out!

You might want to call your emergency roadside service provider and gave them a hypothetical case of a inoperable slide motor and see what they say.
Old 10-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #18
eanddrice

I couldn't find any flexible "thingy" to manually move the slide on our Passport. I did find the drive motor with the 1/4" hex drive on it. I work at Ace Hardware, so I purchased a flexible drive extension for 3.00 and it works like a charm with my battery operated Dewalt drill.
eanddrice is offline   Reply With Quote